U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 12:37 PM

4,536 posts, read 13,470,968 times

Advertisements

Problem with messaging began sometime after 7:30pm last night when I had my last messaging conversation. This morning cannot send nor receive from anyone. I was just on the phone with Apple Support and we tried everything she could think of with no luck.

iPad Air 2 running OS 10.3.1 (yes, old, but never have enough space to install an update unless I delete practically everything.)
Only have 16GB total with 4GB taken by current OS, so only have 12GB usable at any given time which isn't much. Currently have 3.3 GB free.
Only wifi, no cellular capabilty.

Prior to calling Apple, turned off wifi, turned off iPad. Deleted apps, photos, saved messages. Turned off wifi, turned off iPad. Repeated all these things.

No problems at all with emailing or going on the 'net. Facetime is fine. Obviously city-data is fine. Everything is absolutely fine and dandy except messaging.

Even reset network. We use Comcast.

Back in the days of Basic and floppy disks and dial-up I was a guru. Today I'm an old geezer who doesn't understand how anything works. Is it possible that although I can get online with Comcast there's an issue with Comcast about messaging? Does messaging run any differently than plain old 'net surfing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 05:30 PM

6,220 posts, read 10,044,995 times
no expert here, but can you delete and re-install the Messaging app ?

Old 04-05-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
no expert here, but can you delete and re-install the Messaging app ?
I'm not sure. It may be part of the OS? Worth looking!

Old 04-06-2020, 06:53 AM

14,061 posts, read 21,713,883 times
Did they have you do a hard reset? Did they have you do a restore using itunes?

Old 04-06-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Did they have you do a hard reset? Did they have you do a restore using itunes?
Yes, did a hard/forced restart (if that's the same as hard reset). No, no restore using itunes.

The way it was left after my second session on the phone with Apple Support was that I purchased more cloud storage and started a backup (increased from the free 5GB to 50GB which is way more than needed since my ipad only has a total of 16GB). Estimated time it would take said 45 minutes, then it jumped to an hour. I moved the ipad into the room with my modem and plugged it into the charger. Two hours later I looked, and the estimated time had jumped to 7 hours ... seven!

I cancelled the backup, connected my ipad to my desktop, transferred all my photos (about 5GB), then deleted 99% of them from my ipad. Instead of freeing up usable space I had less usable space! Poking around storage I found about 6MB of "shared photo stream" (whatever that is, something I had not seen before) and a few MB that had been used to, I guess, prepare for the backup.

Of the 16GB, 3.81GB must house the iOS, 8.07GB for apps (messages 1.95GB, photos and camera 1.55GB, and the rest (24 apps) taking up various amounts of MBs), and 4.13GB usable.

Where things stand right now, I can download games from the app store (tested that ability) and access my account on apple.com ... both places recognize my Apple ID (user and password). If I want to message or facetime, the window pops up to activate them by putting in my Apple ID. I do that and it spins for a couple of minutes and comes back to say "unable to connect to the message (or facetime) server".

It appears there's some kind of "wall" between my ipad and the message and facetime servers. No other "walls", just these two things. At the bottom of the App Store it shows my ID and the balance I still have on iTunes gift cards. Facetime is an app I can delete. Message I can't.

Ha ... maybe figuring this out is how I'm supposed to keep myself busy :-)

Old 04-06-2020, 10:03 AM

UPDATE! Made a third call to Apple Support. This time I was asked to look at the date and time in settings to make sure that was correct. It was. Moved on to the same old same old of trying to activate Message with Apple ID. Same thing - stuck. And when this happens Settings is frozen, so I have to shut off the ipad.

For whatever reason, with no explanation whatsoever, when I turned it back on, and went to Settings, as usual it was frozen - unfreezes when the pop up says "cannot connect to server". But this time, for the first time, the right side of my screen was no longer frozen, and I could swipe up to the slider to turn iMessage off. That had never ever been possible. Did the same with Facetime, and the slider was also there. Turned it off.

Turned off the ipad, turned it back on, went to Settings and turned Message back on and it automatically activated. Did the same with Facetime.

I cannot explain any of it. Where those on/off sliders had disappeared to and from where they decided to emerge again is a complete mystery.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:12 AM

So now it works?

Old 04-07-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
So now it works?
Thankfully yes! When Mr. Murphy (as in Murphy's Law) and his gremlins departed, they made some messaging settings changes which I found when I messaged my other half and the message was sent to me, too. Under the section "you can be reached at these addresses", all of the emails were checked instead of just the one I associate with messaging.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:32 PM

Glad it works. It doesn't matter how it got fixed if it works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets