U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 01:13 PM

2,710 posts, read 5,184,643 times

Advertisements

The password as soon as you try to turn on the Ipad. I mean the password to the whole device.

New question, what if somebody forgot their password to a Windows 10 laptop? How would you reload a new OS with no data?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 12:46 PM

7,418 posts, read 4,306,608 times
That’s the lock code, as I understand it.

If she had forgotten her iCloud password, that’s fixable. But the lock code, I could find nothing about unlocking a forgotten-code device in my iPad Missing Manual book.

Call Apple Support if you cannot find an answer by online searching. I find it hard to believe this has not happened to other people. Did she ever write the code down on paper? An older person is likely to have done that. The question is whether she forgot where it is!

Old 11-22-2020, 02:56 PM

6,239 posts, read 10,066,806 times
FWIW, similar problem happened to me with a (supposedly) brand new iPad.

My son bought it as Xmas present last year. The first thing I did was only just power it on. Did not enter any passcode or anything else. A few days later tried to start using it, and first thing it wanted was a passcode. Well I never entered one so had no clue.

I my research re how to recover/change passcode, the only thing Apple offered/allowed was a complete re-installation of the OS ( which wipes out any and all saved data). Well I had nothing on it to lose, so took it to Apple Store, and they reload the OS, and then I created a passcode, which is still working now. (and is written down)

My suspicion is it was not a new unit, but a return that wasn't reset/tested before going back on shelf for sale. That or it's Apple's way of pushing their iCloud service for backups ;-)

OP, hope you have a backup of anything important.

BTW, the proper term is "passcode", for an iPad lock

Old 12-31-2020, 02:01 AM

18,095 posts, read 5,074,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
FWIW, similar problem happened to me with a (supposedly) brand new iPad.

My son bought it as Xmas present last year. The first thing I did was only just power it on. Did not enter any passcode or anything else. A few days later tried to start using it, and first thing it wanted was a passcode. Well I never entered one so had no clue.

I my research re how to recover/change passcode, the only thing Apple offered/allowed was a complete re-installation of the OS ( which wipes out any and all saved data). Well I had nothing on it to lose, so took it to Apple Store, and they reload the OS, and then I created a passcode, which is still working now. (and is written down)

My suspicion is it was not a new unit, but a return that wasn't reset/tested before going back on shelf for sale. That or it's Apple's way of pushing their iCloud service for backups ;-)

OP, hope you have a backup of anything important.

BTW, the proper term is "passcode", for an iPad lock
Yeah. In late September I spaced out re the last four digits on my new iPhone lock code. I was told the same thing you were told. Fortunately, I remembered the rest of the code later that day, so I didn’t have to go to an Apple Store.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:17 AM

1,580 posts, read 467,530 times
I am locked out of my new iPad. I don't even remember changing the passcode, but something happened to lock me out of it.

I tried to follow the YouTube tutorials to use Recovery Mode, but I have not gotten it to work.

I went to the physical Apple store for help, but they won't help me right now during the Covid 19 shut downs. They are open, but they are just into selling right now, not into supporting their products -- which is one of my main reasons for choosing apple products. They usually have phenomenal product support.

They told me to first call the Apple help line at 1-800-275-2273 and they should be able to walk me through the recovery process. That process is supposed to reset the ipad to the original settings it had when it was brand new. I will lose all my data, apps, and settings but at least I will be able to use my iPad, setting it up from scratch.

I did back up my iPad some time ago, so once I get that far, I can go to my Apple iCloud account and restore much of my lost material from iCloud backup. I know from experience it won't restore all of my apps, and I will have to go back and download them again one by one, but at least I won't have to pay for them again. Once purchased they are mine, I just have to download them again. And it won't affect any subscriptions either.

So my 3 step plan is this.

1. Try one more time to follow the YouTube tutorial how to use Restore Mode to reset my ipad.

2. Failing that, call 1-800-275-2273 and get Apple Help Desk to guide me through the reset process.

3. If both fail, they said I can come back to the physical Apple store and they will help me out. I think once I have it on file that I have called the Apple Help, they can confirm that I tried that route when I go to the store. Without that, they wouldn't help me during this Covid 19 shutdown era in here Sacramento, even while they remain open.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:09 AM

14,069 posts, read 21,734,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am locked out of my new iPad. I don't even remember changing the passcode, but something happened to lock me out of it.

I tried to follow the YouTube tutorials to use Recovery Mode, but I have not gotten it to work.

I went to the physical Apple store for help, but they won't help me right now during the Covid 19 shut downs. They are open, but they are just into selling right now, not into supporting their products -- which is one of my main reasons for choosing apple products. They usually have phenomenal product support.

They told me to first call the Apple help line at 1-800-275-2273 and they should be able to walk me through the recovery process. That process is supposed to reset the ipad to the original settings it had when it was brand new. I will lose all my data, apps, and settings but at least I will be able to use my iPad, setting it up from scratch.

I did back up my iPad some time ago, so once I get that far, I can go to my Apple iCloud account and restore much of my lost material from iCloud backup. I know from experience it won't restore all of my apps, and I will have to go back and download them again one by one, but at least I won't have to pay for them again. Once purchased they are mine, I just have to download them again. And it won't affect any subscriptions either.

1. Try one more time to follow the YouTube tutorial how to use Restore Mode to reset my ipad.

2. Failing that, call 1-800-275-2273 and get Apple Help Desk to guide me through the reset process.

3. If both fail, they said I can come back to the physical Apple store and they will help me out. I think once I have it on file that I have called the Apple Help, they can confirm that I tried that route when I go to the store. Without that, they wouldn't help me during this Covid 19 shutdown era in here Sacramento, even while they remain open.
Make sure the Youtube video is for the exact model you have. I have 3 different ipads and they all have a different way to do recovery mode.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:02 PM

17,473 posts, read 31,212,190 times
I don't use passcodes for the iPads at home. The idea of a passcode is for security reasons, so Apple does not want to assume liabilities related to such things. Therefore, if it's not possible for one to find the passcode, the only remedy is to reset the iPad or iPhone to factory settings. There is software, other than Apple's that can be used to unlock passcodes without having to reset the iPad. But if it is still under warranty, then I just call Apple Support, or take the iPad to an Apple store for resetting it to factory specs.

I don't use iCloud, but if the device is new, it does not hurt to back it up to iCloud since it is free up to a certain amount of data. I just back my iPhone and wife's iPad and iPhone to our computers at home, and create logical passcodes that are difficult to forget. If any doubts about passcodes, write it down on paper first, before saving it on the iPad. Make sure that the passcode number identifies the specific device. For example: my name, device model, "xxxxxx" (passcode), and date. Then put the note in a safe place (the same place where you store important documents such as birthdate certificates, and so on). Or just stored it along other passwords for the network and others at home.

If you change the passcode, then go back to the paper you stored with the older passcode, and replace the date and passcode with the new date and passcode numbers.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:58 PM

18,095 posts, read 5,074,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

I’m in Jackson, Mississippi right now and I bought a new cable the other day (lightning to USB-C so that I can use my 36 watt 12v USB-C Belkin adapter to charge my 2020 iPhone SE in my car). I ordered it online for store pickup (which you make an appointment for). Once they notify you back you’re supposed to ‘check in’ online. I had left my iPad in the car (this was at the Apple Store in nearby Ridgeland....the only Apple Store in Mississippi). I didn’t yet have my iPhone set up with e-mail. The police officer there (sad that they now seem to be omnipresent at Apple Stores) told me that not ‘checking in’ wouldn’t be an issue. I waited , and I happened to be next in line during my actual appointment range. I got the cable, and I asked that rep if I’d be able to make a Genius appointment to get the e-mail set up on my iPhone. She said no, and told me that because of COVID they are only doing Genius appointments re hardware issues.

This is an open air, somewhat upscale shopping center that is fairly quiet, so I decided to have 1-800-275-2273 help me then and there. I called, and they were...as usual....fantastic, and got me squared away.

When I’d had this phone for only about a week (a few months ago) I spaced out re the last four digits of the lock code. I called 1-800-275-2273 at that point, and they told me the same thing they told you about a hard reset being needed. Fortunately, a few hours later, I remembered the last four digits of the lock code.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:17 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,137,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't use passcodes for the iPads at home. The idea of a passcode is for security reasons, so Apple does not want to assume liabilities related to such things.
Apple could not be held liable for anything you do on your iPad. Providing a pin code for you to use is only for your protection if the device is lost or stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets