U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 02:42 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,384,988 times

Advertisements

I have been using computers for decades. Most recently Windows computers. I decided to get an IPAD when I saw a good sale, thinking that Apple was so intuitive I could easily use it. That hasn't been the case. I don't have a smart phone or any other tablet so it's like starting from zero apparently. I do have a Kindle.

Like all tech these days it came with no instructions. The online help from Apple is not enough for a total beginner. I spent 80 minutes on Chat getting the basic setup, WiFi, PW, etc. but I still don't even know how to get what I want to use to appear on the screen. And in the rare instances when I've done something that produces something like a desktop, there isn't anything I recognize as a web browser. And I'm not sure how to get the "desktop" back again, swipe, tap, where????

Can anyone recommend a book or YouTube video that will really make this thing usable for me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 02:48 PM

14,061 posts, read 21,713,883 times
You can start here.. (Click on table of contents) https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/welcome/ipados

Ask your questions here in this forum too. We’ll try to help out.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You can start here.. (Click on table of contents) https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/welcome/ipados

Ask your questions here in this forum too. We’ll try to help out.

The problem is that the Apple online support site is not adequate for new users. I have to use it on my Windows computer since I can't see any Internet browser on the IPad.

For example, it doesn't help me to tell me to go to the IPad Settings menu if I have no idea how to get the Settings menu to appear on the screen. That's why I want a book or a YouTube video that will start at the very beginning. Then I can refer to it until I learn how to use the thing.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 456,076 times
Here is how to set up your Ipad initially. You may have gone through all this already. It is pretty straight forward and doesn't answer your question about "Settings". I posted this "just in case" you hadn't completed this step. If you have, then skip to the next video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YiHK9J2Kpw

Old 09-01-2020, 11:00 PM

Here are some basic gestures you need to know to navigate the iPad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pv3rEjI4fQ

Old 09-01-2020, 11:24 PM

Here is the ipad Settings icon.

Here the settings icon is shown in the ipad home screen, which I think Apple calls it the "Launch Screen". I can't rememer.

Here is the settings icon on the menu bar that Apple calls the "dock".

Old 09-01-2020, 11:38 PM

Here is a video about 7 settings to turn off on your ipad for privacy.

I am not endorsing the video. I just wanted a video where they go through some settings so you can get used to how to navigate settings. It doesn't show much, but it is a start. I have turned all these off on my ipad, but like I said, example not endorsement.

Beware that they don't show the first step, actually tapping on the settings icon. It sucks when they don't show all their steps. You have to tap on your settins icon to get to where they just magically jump to. After that, you should be abel to follow the video and even duplicate it for practice if you so choose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZHudOOsB1k&t=53s

Old 09-01-2020, 11:43 PM

Finally, here is another random video of somebody going through settings. I picked it because they go through several steps, so I just thought there was enough variety here that you could get some idea of what settings can do and what is available.

After this video, I figure you can do your own youtube searches with Apple Ipad Pro 2020 turotrial or Apple Ipad Pro 2020 settings or Apple Ipad Pro 2020 gestures or Apple Ipad Pro 2020 best apps, on and on, whatever you like.

Good luck. I just love my ipad to death. I still have tons to learn and there are lots and lots of useful, productive, and fun apps for you to find and buy so don't forget to do lots of searches on best apps for Ipad Pro 2020, etc.

I just love this product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmcuUwfC-CE&t=42s

Old 09-02-2020, 06:28 AM

14,061 posts, read 21,713,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
The problem is that the Apple online support site is not adequate for new users. I have to use it on my Windows computer since I can't see any Internet browser on the IPad.

For example, it doesn't help me to tell me to go to the IPad Settings menu if I have no idea how to get the Settings menu to appear on the screen. That's why I want a book or a YouTube video that will start at the very beginning. Then I can refer to it until I learn how to use the thing.
The site I linked has step by step instructions. They work well. I’m not sure how difficult it is to look at the icons on your screen and find the one labeled “settings”. I never experienced any difficulty in finding it on any of the iPads that I have owned (3 of them). The other poster provided pictures, so I hope that helped. I should remind you that I linked to that site for “starters”. I was hoping you might have more specific questions.

The internet browser on your iPad is called, “Safari”. Several of his pictures may also show that icon so refer to the pictures to see what it looks like. I see no problem with loading the Apple site on your Windows computer to glance at while you are setting up the ipad. You don’t need to, but it won’t hurt anything.

Which iPad did you buy? Some have a home button to push to get back to the desktop. The latest version you can swipe up from the botttom of the screen with one finger to get to the desktop, or put all 5 fingertips on the screen and close your hand, causing all your fingers to swipe inward. If you do it right, the desktop will appear. (See video posted earlier). Another way is you to use 4 fingers and swipe up on the screen from anywhere on the screen. (Also see video.).

I think this video was posted above but I couldn’t get it to work. Here it is again: https://youtu.be/4Pv3rEjI4fQ

Last edited by dkf747; 09-02-2020 at 06:50 AM..

Old 09-02-2020, 12:56 PM

Thank you very much for posting all of this. It should help me a lot. I got an Ipad 10.2 not an Ipad Pro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets