U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 01:36 PM

4,411 posts, read 10,121,685 times

Advertisements

I’d like to hear from anyone who has used both. I currently use the Kindle app on my iPad but have been thinking about getting an actual Kindle device. The main driver is the size, portability and ability to read outdoors. I’m just trying to decide if it’s worth it.

The frugal person in me says why buy a device that only does one thing when you already have a multi use device that works.

So, if you’ve used both, let me know your thoughts or why I should or shouldn’t buy a Kindle device. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 01:40 PM

13,638 posts, read 6,775,150 times
I’ve used a Kindle since the very first, and last used it probably with the first Kindle Oasis a few years ago.

I’ve used the Kindle App since it became available for the iPad. It’s what I use exclusively now. I usually only read at home but do some reading on my iPhone XS Max which isn’t that much smaller than the smallest Kindle.

The advantage of the Kindle is the small size and ability to read easily in sunlight. The disadvantage is it’s a one trick pony and also really is only good for Kindle files - whereas with the iPad I can also read epub files with the Apple reader.

If you’re not in a rush wait until mid year when the next Prime Day occurs and pick up the cheapest Kindle to try out, or spurge and try the Paperwhite which has crisper resolution and better lighting.

The advantage is that if you wouldn’t otherwise bring your iPad out it’s a lot less likely to get dropped and broken...

Old 03-15-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’ve used a Kindle since the very first, and last used it probably with the first Kindle Oasis a few years ago.

I’ve used the Kindle App since it became available for the iPad. It’s what I use exclusively now. I usually only read at home but do some reading on my iPhone XS Max which isn’t that much smaller than the smallest Kindle.

The advantage of the Kindle is the small size and ability to read easily in sunlight. The disadvantage is it’s a one trick pony and also really is only good for Kindle files - whereas with the iPad I can also read epub files with the Apple reader.

If you’re not in a rush wait until mid year when the next Prime Day occurs and pick up the cheapest Kindle to try out, or spurge and try the Paperwhite which has crisper resolution and better lighting.

The advantage is that if you wouldn’t otherwise bring your iPad out it’s a lot less likely to get dropped and broken...
Interesting thank you. It’s pretty much what I’ve been thinking.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:38 PM

5,329 posts, read 3,082,234 times
I have a Kindle Paperwhite, and it's much easier on my eyes than a laptop. I've not tried the other Kindles, but I really recommend the Paperwhite.

My wife has the current version, and I have last year's version. I like mine much better - it just has a better feel. Not sure if it's still available though. If you buy one, get the $40 Amazon cover - don't go the cheap route.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:33 PM
KCZ

2,772 posts, read 1,591,905 times
I've used the Kindle app on an 8" Windows tablet, the Kindle app on an iPad mini, and a Kindle Oasis. I'd say they all work equally well for reading. The tablets give you more functionality but they're much heavier, which can be bothersome if you have any hand issues, and their battery life is not as good as the Kindle probably because it's too tempting to use them for other things besides reading. So it's a trade off...do you want more functionality but with more weight and worse battery life? Or less stuff because you're only going to use it for reading but it's easier to hold and lasts longer?

Old 03-18-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I've used the Kindle app on an 8" Windows tablet, the Kindle app on an iPad mini, and a Kindle Oasis. I'd say they all work equally well for reading. The tablets give you more functionality but they're much heavier, which can be bothersome if you have any hand issues, and their battery life is not as good as the Kindle probably because it's too tempting to use them for other things besides reading. So it's a trade off...do you want more functionality but with more weight and worse battery life? Or less stuff because you're only going to use it for reading but it's easier to hold and lasts longer?
Yes, I think that's the trade off. I have a tablet pillow and a plug next to my spot on the couch, but if Im not sitting there, the weight of the tablet and the battery life are what is driving my desire for a Kindle device. I think I'll wait until Prime Day and see if I can snag one at a good price.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:51 PM

13,638 posts, read 6,775,150 times
Don't know if you'll see this in time but Best Buy has the Paperwhite $35 off ($94.99) and the regular Kindle $30 off ($59.99) right now.

Same deal available on Amazon and you get 3 months of Kindle Unlimited free if you've never signed up for it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets