Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 AM

96 posts, read 357,850 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I thought I'd make a thread on moving here to some up a few things that a lot of people get wrong.

Is Tallahassee a college town?
- NO. Everyone calls Tallahassee a college TOWN. Tallahassee is no where near a town, Tallahassee is a very sizeable city. Yes there is 2 main universities and a large community college but Tallahassee is not a College Town.

Does it snow or get cold in Tallahassee?
- Most people say no because of Tallahassee being in Florida. Actually, it may not snow much, but when most people are sleeping during January and February months, Tallahassee has snow flakes and some snow early in the morning. And temperatures can get so low it will make you cry here during winter.

How is the heat and humidity
- During the summer, heat isn't the big problem, it's just the humidity after showers etc. Be sure to have a working A/C!

Malls, Shopping?
- Tallahassee has 2 indoor public shopping malls including the Tallahassee mall (around 100 stores) and the Governors Square Mall (around 200 stores). (A proposed shopping mall The pinnacle at cross creak ranging with around 200 stores.) Both with food courts and all your typical mall stores, though Gov. Sq. Mall is bigger and brings more population. Also community/town centers and outdoor malls are here.

People/Life Styles
- Life styles in Tallahassee include every single one. Tallahassee has a nice sized Gay population and every other orientation. People think of Tallahassee as either a "Hillbilly" place or "Ghetto" place. In reality, many smart educated people live in Tallahassee, I don't think hillbillies would be running the state government here.

Beaches???
- Yes, very close WHITE SAND beaches! Including:
St George Island ***
Panama City, Alligator Point, Shell Point etc.

Downtown Area
- Tallahassee is not like Gainesville or Ocala by ANY MEANS. Tallahassee has a big downtown city scape, with high rises on every block. The state capitol is 24 stories it self (Including hidden floors). Downtown Tallahassee contains very historic and fun things to do, including museums like the Florida History Museum, which you can see dinosaur bones etc.
MORE INFORMATION: Tallahassee Downtown

Other Parts
- Everything in Leon County is mostly urban, not everything is downtown. Stores and outlets are outside in the county. So get moving!

Facts:
-Tallahassee has over 250,000 residents.
-First US Christmas was celebrated here
-Tallahassee is home to the largest magnet, stronger than the earths force field.
-Tallahassee is home to the 3rd oldest police dept, in the United States.

More Information:http://www.urbantallahassee.com / http://www.tallaclassy.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,864 times
I wouldn't say that everything in Leon County is mostly urban -- there are large areas of Leon County that are suburban or rural.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:08 AM

7 posts, read 36,447 times
Default Thank you!

Tallypain-thank you for your info. You really helped me as I'm looking at a few cities to move to.

Tallahassee sounds really nice and perfect for me.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 AM

96 posts, read 357,850 times
I'm glad I helped! Very glad this came useful for someone!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:21 AM

250 posts, read 706,218 times
i appreciate your prospectives to try to defend tallahassee against what i'm guessing you would call misconceptions. however, i think those are just opinions. you seem to take exception to tallahassee being called a college TOWN. when by definition college town is exactly what many people would view it. tallahassee is not very big or populated by many peoples opinions and would not be classified as a city. if you are used to something else like say atlanta or orlando. in 2008 the census listed it's population as ~175,000 while the overall area might be ~360,000. considering that more than 1/4th the population of the actual town/city is going to school then calling it a college town would not be inaccurate.
also, your description of downtown and picture would probably be deceiving to someone coming from larger city or even a similar sized city up north. most people would find nothing to do in downtown tallahassee, unless you are going to court or a government meeting. to say it has high rises on every block might be accurate if you also include that it's only like 1 or 4 square blocks deep. i mean really you can drive through downtown tallahasee in 30 secs (literally). i would agree with JAS that it is mostly suburban with rural areas on the outskirts. what i would disagree with most is that it is close to the beaches. when you say things like that you are invoking people who do not know any better to think that it is a simple drive from where ever they live in the city to get to the beach. you are talking about a couple of hours drive to a entirely different city and area of the state. someone in miami, jacksonville, daytona, clearwater is close to the beach. tallahassee is not. i guess this is a matter of perspective though. if you are coming from say Colorado, then yes it may seem close to the beach. if you are coming from a place with a beach then it's no where near it.

Personally, i like tallahasee more than most cities in this state. everything is convenient. it has a large young population. it is one of the few consistently blue counties in the state which is a representation of it's fairly progressive thinking population (with great exceptions). i just think there is alot to say about it that can be more accurate without taking exception to whether it's referred to as a town or hyping up a beach that isn't anywhere around the city, nor hyping a meager urban life.

Last edited by luvingme23; 07-16-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,172 times
luving me, Your WRONG. Tallahassee's Population figures DO NOT INCLUDE COLLEGE STUDENTS.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:33 AM

57 posts, read 848,026 times
TD is right.....

The population is 175k....plus close to 70k college students. While I agree that universities and state government play a large part in town, there is lots of things people don't know about Tallahassee. When most students attend college here, they live in a small couple of square miles, and don't venture out into other parts of town. I live on the southeast part of town, and never have to drive near campus.

You will find a large amount of people who went to school here, went away, and moved back because they realized what a great place it is, and to raise a family. While I agree that the beach shouldn't be a selling point, it is less than an hour away. Not many places in the US can reach the beach in an hour or less.

And yes, Tallahassee is a CITY! At last check, it was the tenth largest city in the state of Florida, and ranked somewhere around 119th in the US.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 AM

108 posts, read 353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post

While I agree that the beach shouldn't be a selling point, it is less than an hour away. Not many places in the US can reach the beach in an hour or less.
I'm new here and had to drive two hours to a beach a few months ago.

What beach is an hour away?

Old 07-18-2010, 02:45 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvingme23 View Post
i appreciate your prospectives to try to defend tallahassee against what i'm guessing you would call misconceptions. however, i think those are just opinions. you seem to take exception to tallahassee being called a college TOWN. when by definition college town is exactly what many people would view it. tallahassee is not very big or populated by many peoples opinions and would not be classified as a city. if you are used to something else like say atlanta or orlando. in 2008 the census listed it's population as ~175,000 while the overall area might be ~360,000. considering that more than 1/4th the population of the actual town/city is going to school then calling it a college town would not be inaccurate.
also, your description of downtown and picture would probably be deceiving to someone coming from larger city or even a similar sized city up north. most people would find nothing to do in downtown tallahassee, unless you are going to court or a government meeting. to say it has high rises on every block might be accurate if you also include that it's only like 1 or 4 square blocks deep. i mean really you can drive through downtown tallahasee in 30 secs (literally). i would agree with JAS that it is mostly suburban with rural areas on the outskirts. what i would disagree with most is that it is close to the beaches. when you say things like that you are invoking people who do not know any better to think that it is a simple drive from where ever they live in the city to get to the beach. you are talking about a couple of hours drive to a entirely different city and area of the state. someone in miami, jacksonville, daytona, clearwater is close to the beach. tallahassee is not. i guess this is a matter of perspective though. if you are coming from say Colorado, then yes it may seem close to the beach. if you are coming from a place with a beach then it's no where near it.

Personally, i like tallahasee more than most cities in this state. everything is convenient. it has a large young population. it is one of the few consistently blue counties in the state which is a representation of it's fairly progressive thinking population (with great exceptions). i just think there is alot to say about it that can be more accurate without taking exception to whether it's referred to as a town or hyping up a beach that isn't anywhere around the city, nor hyping a meager urban life.
I agree with most of this. Also curious as to what beach is an hour away: afaik St George Island is the closest, and that's at least 1 1/2 hours.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 23,729 times
Great post, glad you mentioned St. George Island (beautiful place). What would you think of commuting from there to Tallahassee daily? I seem to recall it being a hour and 20 minute drive, but Google maps shows it being a lot longer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee