Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makingfloridahome View Post
Thank you all for your help... Now I am kind of scared to take hwy 19... My husband is black, and I dont want any trouble...
You'll be fine. There have been a few incidents (one regarding a black family staying at the Gandy Motor Lodge and another one regarding a segregated dining room in a restaurant) in Perry in the recent past, but that's about it. If you feel uncomfortable stopping there, just make sure you're completely gassed up before you leave Tallahassee, and then there would be no reason to stop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
You'll be fine. There have been a few incidents (one regarding a black family staying at the Gandy Motor Lodge and another one regarding a segregated dining room in a restaurant) in Perry in the recent past, but that's about it. If you feel uncomfortable stopping there, just make sure you're completely gassed up before you leave Tallahassee, and then there would be no reason to stop there.
Perry has some issues, but the rest of the drive shouldn't be a problem.

Unless you were planning on stopping in the first 45 minutes of the drive, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:08 AM

108 posts, read 353,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianotampa View Post
Always white people, right. I doubt the story is true.
Probbly written by a white person who never notices racism.

One of my friends is a darker skinned latino, the other is light skinned. They both felt very threatened at their gas stop and asked for a safer way back as they no longer trusted their gps.

Don't believe it, as long as you speak perfect english, have light skin and have never seen the "I hate your guts you scum" look.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 PM

58 posts, read 100,644 times
Actions speak louder than words. You are more likely to be murdered or robbed by a black person. Oops shouldnt have said that, now I'm racist, even though FBI statistics back me up. My PUERTO RICAN wife who lived in the Bronx has be a victim of racism by blacks more than any other race. That being said she says stay away from this area or that area because of the crime without mentioning race. Oh BTW I know this is not the Miami or LA forum, but Hispanics are being beating up or killed (NY) by a black people. Historic black neighborhoods are being transformed by Hispanics, LA, Miami, and NYC for example, that's where the word racism is. The tides have turned now in America.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:07 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianotampa View Post
Actions speak louder than words. You are more likely to be murdered or robbed by a black person. Oops shouldnt have said that, now I'm racist, even though FBI statistics back me up. My PUERTO RICAN wife who lived in the Bronx has be a victim of racism by blacks more than any other race. That being said she says stay away from this area or that area because of the crime without mentioning race. Oh BTW I know this is not the Miami or LA forum, but Hispanics are being beating up or killed (NY) by a black people. Historic black neighborhoods are being transformed by Hispanics, LA, Miami, and NYC for example, that's where the word racism is. The tides have turned now in America.
Nice rant. 4/10.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Nice rant. 4/10.
I'd score yours lower.

My wife is Mexican, I've driven that route many dozens of times, and never, ever have we had any kind of problem whatsoever.

But then again, we don't go looking for them either.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:54 AM

28 posts, read 51,082 times
Default 19/98 is better choice

19/98 is about 25 miles shorter than the I10-75 combination. What with
less traffic and wide open roads, it makes for a far more comfortable relaxing drive.

I-75 is a speedway and often comes to a grinding halt near Gainesville.
Perry aside, the other towns like Chiefland, Cross City are fine for stops.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 AM

130 posts, read 265,377 times
19 is the best way to go however, my sister is married to a black man and they had some major problems in Cross City which is located in Dixie County. The restaurant they stopped at in Cross City actually refused to serve them because they are a mixed couple and this was not many years ago this was about 3 months ago (september 2010). I don't know how this area is so much different from Tampa but it is. Be very observant!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:11 AM

58 posts, read 100,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt757100 View Post
19 is the best way to go however, my sister is married to a black man and they had some major problems in Cross City which is located in Dixie County. The restaurant they stopped at in Cross City actually refused to serve them because they are a mixed couple and this was not many years ago this was about 3 months ago (september 2010). I don't know how this area is so much different from Tampa but it is. Be very observant!
Name the restaurant, and did they they complain to the state attorney? If not its a lie until proof is presented.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt757100 View Post
Well that's...Dixie County. Half their county leadership is either in Federal prison or headed there. Trust me, I know. I had to spend a few days in Federal court because of those idiots.

They don't deserve anyone's business, I don't stop there...or in Perry.

But it is unfair to use these places to make generalizations about everyone that lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee