Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 06:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

I have second gen Ipad that I have not updated in over a year...my desktop with my ITunes account has had issues with its wi-fi card/ability and I can't connect to the Internet with it...
I don't know how to set up my account on my husband's computer--where he has his Itunes account--

Now I am in another state while remodeling is underway on second home.
I am getting message that the storage on my Ipad is getting full--it is running sluggish, doesn't want to move very quickly and acting quirky...but my Cloud account has lot of storage--pay for 20 and have 13 open...

I know I have lot of photos on my IPad----some of them from the remodeling project--and other stuff that could probably go to the Cloud. I deleted all the older magazines I had downloaded to read in past. I selectrively deleted some apps I no longer use. I went through and selectively deleted some photos as well but there are still too many I am sure.
My mail accounts seem like they are using lot of storage--
is that because I have lot of stuff saved or because I have not cleaned out my SENT folder...
I do delete my TRASH and JUNK weekly.
I don't have this Ipad tied to my data plan--only Internet useage--so am not carrying lot of texts...

I do not automatically save photos to my Cloud account--
that option is turned off in my SETTINGS--

IF I turn that on it seems that many--maybe not all on my Ipad-- will be uploaded to my Cloud account---
is that correct?
What album(s) gets sent to the Cloud if I turn that option on?
And if I do that, how would I view them or print them...
I know that probably sounds pretty ignorant--so yes--I cop to that...

I also have a portable hard drive at the house--
is there a way to connect this IPad to that and manually move photos over and free up storage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 06:47 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Did you check Usage under Settings to see what are the memory hogs? For me, the highest percent of storage were photos and videos and next was email. I didn't do the iCloud thing, but that's an option. Instead I hard-wire-connected my iPad to my computer and transferred most of the photos and then deleted them from the iPad. Since I can access the email from my computer, I read them and saved them there, and then deleted them from my iPad, too.

I do wish I knew about using the iCloud because then I could answer your questions about album storage and access.

I wasn't very savvy when I bought the iPad and didn't realize how small the storage capacity really is.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:59 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
You need to enable the iCloud Photo Library.

There's an option to NOT KEEP THE FULL RES PICS ON MY PHONE. Choose that.
It will keep smaller phone friendly versions on your phone and the larger ones in iCloud.

Read more here or Google PHOTO STREAM IOS

iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream: What's the difference? | iMore

Old 10-02-2015, 08:30 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Thanks

I don't think it is my phone that has the storage issue
it isn't acting wonky--but my Ipad--that is where I got the message about almost full storage

I deleted many of the ebooks I had on my Ipad--they are on Cloud and easy enough to move to Ipad when I want to read--that is just the default on my Amazon Kindle account--
so maybe that saved some space...

I just don't have my desktop computer around to look at past emails when I need to
and it needs repair or upgrade to new one anyway

I will check out the link--thanks...

Old 10-02-2015, 08:37 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Do the iCloud Photo Library. It will take up some space on iCloud, but if you paid for more than it should be fine. If you had access to iTunes on a computer, it can show you what's eating up the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets