Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2020, 11:46 AM

525 posts, read 339,452 times

Advertisements

I want someone to please explain to me why all tablet brands will display pixelation especially on walls if it's a dark scene. This is for all HD videos downloaded directly to internal tablet space. Sometimes it looks like blobs of pixelation or just pixelation. On walls in dark scenes you can actually see the transition of different shades- the actual seperation of these different light to dark shades. I don't ever remember seeing this on TV back in the 90s. I don't have a TV so I can't compare. I haven't watched TV since early 2000s. Is it just tablets or also TV with this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 12:00 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Low quality tablets? Slow Internet connection?

Old 07-21-2020, 12:46 PM

525 posts, read 339,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Low quality tablets? Slow Internet connection?
High resolution. Kindle 10 HD. Samsung Galaxy Tablet S6 which has even higher resolution. Very high speed internet. This is why I even mentioned videos directly downloaded to tablet internal space.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:14 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
I want someone to please explain to me why all tablet brands will display pixelation especially on walls if it's a dark scene. This is for all HD videos downloaded directly to internal tablet space. Sometimes it looks like blobs of pixelation or just pixelation. On walls in dark scenes you can actually see the transition of different shades- the actual seperation of these different light to dark shades. I don't ever remember seeing this on TV back in the 90s. I don't have a TV so I can't compare. I haven't watched TV since early 2000s. Is it just tablets or also TV with this problem?
I haven’t seen this on my iPad Pro. I’m not saying you’re wrong though. I’m just saying that I have not seen that happen. If it did, i didn’t notice it.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:23 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
This is due to digital compression of the source material. In the 90’s and before TV and movies were analog so you didn’t have this problem.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:16 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
The below is a summary, strictly in layman terms and not intended to be picked apart by engineers who understand the full complexity of the issue.

RGB colorspace.

Loosely, the analog signal for the NSTC-M standard has to be translated into digital. That digital colorspace has luminance levels from 12 to 255, only allowing 243 steps. (In reality, there are more, but that is the general effect.) When there is texture and movement in a scene, everything is hunky-dory and you don't see the blocking. When the general luminance of the recording and the device are set well, the extremes don't show the blocking to the viewer. If, however, the brightness is turned up, the few blacks become grey and the differences are more apparent. Or, in scenes that were originally dark, the information hidden in what used to be the "roll-off" gets boosted, and blotches show up.

There are various ways that program material gets copied, and the end result varies. Major TV productions were often shot on 35MM film. Where that exists, a direct to digital transfer gives fantastic results. If Joe Blow has made a copy of the signal from a VHS tape, good luck. There are all sorts of variations in-between. With image data, the poorest link in the system is the limiting factor on the output.

Hearkening back to the old days, the video cameras and film chains looked for the brightest spot in an image and defaulted that to white. The darkest spot was more problematic, and a black level was set, with the signal level of all the greys in-between derived from those. A scene with a candle in a dark room could be problematic, with much of the image down in the mud. Transfer that to digital and the information in the mud got lost.

There are errors in the above explanation, but it is the easiest way to describe the general issues without getting into eyes-glazing-over territory.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:04 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
contrast ratio ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets