U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM

240 posts, read 581,833 times

Advertisements

I've found myself gettin' itchy feet lately... Ready to move on to new and undiscovered territory. (well, undiscovered by me)

And I'd like to do it within a year's time.

However, funds are tight (too tight to build up any savings) and jobs are scarce (I don't have any fantastic skills that would net me high earnings).

So I decided to send out a post and see if there's any one out there in the same boat. The boat being: would like to move but don't see the funds.

I'm learning to make canvases for painting and I've started doing a little with acrylics but I have a lot to learn yet. In time, that might be an avenue to bring in some $$, don't know.

Two heads are better than 1, and maybe with a little brainstorming and a combination of our forces, we can think of creative ways to earn some side cash to save for the move.

I haven't done a lot of research on where I'd like to go, but the urge to stand on a little cliff and feel the wind in my face prompted a google search, resulting in pictures of the Ozarks. And more investigation uncovered the fact that there's a decent art community that lives in that area.

I definitely want to do a mountain of research on different areas, looking at everything from temperature to population to humidity to cost of living.

Most of all, I want to end up living in the booneys, but not more than a half hour from town.

I guess I'm getting the urge because my son's now on his own and I don't have anything holding me here. After extensive researching of different areas, and picking a couple, I'd like to take a longish road trip and check them out in person, camping along the way.

I've lived in IL, MS, Colorado, and visited a few other places. I've been in Florida for a little over 20 years and I've never quite bonded with it, but my son didn't want to leave. But now that he's settled, I've got spring fever.

I know how tough it can be for people to match up as a team and be compatible, but logic says there's no reason there's not someone else out there feeling the same way I am, and would have a blast, seeing a move as an adventure.

Anyone else ready for a move?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 AM

108 posts, read 335,522 times
There is a bit of an artsy community just north of Tally in Havana.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
Wow! That's exactly where I am now...kids gone...no ties...ready to go. Wish I saw this post back then but still ready to GO!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 AM

240 posts, read 581,833 times
lol! Dang, I don't even remember starting this thread.

I just moved to Tifton Ga (about 2.5 hours from Tallahassee) and I'm staying with my sister, trying to save up some cash to buy a piece of land somewhere. I'd like to get something that butts right up next to one of the national forests in higher elevation. Maybe north GA, or north AL.

Last year I was in Arkansas living off grid. The area had some small mountains but I didn't get a chance to go hiking. But still, the area had rolling hills, crystal rocks, streams everywhere... It was gorgeous. I had a 32 ft camper, and my only electricity was from 80 watts of solar panels so I had no TV, microwave, blow dryer, etc. I had a 200 amp battery that kept my phone and laptop charged. I got erratic internet using my phone's hotspot, and my cooking was done on a propane stove. My water came from a well where there was a 12v pump powered through another solar panel (with battery and charge controller.)

It was extremely rustic and primitive. I grew some tomatoes but not much else because I wasn't set up with a way to store food.

I moved from there because I hadn't been able to get my camper winterized for the next winter. The first winter I spent there was just too cold. I had water freezing in my front room and I used a small propane heater to heat the bedroom, but it didn't do a very good job. I was cold all the time. And propane is expensive when you're trying to heat a leaky old camper. I had the heat off at night, and slept under 3 blankets, in 2 layers of clothes, with a dog on each side of me under the blankets. It was warm enough, until I had to get up in the morning and it was 30 degrees in the camper.

So... I said all that just to say that I learned from the experience and I want to do it again but this time better equipped with ways to stay warm. Either wood burning heat in a cabin, or a building that's built into the ground (even in the winter, a building in the ground will stay above 50 degrees... easier to heat). There's a lot of ways to live off grid and still be comfortable. It just takes a little work.

I'm living back in a small town now, and it takes every thing in me to handle it. I belong in the woods around nature. I hate the rat race and the materialistic/consumer lifestyle. I've seen land in AL... 8 acres for $14,000... less than $2000 an acre.

I've talked to a few people and building codes aren't really strictly adhered to in a lot of places like Alabama that are in the seat of poverty. It would take a little work... would be better if the land is raw but has a spring on it. Water is the most important thing, then soil quality next (soil not contaminated by pesticides). I'm thinking ideally I'd like land near a forest because it's more remote. There'd just be a little to do as far as making clearings...

When I say "live in the woods", people mistake that for living in the country out on a farm. They aren't the same thing.

If I can get a couple people to hook up with me, we can buy land in a year's time.

My original post was me feeling like I needed a sense of freedom, and I wanted to explore other places to live. And now, after some experience living off grid, I felt a different kind of freedom, and it's a right lifestyle for me. If you think you might be interested in rustic living, lets talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee