Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 03:15 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,336 times

Advertisements

That is my question. When the description says "wifi only," what does that mean? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 03:31 PM

49 posts, read 99,255 times
will not work on cellular networks. Only works on WiFi networks (like what you have at home if you use a router)

Old 07-30-2020, 03:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
As an example I have a Verizon Eclipse Tablet. A give away as part of another deal. Not a great tablet but good as an emergency backup for Main PC and the laptop.

It actually has a phone number of its own though you cannot use it for phoning. Just messages.

When used around home it automatically goes wifi. If we get out of range of a wifi it knows it goes to the cell phone network.

We can also convert it to a mobile hot spot if the house internet goes out.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:03 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
There are 2 kinds of iPads. One kind allows you to connect using cellular just like your iPhone does, and the other does not. You can use WiFi on both iPads, but the "WiFi only" iPads are stuck using only WiFi, while the other type lets you subscribe to cellular like Sprint, Verizon, T-mobile.

The Wifi only models are cheaper since they don't offer cellular connectivity. The cellular capable iPads cost more. So Wifi only lets you save a small amount if you are really broke or stingy.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:16 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,382,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
There are 2 kinds of iPads. One kind allows you to connect using cellular just like your iPhone does, and the other does not. You can use WiFi on both iPads, but the "WiFi only" iPads are stuck using only WiFi, while the other type lets you subscribe to cellular like Sprint, Verizon, T-mobile.

The Wifi only models are cheaper since they don't offer cellular connectivity. The cellular capable iPads cost more. So Wifi only lets you save a small amount if you are really broke or stingy.
I wouldn't call wifi only options as for people who are broke or stingy.

Having a separate cellular plan for iPad can be costly over time. For most people, a cellular iPad makes no sense. These are mostly for enterprise use, or realtors / business people who can justify the cost.

For most consumers, wifi is perfectly fine and cellular option is pretty useless.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:48 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
I wasn't trying to insult anybody or cover every contingency. I was trying to provide a simple answer to prevent being overly long-winded. Of course WiFi is a choice. Not everybody takes their iPads out and around where WiFi is unavailable. Some people only use it at home or at work, etc, where they have WiFi 100% of the time.

I was trying to give a simple answer, not insult anybody.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:42 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,336 times
Ok I think I got it. Thanks everybody! I say this because I got a clearer picture of what I need. And I think I think I don't need cellular but will call my provider to see how and if they handle this. But I doubt I will need it since if I need cell service for internet I have it on my phone.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:11 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I was trying to give a simple answer, not insult anybody.
Then you probably shouldn't have used the term "broke or stingy". That's just absurd.
The cell version of an iPad is $100-$150 more for just to have the antenna in the device. Now, adding cell service for any provider is cheap. Verizon and Tmobile only charge $10/month to add a cell enabled tablet to your account. And it will use your data.

But most people are never going to need to use an iPad without wifi and for those that do there's also another option: using the hotspot on your phone which almost all phone plans today allow.
But no... Spend an extra $130 + $120/yr?!?

Old 11-21-2020, 11:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
I wouldn't call wifi only options as for people who are broke or stingy.

Having a separate cellular plan for iPad can be costly over time. For most people, a cellular iPad makes no sense. These are mostly for enterprise use, or realtors / business people who can justify the cost.

For most consumers, wifi is perfectly fine and cellular option is pretty useless.
I didn’t/still don’t need cellular on my iPad, and I don’t need WiFi on my cell phone although it has the feature. I keep it turned off, and if my iPad had cellular capability I would keep that turned off, too.

Different horses for different courses. Some people want everything to have every available connection type. Some do not.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I’ve always used WiFi only iPads. I have for the last 8 years. If I need to get online when I’m away from a network I will activate the hotspot on my phone. I do that when I’m traveling. Or working away from home.

In my instance it’s part of my data plan, no real issue there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets