U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 AM

27 posts, read 75,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergal View Post
I don't plan on moving to your country illegally, I'm going to do it the honest way and not live life looking over my shoulder.

I'm just a person trying to start my life with my future spouse, and the only way to do that right now would be to move to florida. Legally of course.
I wish you the best of luck! Please ignore the ignorants. He didn't even bother to find anything out about you before spouting off.

For a smaller town we have quite a lot to do and we're just miles from the oil spill-err.. gulf.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 AM

16 posts, read 41,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalith View Post
I wish you the best of luck! Please ignore the ignorants. He didn't even bother to find anything out about you before spouting off.

For a smaller town we have quite a lot to do and we're just miles from the oil spill-err.. gulf.
Thanks Imalith

You've been really kind and helpful, and NOT judgemental!

I'm feeling optimistic, and after doing some research I think I'll really like living in Tallahassee.

Thanks agan!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM

27 posts, read 75,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheidhaeuser View Post
I am again, NOT beholden to aiding and abetting any foreigners personal agenda, life plan or

future relationship or 'marriage'.

My total commitment is FIRST to the great citizens of these United States Of America, and my job is NOT to facilitate your life's choices in re who you're dating, and not married to even..

If anything I would dissuade your immigration to the United States, just like Canada tends to dissuade immigrants from the US..so does Australis...and in many countries you have to prove that you already are a needed 'commodity' with a 'skill' !

Canada is a fine country, so is Mexico in some areas.

I am MORE concerned about American citizens being employed FIRST, and any decent US citizen should agree with that basic notion.

I have absolutely no problem with suggesting that potential immigrants to the USA with no real job, STAY in their own country during these economic times..

It's far more IMPORTANT for US citizens to get jobs in Tallahassee, than a Canadian or Mexican who wants to hang out and displace a potential American worker..

Under these conditions, it's not inappropriate, anti-Canadian, anti-Mexican to simply
say STAY HOME in your own country...and btw, I have the right to be as 'judgmental' as I wish in expressing my concern about out own nation's security interests....whether economic, military, or socio-cultural....I have EARNED that right and have put my life on the line.

America First my friend

Semper Fi, ..........it's not negotiable, it is not relative, but absolute !
"Semper Fi" indeed. I am the daughter of a Lieutenant Colonel and married to a Marine. My entire family has served in one branch of the military or the other and I do not share the same sentiments with you. Infact, many people who serve in our armed forces are from another country seeking citizenship. I was in a class with a man from Africa that joined the armed forces seeking citizenship. He was willing to fight and die in order to protect American citizens and ultimately become one.

The US culture is a mix of every other culture out there. To cut off any specific culture simply because a few people can't get jobs (you can if you try - I had one within a week of quitting my last job) is detrimental to our cultural progress. Have you not had a history class? We were built on immigrants. What is your background? Your roots; not simply "American". Anyone born in the US is an American, but your features, such as hair color and eye color, and even the sicknesses you are susceptible to hail from another country.

I am proud to be an American, but I am also proud to be a citizen in such a culturally diverse country that welcomes people of other nationalities. I wish everyone would stop blaming immigrants for not having a job. Step back and look at your resume, look at how you are dressed, listen to how you speak, check to see if you are qualified for what you are applying for, check to see if you are over-qualified, and make sure you apply to many instead of simply relying on one.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 7,799 times
I've come to rely on this forum as a source of quasi-valuable information towards cities like Tallahassee and I assume the original poster did as well. To blatantly attack her simply because she's from a different country and having you illogically state that she's somehow cheating the system or stealing "your" job, is ignorant and faulty at best. Please don't make hasty generalizations and categorized the original poster as something she is not. It saddens me that you lack the insight or general perception between the two.

I can see your faulty logic in thinking that "immigrants are stealing 'your' job" and "letting one in, creates a snowball effect" however, to bash someone who is simply asking for information is absolutely appalling and ridiculous. Your assumptions about this particular person are naively skewed. I assume you're just bitter, perhaps because you're unemployed and under qualified for a variety of jobs (see how that works? I know nothing about you, but by "judging" your responses, I can also make a ludicrous assumption that in no way is true).

It disgusts me that you constantly use a false pretense of "patriotism" as your protective badge and ace in the hole. You couldn't be more wrong. Stop with the Semper Fi. As a former SMCR, you're embarrassing me.

All throughout my life, I've heard stories about the South, where a false sense of ignorant nationalism reigns supreme, coupled with a stubbornness against change. You surprisingly fit the mold of these stories and yet, when I move to Tallahassee in January (potentially stealing "your" job as well, don't worry though, I was born in this good ole U.S. of A.), I won't hold Tallahassee, Florida or the rest of the South to this faulty logic. And neither should you. Just because you feel that you have "proof" that "your" jobs are being swept underneath your feet, based on what I assume to be misconstrued propaganda, don't hold the original poster accountable for the same stereotype. And bottom line, you're right, I don't have any idea on the current situation in Tallahasse, but spending the last 8 years in South Texas has given me an understanding of what you "feel."

You talk about what's wrong with America, but have you taken a deep look in the mirror?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee