Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times

Advertisements

I'm on my fifth Kindle (totally addicted to Amazon) but thinking of getting an IPad for the experience. I have questions if someone can help me out?

I. The IPad connects with your home Wi-Fi? And elsewhere?

2. Looks like the entry level is just $280?
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Wi...-1-spons&psc=1

. .But "Wi-Fi and Cellular" is $460. What does that mean? (+Cell phone?). There's a 10" 'Wi-fi and Cellular" for $630:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NHNG1GQ..._air_b503?th=1

3. There are a bunch of offerings that are Renewed (i.e., refurbished); is this recommended?

4. Can I access my Kindle book library on an IPad?

5. Finally: What are the biggest advantages and differences between an IPad versus a Kindle? Googling "ipad versus kindle fire." A lot of the language on some of the sites is a mystery to me.

Thanks!

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 04-14-2019 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 08:10 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm on my fifth Kindle (totally addicted to Amazon) but thinking of getting an IPad for the experience. I have questions if someone can help me out?

I. The IPad connects with your home Wi-Fi? And elsewhere?

There are 2 versions of iPad - the wiFi and cellular. The WiFi version connects anywhere there is a WiFi connection like at a hotel or coffee shop (or at home).

2. Looks like the entry level is just $280?
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Wi...-1-spons&psc=1

Yes, the iPads with lowest memory are pretty reasonable - just make sure you get one with enough memory. I personally think it's worth it to spend a few bucks more and get one with more.

. .But "Wi-Fi and Cellular" is $460. What does that mean? (+Cell phone?). There's a 10" 'Wi-fi and Cellular" for $630:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NHNG1GQ..._air_b503?th=1

The cellular ones connect just like a phone and your cellular provider will charge for another device on your plan. If I'm out of WiFi range, I just connect using my personal hotspot on my phone.

3. There are a bunch of offerings that are Renewed (i.e., refurbished); is this recommended?

I always buy the refurbished from the Apple website. They are as good as new and come with the same warranty. You will usually save a little bit on these.

4. Can I access my Kindle book library on an IPad?

Yes, there is a Kindle app, but the iPad is a little bulkier and heavier.

5. Finally: What are the biggest advantages and differences between an IPad versus a Kindle? Googling "ipad versus kindle fire." A lot of the language on some of the sites is a mystery to me.

I don't have a Kindle reader, but my husband has a Kindle Fire. It's just another tablet, but to me, it's not nearly as versatile as the iPad. I have thought about getting a Kindle just for reading, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend the extra money when the iPad does the job.

Thanks!
See my responses above.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
See my responses above.
Thank you! So your IPad is more versatile? How so?

Old 04-14-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Thank you! So your IPad is more versatile? How so?
I assume you are talking iPad vs Kindle Fire tablet - not the Kindle readers. I think it boils down to the screen size and the apps available for the iPad - you can almost do anything on the iPad you would do on a computer.

I use Google maps, Yelp, lots of games, Facebook, You Tube - to me the iPad is superior to a Kindle Fire in that respect. I suppose you could get the same experience on an Android type tablet as well, but since we have other Apple products, the IPad syncs with those as well.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I assume you are talking iPad vs Kindle Fire tablet - not the Kindle readers. I think it boils down to the screen size and the apps available for the iPad - you can almost do anything on the iPad you would do on a computer.

I use Google maps, Yelp, lots of games, Facebook, You Tube - to me the iPad is superior to a Kindle Fire in that respect. I suppose you could get the same experience on an Android type tablet as well, but since we have other Apple products, the IPad syncs with those as well.
I have HBO, and do YouTube and Facebook on my 10" Fire. Watch MSMBC .

Old 04-14-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I have HBO, and do YouTube and Facebook on my 10" Fire. Watch MSMBC .
In that case, if you’re happy with the Fire, it's definitely cheaper than the iPad.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
In that case, if you’re happy with the Fire, it's definitely cheaper than the iPad.
Thank you for your input. Cheaper is not the issue. I'm wondering what the advantages are of the IPad versus the Kindle. The IPad may have a slot for a thumb drive? And better business and graphic software? And you can get a pen and take notes directly on the screen?

On that $280 entry level one I linked to, the first reviewer said they used an Apple pencil and some software called ProCreate to do graphics.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 AM

What tablet is best for you may not be what's best for me. The iPad meets all my needs whereas the Kindle Fire doesn't have the same functionality for what I use it for. You can Google iPad vs Kindle Fire and find lots of articles written by people who have more objective reviews of what each device does or doesn't do. For me, a main advantage is the compatibility with my Mac and iPhone and the iCloud synchronization that lets me share my photos and documents across all devices.

Yes, the graphics on an iPad are very good - I'm not sure Kindle has that functionality so that would be a definite plus. And, no there is no port for a thumb drive on the iPad - you would download content from the web or iCloud.

I wish I could be of more help, but I can only tell you that I prefer the iPad for my needs.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Amazon devices are deeply integrated into the Amazon ecosystem. Apple devices are deeply rooted in Apples world. There are pros and cons to both.
Personally I don't love either company but I would go with Apple all day. Better screens, better hardware generally. Also the app store on an Apple device is 3 times the size of Amazon's.
Amazons #1 reason to want to sell you a device is to get you to buy more stuff from Amazon. And they beat you over the head with it. Some devices even have ads on the lockscreens while giving yo a measly $20 of the device.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:26 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
I agree with Moonlady and Peregrine. iPad is better for me, but may not be for you. I access my Kindle library on the iPad all of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets