U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-13-2020, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Surf city, NC
17,367 posts, read 10,819,107 times
Reputation: 11651

Advertisements

I feel like I’m playing Russian Roulette here of late I go to my bookmarks and they have been wiped clear. Some times it’s two days sometimes it’s more. Every few days I clear out the search engine but I’ve changed nothing on my settings...


HELP!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2020, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,537 posts, read 3,872,824 times
Reputation: 3427
You would probably get faster, better, and more accurate help if you listed specifics.
Like the tablet manufacturer and it's OS name and version.
Plus what App you're using. I assume it's a Browser who's bookmarks are disappearing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2020, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Surf city, NC
17,367 posts, read 10,819,107 times
Reputation: 11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
You would probably get faster, better, and more accurate help if you listed specifics.
Like the tablet manufacturer and it's OS name and version.
Plus what App you're using. I assume it's a Browser who's bookmarks are disappearing.
Sorry it’s an Apple IPad I not very computer savvy but the info on it says it’s a 6th gen. I use Bing as my search engine and of late when I bookmark a website within a few days it’s been deleted. No one else has access to it but me. It didn’t always do this it started maybe a month ago.

Hope this helps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2020, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,537 posts, read 3,872,824 times
Reputation: 3427
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sorry it’s an Apple IPad I not very computer savvy but the info on it says it’s a 6th gen. I use Bing as my search engine and of late when I bookmark a website within a few days it’s been deleted. No one else has access to it but me. It didn’t always do this it started maybe a month ago.
Unfortunately, I'm an Android guy so I don't know iPads or even Bing.
However, one possibility that occurred to me is a bookmark synchronizer.
This is a feature within the browser, or an app that works with the browser, that syncs your bookmarks on your PC and tablet and phone. If there was one started on your tablet, and it was set up wrong, it might be sync'ing your tablet's Bing bookmarks to a non-existing twin, thus removing the tablets non-matching entities. The irregularity of your problem suggests that the wiping of your bookmarks may be this synchronizing (to no-entries) per a sync-schedule and/or only when you're on-line via WiFi. (Some sync utilities can be set so that's the only time this traffic happens, to keep from using cell data MBs).

Do some searches for iPad tablet Bing bookmark synchronizing and see if you have this function enabled somewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2020, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Surf city, NC
17,367 posts, read 10,819,107 times
Reputation: 11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Unfortunately, I'm an Android guy so I don't know iPads or even Bing.
However, one possibility that occurred to me is a bookmark synchronizer.
This is a feature within the browser, or an app that works with the browser, that syncs your bookmarks on your PC and tablet and phone. If there was one started on your tablet, and it was set up wrong, it might be sync'ing your tablet's Bing bookmarks to a non-existing twin, thus removing the tablets non-matching entities. The irregularity of your problem suggests that the wiping of your bookmarks may be this synchronizing (to no-entries) per a sync-schedule and/or only when you're on-line via WiFi. (Some sync utilities can be set so that's the only time this traffic happens, to keep from using cell data MBs).

Do some searches for iPad tablet Bing bookmark synchronizing and see if you have this function enabled somewhere.
I don’t have an IPhone so I don’t see it synchronizing with my Android phone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2020, 03:02 PM
 
750 posts, read 1,611,578 times
Reputation: 1799
Possibly your iPad is syncing bookmarks to iCloud, but then dropping them either due to a lost signal or other issue. Rebooting the iPad should resync the device’s bookmarks with those on iCloud.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2020, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Surf city, NC
17,367 posts, read 10,819,107 times
Reputation: 11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Possibly your iPad is syncing bookmarks to iCloud, but then dropping them either due to a lost signal or other issue. Rebooting the iPad should resync the device’s bookmarks with those on iCloud.
When you mean reboot your saying shut it down and restart it? Because I do shut it off when I’m not using it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2020, 06:02 PM
 
750 posts, read 1,611,578 times
Reputation: 1799
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
When you mean reboot your saying shut it down and restart it? Because I do shut it off when I’m not using it.
I mean power off and then back on. Not to be confused with putting iPad to sleep. But first check in settings/iCloud to see if Safari is turned on or off. If off, then bookmark syncing is not the issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2020, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Surf city, NC
17,367 posts, read 10,819,107 times
Reputation: 11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
I mean power off and then back on. Not to be confused with putting iPad to sleep. But first check in settings/iCloud to see if Safari is turned on or off. If off, then bookmark syncing is not the issue.
I give up for the time being I need some one who can see what I might be missing maybe I clicked on something that erases it everyday and I’m not seeing it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2020, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
14,061 posts, read 21,713,883 times
Reputation: 8810
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I give up for the time being I need some one who can see what I might be missing maybe I clicked on something that erases it everyday and I’m not seeing it.
Try this link for help: https://appletoolbox.com/safari-book...on-ipadiphone/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top