Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 04:40 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

I have an older Samsung Tab A that I really like, but it's terribly slow. And now that I have google fiber, it's even more annoying. I have no problem replacing it at this point. I use this tablet almost exclusively for email, reading news, searching/cruising on the internet, using forums and social media, and buying crap on Amazon. I rarely stream or watch movies on it, and I don't read books on it because of the glossy screen. I do sometimes take photos with it, but high quality isn't really necessary.

I want a 7-8 inch wifi only tablet, but might consider a 10". No need for 4g. I don't want an ipad or any Apple product. I'm very comfortable and happy with Android. Don't need high HD quality, but my reading vision is not great so clarity of printed words matters. I want to keep the price as low as reasonable because, IMO, these become antiquated within just a few years.

Suggestions?

I'll add one more issue: I'm seeing Amazon Fire tablets at rather incredible prices. And we already have Alexa. I know the fire tablets aren't Android, but for these prices, it might make sense to adjust. HOWEVER, I do need to be able to easily access, update, edit, add to Google calendar, Google email, and Yahoo email. Is that possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 11:04 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
See my post in the other thread.

And...

Can You Access Internet Websites on the Kindle Fire? | Chron.com

Is a good explanation of accessing the Internet with a Fire.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:59 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
I know this thread is a bit older, but figured I'd jump in as the owner of multiple Fire tablets.

The Fire actually is Android, and can be sideloaded with the Google Play Store fairly easily. I won't go through the steps here, but you can find instructions on the web.

Internet access is the same as with any other tablet; connect to wireless and you have internet.

Overall, the Fire will do just about anything a midrange 7" tablet will do and is reliable. I've owned 3 for about 2 years now (one for me, one for each daughter) and had zero problems with them. The daughters' tablets are both cracked due to their clumsiness, but still work just fine.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:05 PM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times
Another vote for the Amazon Fire Tablet. Best deal ever!
We have three at home and have left the iPad world.
I still use the old Fire 7 tablet. For reading, and sometimes watching videos from Prime, Netflix, Youtube.
Three years old now and still works! I put in a 32 gig sdcard which contains books and movies, for offline access.

For accessing Gmail and Google calendar, I just use the Silk Browser and login like in any browser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets