Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 05:58 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,438 times

Advertisements

this is probably a stupid question but I don't want to damage my Kindle....

I am travelling out of town this weekend for a festival and it's going to be in the 90's there. I take my Kindle with me everywhere but it won't fit in my crossbody bag that I'm using. I planned on leaving it hidden in the car - then it hit me. The interior will be hotter than outside. I'll be taking a cooler for my water and wondered if that might be the answer - put it in a ziploc bag and wrap in a towel to protect it more - but keep it cooler than the 100+ degrees it will be inside the car.....

Am I crazy? Any other suggestions? I will be eating Breakfast alone on the trip up and possibly dinner on the way back and typically would have the kindle handy for that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 07:46 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Not a stupid question at all. But you have nothing to worry about. The inside of a car, even in Phoenix when its 120 outside, will not damage your Kindle. Silicon... the stuff inside that makes the chips in the Kindle... its melting point is 2,577 degrees.
DO NOT STORE IT IN A COOLER. lol
MAYBE, for your piece of mind, wait a few minutes before turning it on if it's been in a hot car for awhile. But really... this is a non issue.

We IT Folk like to keep electronics cool, no doubt. But most electronics can take seriously hot temps without any damage at all, especially when not being used.
I wouldn't recommend sitting in a car that's been sealed in Phoenix when it's 120 out and USING a laptop. But storing it? NO WORRIES.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:39 AM

Thanks Peregrine! It's become an appendage to me, and even though I still read paper books, I'd be lost with out my kindle...

Old 07-12-2017, 12:29 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Personal experience - I left a Kindle on the dashboard of my car one sunny afternoon in late spring. It was one of the old ones, the first Kindle Touch - no backlight, had a physical home button. It got toasted, was completely bricked.

I now have a Kindle Voyage. I've left it in the console of my car during the hot summer months, and heat has never damaged it.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:29 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
On the dashboard? Uh.. yea.

OK, let me just amend my post a bit:
DO NOT STORE ANY ELECTRONIC IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR ANY EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. It would have been fine under a seat.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:28 AM

my plan is to put it under the seat before I leave the house. I have a small tote on the floor in the back seat area that will help block it from sight and keep it under the seat. I am planning on parking in a deck - a little more shady than the street lots - if I can find a place. thanks for the advice.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:17 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
On the dashboard? Uh.. yea.
Stupid is as stupid does.

Thing was that it didn't get over 65 degrees that afternoon, but it was sunny and more than enough to toast my Kindle.

Quote:
OK, let me just amend my post a bit:
DO NOT STORE ANY ELECTRONIC IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR ANY EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. It would have been fine under a seat.
My point was that you could be ignorant, even stupid (like me), and cook a Kindle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets