U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-21-2020, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Avignon, France
9,666 posts, read 5,400,781 times
Reputation: 24438

Advertisements

I just received my new IPad Pro after it’s been on back order for 3 weeks. I use the “cellular” version because I use it to pull up flight data ( charts), pre-flight checklists, weather and for logging flight hours. It’s a tad expensive, but still..... the cheapest part of flying as of yet.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2020, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Idaho
3,586 posts, read 3,068,401 times
Reputation: 7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
I wouldn't call wifi only options as for people who are broke or stingy.

Having a separate cellular plan for iPad can be costly over time. For most people, a cellular iPad makes no sense. These are mostly for enterprise use, or realtors / business people who can justify the cost.

For most consumers, wifi is perfectly fine and cellular option is pretty useless.
I guess now, per Igor, I'm broke and stingy.

Another way for people to look at it is if you and want a tablet just to use when camping (for movies downloaded via Dish, Netflix or Amazon prime), to access for quick reference when out on a deck, while working on the truck/car in the garage/driveway, back 40, in bed, etc.. a person does not need cellular access if they have internet at their house.

For cellular my Pixel 4Xl does a great job and when in my vehicles, Onstar works good too if needed due to geographic area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2020, 08:39 AM
 
26,923 posts, read 34,498,394 times
Reputation: 24482
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I guess now, per Igor, I'm broke and stingy.

Another way for people to look at it is if you and want a tablet just to use when camping (for movies downloaded via Dish, Netflix or Amazon prime), to access for quick reference when out on a deck, while working on the truck/car in the garage/driveway, back 40, in bed, etc.. a person does not need cellular access if they have internet at their house.

For cellular my Pixel 4Xl does a great job and when in my vehicles, Onstar works good too if needed due to geographic area.
I turn one the hotspot on my phone. No need to pay for an extra line. No need to spend $200 more on a tablet. I do not use the hotspot enough to justify a cellular tablet and device.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2020, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
4,409 posts, read 10,115,645 times
Reputation: 5732
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I’ve always used WiFi only iPads. I have for the last 8 years. If I need to get online when I’m away from a network I will activate the hotspot on my phone. I do that when I’m traveling. Or working away from home.

In my instance it’s part of my data plan, no real issue there.
Yep, that's what I do too. Use the hotspot on my phone to get a cellular signal on my iPad. We really only use it when traveling.

You can manage your settings on the iPad though so you can take cellular calls on your iPad. It's nice when I'm sitting reading or doing a crossword and my phone is in my purse in another room. I can just answer on my iPad!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2020, 01:57 PM
 
26,923 posts, read 34,498,394 times
Reputation: 24482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Yep, that's what I do too. Use the hotspot on my phone to get a cellular signal on my iPad. We really only use it when traveling.

You can manage your settings on the iPad though so you can take cellular calls on your iPad. It's nice when I'm sitting reading or doing a crossword and my phone is in my purse in another room. I can just answer on my iPad!
I love that feature. Or I can answer iMessages from my iPad or apple computer. With the new Apple Silicone processors making their way into the new Mini and MacBook Air, you can run iPadOS applications on those machines. The initial reports, the performance and battery life is outstanding. Not really a tablet topic. However, those lines are getting closer and closer.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2020, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Idaho
3,586 posts, read 3,068,401 times
Reputation: 7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I turn one the hotspot on my phone. No need to pay for an extra line. No need to spend $200 more on a tablet. I do not use the hotspot enough to justify a cellular tablet and device.
That will work; however, where I camp, no cell service. I tried the Onstar Internet service and it worked great; however, still limited to where there is cell service. So I dropped the net version of Onstar; however, I do keep the phone version cause it will pull in a cell signal when traveling where a handheld cell phone won't.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2020, 04:28 PM
 
26,923 posts, read 34,498,394 times
Reputation: 24482
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
That will work; however, where I camp, no cell service. I tried the Onstar Internet service and it worked great; however, still limited to where there is cell service. So I dropped the net version of Onstar; however, I do keep the phone version cause it will pull in a cell signal when traveling where a handheld cell phone won't.
There are several places where I camp where there’s no cell service. In that case, I can live without internet. I usually have a ham radio or two if I need contact with the outside world.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2020, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
29,359 posts, read 22,186,797 times
Reputation: 36375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I’ve always used WiFi only iPads. I have for the last 8 years. If I need to get online when I’m away from a network I will activate the hotspot on my phone. I do that when I’m traveling. Or working away from home.

In my instance it’s part of my data plan, no real issue there.
If you have a Verizon basic unlimited plan, hotspot data is capped at around 600 kB/sec. At that speed, doing much of anything off your hotspot is practically a no-go.

I had that level of hotspot thinking it would be sufficient for my iPad. I bumped it up to so much data per month at whatever the data speed the phone can get through its cellular connection. It’s true broadband. It’s not a ton of gigs, but plenty for how rarely I run my iPad Pro off the hotspot these days.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2020, 12:32 PM
 
1,652 posts, read 2,774,140 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you have a Verizon basic unlimited plan, hotspot data is capped at around 600 kB/sec. At that speed, doing much of anything off your hotspot is practically a no-go.

I had that level of hotspot thinking it would be sufficient for my iPad. I bumped it up to so much data per month at whatever the data speed the phone can get through its cellular connection. It’s true broadband. It’s not a ton of gigs, but plenty for how rarely I run my iPad Pro off the hotspot these days.
Depends on the plan you have. Mine through VZW is 30GB/mo at 5GUW or LTE speeds, then 600Kbp/s after that. The only time I've gone over the 30gb is on vacation when I pair and Apple TV to my phone and stream for the kiddo. That happens, we just switch to the Mrs phones hotspot though.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2020, 01:54 AM
 
18,084 posts, read 5,064,888 times
Reputation: 6413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you have a Verizon basic unlimited plan, hotspot data is capped at around 600 kB/sec. At that speed, doing much of anything off your hotspot is practically a no-go.

I had that level of hotspot thinking it would be sufficient for my iPad. I bumped it up to so much data per month at whatever the data speed the phone can get through its cellular connection. It’s true broadband. It’s not a ton of gigs, but plenty for how rarely I run my iPad Pro off the hotspot these days.
Yeah, it all depends on how one utilizes their devices.

I use e-mail a lot, and some reading of incoming text messages, and I don’t make that many phone calls at varied times.

I’ve had two particular cell lines.since 2008, one with Verizon, and one with AT&T.

I’ve had $2 per day plans on both from 2008 until last month (Unlimited talk and text for $2.00 for a day when you use it on AT&T, and I think outgoing texts on Verizon were a penny each, with unlimited talk). $100 extends the service for a year, so you get 50 days without having to add any money, and with both the balance rolled over every year.

I’ve never sought to have a phone plan that has data because, to me, it is a waste to pay for data on a screen that size. I no longer have that plan with Verizon as of last month because they’re saying they’re eliminating that service. Getting a refund issued wasn’t possible, but they had no desire to cheat me out of my credit balance, I just had to switch to a "traditional’ monthly prepaid plan on a smartphone with unlimited talk and text and 5GB of data a month (their smallest). Their newest prepaid structure rewards loyalty with a lower rate, going to the lowest after the 10th month. Their policy = if you’ve already been with then for that long in some other part of their structure (like I was), then you qualify for that lowest rate immediately. My credit balance that they owe me won’t bleed out until the middle of April of 2022. My credit balance with AT&T is about $168, and it expires in April of 2021. I called them before Christmas to ask if I could pay my normal $100 for a year and have the expiration date be April of 2022. They said no....only forward 365 days from the date of the payment is allowed. But they offered to extend me for 365 days for $10. I asked if I could do that during the first week in January, and that was fine, so I’m going to do that The beginning of the year = a good time To remember renewals, not right before Christmas.

I purchased my cellular iPad Pro in June of 2019, knowing that I could get what they call unlimited LTE for $35 per month. I use it on LTE daily, and I find new mobile uses all the time. If you hit the top 5% of users during any cycle, then they slow you down until the end of that cycle. If you’re getting close to the top 5%, then they send you a message. I’ve never hit the top 5%, but I did get that message three times in 2020, including during the current cycle. There are three days left in the current cycle, and I’m at about 46 GB.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top