Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 11:05 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

Do you recommend buying a screen protector for the newest (2021) ipads or ipad mini 6?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 07:22 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
No.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:31 PM

47 posts, read 33,992 times
I like to leave them raw and unprotected. Trust the glass.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:53 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
That's up to you. It's "scratch resistant". But it's certainly not scratch proof.
The question is how much 'abuse' will it be subjected to? If you're getting a case for it, you probably won't need one. But again... it all depends on the owner's habits.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:08 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
I had an Otterbox Defender case (clear plastic covering the screen) on my 12.9" (Apple year 2018, purchased June 2019) iPad Pro for 2 years of heavy use.

One of the corners of the snap on cover/stand (not the part that surrounds the iPad), and part of the rubber insert on the side of the case surrounding the iPad, both were starting to fail.

I purchased a Logitech Slim Folio Pro case, and I prefer the bare glass as well.....the feel and the responsiveness. The closed case = glass covered/protected by the keyboard. The strong factory box is barely bigger than the case, and slips easily into my computer bag with the iPad and case (case installed) and a flattened microfiber cloth inside.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Tempered Glass is the best. Easy to put on, no bubbles and if you drop it, the protector breaks instead of the glass on your tablet. I use these on the tablets here at work. Over 100 tablets and counting.

It's STUPID not to get one. Protect your investment. I've seen it happen more than once.

Supershieldz is the brand to get.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Supers...0-A88FE36AB21A

Old 11-19-2021, 12:01 PM

It's not stupid. How rude. Fact, people drop iPads\tablets FAR less then they do iPhones. By an incredibly large margin. They are much easier to hold because they are much bigger. Most people have some type of a case on them providing grip.
I still have an iPad 2. Released in 2011. Never cracked.
I don't even use them on my phones anymore and I haven't cracked a screen on a phone in over 4 years. I used to quite a bit, but Gorilla Glass has come a long way.

I wouldn't say it's stupid to get one... I'm not rude like that... but it IS a waste of money and they never feel as good as the glass.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's not stupid. How rude. Fact, people drop iPads\tablets FAR less then they do iPhones. By an incredibly large margin. They are much easier to hold because they are much bigger. Most people have some type of a case on them providing grip.
I still have an iPad 2. Released in 2011. Never cracked.
I don't even use them on my phones anymore and I haven't cracked a screen on a phone in over 4 years. I used to quite a bit, but Gorilla Glass has come a long way.

I wouldn't say it's stupid to get one... I'm not rude like that... but it IS a waste of money and they never feel as good as the glass.
Waste of money? That tells me you don't know what you are talking about.

It's 3 to 4 dollars per screen protector. Remind me, how much does the screen cost for an ipad? and labor to replace it?

I've seen plenty of tablets and phones broken by just dropping them. Could of been prevented by using one of these screen protectors. As I mentioned, I've used many of them, over a hundred.

Gorilla glass or no, all glass breaks. It's better to lose $4 than over $100. It's not just about scratches it's about BREAKING it.

You can keep your ipad the way it is, more power to you.

Edit: It turns out Supershieldz does not make a glass protector for the ipad 2. This other brand does and it's more expensive, a whopping $10.
https://www.amazon.com/JETech-Screen.../dp/B00W5UA4W2

The OP's ipad, $9 for two.
https://www.amazon.com/Supershieldz-.../dp/B07XLGT1KT

Last edited by gguerra; 11-19-2021 at 01:21 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Waste of money? That tells me you don't know what you are talking about.
You know me better then that. That tells me your trying to trigger me.
Because you DO know me.

Quote:
It's 3 to 4 dollars per screen protector. Remind me, how much does the screen cost for an ipad? and labor to replace it?
Remind me how many iPads I've broken? How many iPads people I know have broken?
$4 you don't need to spend is a waste of $4.

Quote:
I've seen plenty of tablets and phones broken by just dropping them. Could of been prevented by using one of these screen protectors. As I mentioned, I've used many of them, over a hundred.
Yea, and we used to waste money on screen protectors too. I support the phones in my office. The tablets. The laptops. Even my clumsiest users aren't breaking screens these days.

Quote:
Gorilla glass or no, all glass breaks. It's better to lose $4 than over $100. It's not just about scratches it's about BREAKING it.
Yea, I know what it's about. I didn't even mention scratches. Stop being obtuse.
Gorilla Glass is not bullet proof. I certainly didn't say it was. But it's absolutely amazing these days and very capable. I get it though. you wouldn't know that these days because you always use screen protectors.

Quote:
You can keep your ipad the way it is, more power to you.
Thanks?!?

Quote:
Edit: It turns out Supershieldz does not make a glass protector for the ipad 2. This other brand does and it's more expensive, a whopping $10.
Thanks, I think I can find my own. But it's over 10 years old now... I don't even care if it breaks now.

Everyone isn't clumsy. I know people that have NEVER broken a phone. Sounds crazy, I know. But it's true.
I used to put screen protectors on my phone. Oh, and then this one gets a little chip, gotta replace it... oh, that one gets a little crack from something that would not have scratched the screen. Gotta' buy some more! They are a pain in the ass all around and plenty of people get by without them without cracking screens.

Are you clumsy, OP? Do you have a habit of dropping tablets? Have you dropped many? Get a protector.
Otherwise? Save your money!

Old 11-19-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Remind me how many iPads I've broken?
Not just ipads and not just about you.

Your limited experience does not dictate everybody else's needs.

As to my experience, I don't use a phone without one of these protectors. It's glass and it's to, I repeat, keep from breaking the phone's screen.

I bought my wife a phone last summer. I mistakenly assumed it came with a protector. She dropped it, like she does a lot and it broke. I said, no problem, it has a protector. I was wrong. I had to buy another.

I just got a new phone myself. I ordered the protectors and nice case along with the phone. It's part of the deal. I don't care how careful you are, it will happen.

As I have mentioned, we use these things on our production tablets here at work. I work at a steel fabrication company. The shop welders and fitters use them to view fabrication drawings. Many tons of steel are moving around on cranes, men welding and grinding, sparks fly everywhere. I have seen many tablets with broken screens, accidents are inevitable. Unless a 500 lb beam falls on a tablet, most accidents damage just the protectors, not the screens on the tablets. You remove the protector, apply a new one and you are back in business. Many times the thing keeps working even with the broken protector. These things have saved us thousands of dollars.

That's all I need to say about it. The things serve their purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets