U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 02:30 AM

263 posts, read 95,591 times

Advertisements

Are adaptors available connecting tablets or ipads to ethernet ports? Which devices can be connected to an ethernet port? I read about a family who hardwired all their devices, including tablets. They used special adaptors that allowed enough length to comfortably read in bed, or use sitting on the living room sofa. They used no WiFi in their home. Can a gaming console be hardwired too ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 06:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,077 posts, read 34,786,238 times
You can buy third-party adapters to connect iPads' Lightning connectors to Ethernet. (Apple doesn't produce them.) It's even easier to find Ethernet adapters for micro-USB and USB-C tablets.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:32 AM

2,537 posts, read 3,873,915 times
Look at an Ethernet (Gigabit speed) to USB (version 3, connector C) converter, about $15 from Amazon.
Confirm the tablet's connection type.
I got one from Amazon for my laptop after it's Internal Ethernet died.

Note: You may not be able to connect the Ethernet AND also recharge. It will depend on the tablet and converter cable BOTH having Ethernet AND power recharging capability.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:02 AM

4,927 posts, read 3,420,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Are adaptors available connecting tablets or ipads to ethernet ports? Which devices can be connected to an ethernet port? I read about a family who hardwired all their devices, including tablets. They used special adaptors that allowed enough length to comfortably read in bed, or use sitting on the living room sofa. They used no WiFi in their home. Can a gaming console be hardwired too ?
You may have read about it, that doesn't mean you would like it. But yes it is possible.

Try using your phone while you have it plugged in and charging. Similar experience.

Kind of takes the "portable" out of it.

Here is one for a Samsung Tablet.
https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Netw.../dp/B0721XPZMQ

And for the record, it is usually not faster than Wifi. It's also not just the matter of the physical connection as previously mentioned, the OS needs to support it.

Last edited by gguerra; 07-04-2020 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-04-2020, 11:14 AM

2,270 posts, read 521,944 times
Pretty sure you can set up router to create wifi hotspot from ethernet. https://www.howtogeek.com/213638/how...-your-devices/ This would be best way to go for permanent frequent use.

For occasional use you can create a wifi hotspot using a laptop or desktop. I have occasionally done this with linux where I had to go online with some wifi only gadget. Ubuntu has this ability built in, but there is a simple commandline app called CREATE_AP that does same on any linux. Think there are windows apps too. May or may not be free, dont know, never tried such in windows. Or you might manually do it, but app makes it lot easier to set up unless you are really knowledgeable with networking.

These apps can basically use whatever kind connection the computer is using for access, yea even dialup, and convert it to generate wifi hotspot to share the connection. Requires computer has a supported wifi adapter, either built in or usb or whatever. Some wifi adapters dont support this.

As using an usb ethernet dongle on a tablet, no idea, depend if the tablets operating system supports it. Though if you search long enough probably find instructions somewhere. Since tablets designed to be ultra portable, guessing not lot demand to used wired connection for internet access.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:48 PM

6,021 posts, read 3,121,438 times
the android operating system uses the linux kernel so as long as the kernel can identify the peripheral, it will work. you need a generic u.s.b.-on the go adapter for mobile devices. i recently bought this one for my jabra u.s.b. headset for webex meetings:
https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZA-021H-00...9SIA1DS9CC4390

i dont have experience with apple, but it seems they limit compatibility to only their tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets