Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 10:59 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times

Advertisements

I just took a journey through buying 4 tablets so thought I'd share my thoughts. I have an iPad Air version 1 that had started to slow down unacceptably. Surprisingly I found (after starting this quest) that not using the yahoo email app and using the yahoo web based interface solved my speed issue. But by that time I was deep in the tablet search so continued on.

I first bought an iPad Air 4th generation ($569 from Costco). All the reviews said this was the best and I did love my original iPad Air despite it not being able to load new apps, a problem I thought would be solved with a new version. I kept it exactly one day. There was no way to get my Android phone messages on it. They also shrunk the onscreen keyboard so I could no longer type comfortably and accurately on it. I did like that I could use app widgets like I did on my phone. I also don't find apple's interface intuitive and struggled to get it set up well.

I figured I would be better off in the Android universe so I ordered the Lenovo Tab P11 Pro ($349 from Lenovo but bought through Walmart, also available through the Lenovo ebay store for the same price).

I used it for one day and noticed my eyes were really tired. It had a gorgeous 11.5 inch large screen. But I was curious as to why my eyes were so tired so did some online research. I had this same problem with using my Moto G7 phone in the evening. My version 1 iPad Air caused no such eye problems and was a huge relief when I got it in terms of solving my eye strain.

I found there is something called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) where the screen is flashed on and off rapidly to dim the screen. My Moto G7 phone uses PWM as did the Lenovo Tab P11 Pro. My old iPad Air uses an IPS screen without PWM so I decided to look for the same type of screen.

I then saw the Amazon Fire HD 10 plus on sale for $129. It has 4 GB RAM (vs 3 for the non plus version) and has a wireless charging stand available for an extra $50. This tablet has a limited operating system but all the review say there is a work around to load the Google Play store. It also had an IPS screen with no PWM detected per this web site.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Amazon....549510.0.html

To Amazon Fire HD 10 plus is a great machine for the money. Their built in apps are horrible, driving you to install Google Play to get regular apps. Their ad supported unit (cheaper than getting one without ads) is pretty cool as the ads are for books and I enjoyed seeing them on my wake screen.

I grew frustrated that the blue light eliminator made the screen really difficult to use and I couldn't find a setting where it was acceptable. Text was very readable when not using the blue light filter. The tablet was fast.

I could not find a way to get a messaging app that synched with my Moto phone.

I loved the wireless charging stand. It is supposed to allow the tablet to function as an Echo Show and it did. But the speakers on the tablet aren't as good as the Echo Show and I like to use the Echo Show to listen to music so it wasn't a good Echo Show replacement for me.

At this point in the process my husband saw an ad for the Samsung Galaxy Tab a7 (10.4 inch screen) from Walmart at $139 as an early Black Friday sale. He checked the notebookcheck.net web site for PWM and it said none detected.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsun....506064.0.html

He bought it and used the Samsung app to import everything from his Moto phone (same model as mine). He even got text messaging working from his phone on the Samsung tablet.

I snagged his Samsung Galaxy Tab a7 to try vs the Amazon Fire HD 10 Plus. The Samsung screen was slightly bigger, text was slightly clearer and the blue light filter was usable! I think the Amazon Fire HD 10 Plus might be slightly faster as the Samsung Galaxy Tab a7 only has 3GB of RAM vs 4GB on the Amazon Fire 10 HD Plus. My web based games didn't seem to crash as often on the Amazon Fire as they did on the Samsung Galaxy Tab a7. My husband uses app based games and says the Samsung is plenty fast. I was loath to give up the wireless charger. But in the end I also chose the Samsung Galaxy Tab a7.

In terms tactile feel the iPad Air felt slippery and delicate. The Lenovo Tab P11 Pro was also slippery and delicate, with little or no bezel to hang on to and it was easy to accidentally press the screen when handling. I liked the feeling of the Amazon Fire HD 10 the best. Doesn't feel like you are about to drop it all the time. The Samsung Galaxy Tab a7 is thin and not much tactile feel but there is some bezel to hold on to. However I'll feel better when I get a case for it.

All 4 we're in the 1 lb range which was the upper limit of weight I was willing to consider.

Last edited by mic111; 11-17-2021 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 02:35 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Samsung Tab S7 is the proper competitor here. 6GB of RAM, $349

Good write up though. I like how you were willing to try them all.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Samsung Tab S7 is the proper competitor here. 6GB of RAM, $349

Good write up though. I like how you were willing to try them all.
Undoubtedly the Samsung Tab s7 is a good tablet. Unfortunately the tests show it has PWM so would bother my eyes.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsun....498179.0.html

This video shows an example of the flickering that tires out my eyes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=jbA1u2PYg2A

I posted the review because while I started with the one all the review sites recommended (iPad Air 4th gen) I ended being happiest with one of the least expensive. As I mentioned I already have a first gen iPad Air and am very happy with it so I am very surprised that I like the Samsung Galaxy Tab a7 the best.

My ideal tablet would have ≥4 GB RAM, a larger screen (≥11"), no PWM, Android operating system, wireless charging and weigh in the 1 lb range. I did not find one like this but if someone knows of one please tell me. I would not hesitate to try a fifth tablet. I would probably look at one with out the wireless charging that met all the other items but I really did love the wireless charging. Can't wait until all device have it.

Last edited by mic111; 11-17-2021 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-30-2021, 08:46 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
I have the Tab A7 and I am happy with it. If you are not using your tablet as a daily device or for anything that requires serious processing power such as gaming or photo editing, no need to splurge on a high-end device. I mainly only use it to watch movies while traveling and to use my YouVersion Bible app on Sunday church service. For my everyday use I just use my smartphone.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the input Pink Jazz. I agree with you. Unfortunately I am using it as a daily device and have become frustrated how slow it is for basic browsing, especially when trying to get something researched.

I am delighted that I can get my instant messenges, email, Kindle etc on it. So from a functionality perspective it is just great. I also like the size and weight, as well as the fact I can dim it down at night and not develop eye issues.

I think I need something with more RAM. The Amazon Fire 10 Plus spoiled me with it's 4 GB RAM and zippy performance. I've been thinking of trying a Chromebook 2 in 1. Would like to find one with a detachable keyboard to keep the weight down. I am still interested in a faster tablet but really want no PWM and all the higher end ones I have researched have PWM.

In the mean time we are going to load Linux on my old 2 in 1 Dell laptop. It is 3 lbs and 11.6" screen so a close approximation to the form factor of a Chromebook 2 in 1. Its browsing is faster than the Samsung tab a7. I abandoned using it because it takes ages to wake up. However we put Linux on my 2013 All-in-One desktop (windows upgrades would no longer load and I had the blue screen of death) and swapped out the hard drive for an SSD drive so that now it runs like a fast and new machine. Turns out I really like Linux for my main computer. Easier to use than Apple or Windows and very zippy.

Right now the Samsung tab a7 is my main device and it is just a bit too laggy.

Last edited by mic111; 11-30-2021 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-30-2021, 12:29 PM

BTW, I was originally going to buy a Lenovo M10 FHD Plus, but the dealbreaker for me was its lack of Widevine L1 certification, which would limit many streaming apps to SD resolution. I wasn't much of a fan of the Amazon tablets since I prefer full Android, so I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 which is Widevine L1 certified, plus Samsung offers two years of full OS updates vs. only one for Lenovo.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:45 PM

Lenovo is the only one I'm waiting on for a refund. They received it back 11/11. Everyone else refunded the money right away.

If I try Lenovo again I won't buy it from them, only a place like Costco. In fact they have a chrome book 2 in 1 from Lenovo with 8 GB RAM. So if I like the form factor of my old Dell 2 in 1 with Linux I may try that (if I ever get my refund from them).

Last edited by mic111; 11-30-2021 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-07-2021, 09:31 AM

Turns out Lenovo refunded the amount Oct.13th but Walmart did not credit my account. I finally got action after two rounds of Walmart help chatting and their financial rep hand crediting. The hang up seemed to be that then Walmart web site said to contact the manufacturer for returns so that is what I did. But for their system to work I probably needed to initiate the return through Walmart.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:46 PM

The Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 was just released. From what I read, it is a decent tablet, but many do not recommend the 32GB model.

I'm going to hold off for the A9 and will get the 64GB model in my next upgrade.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:58 PM

The A8 looks expensive. The tab A7 has become my main portable device. I don't notice the lag as much because if I want zippy i go to my main computer. For the money, $139, the tab A7 is working out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets