U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 PM

17 posts, read 41,975 times

Advertisements

Strel-I suggest you look the definition of libel. Regarding Tallahassee, in my opinion, it is an armpit about to implode. Your State's Attorney is being ridiculed by other cities newpapers. The FBI is investigating local government official corruption. The Attorney Generals office just slammed your police department over the infamous Rachel Hoffman debacle. Your mayor just admitted to illegally accepting tens of thousands of dollars for awarding no-bid contracts with companies he took kickbacks from with the assistance of your city commission. Last week a gang of thugs went into the mall, the one that is still open, with loaded guns and robbed people on Sunday afternoon in broad daylight. There have been countless armed bank robberies in the past year and several home invasions with multiple deaths, including the murder of multiple children, involved. The local universities have announced they're going to lay off hundreds of employees and the state is going to lay off thousands, which will send crime skyrocketing even more. Have you ever tried to get a flight in and out of here? Darn near impossible at a decent rate. Regarding your data about the college graduates in the state of Florida, so what? You're talking about Florida. Your university advertises itself as one of the top ten party schools in the nation. I bet that looks good on a resume.' Wow, Tallahassee is a great place to raise a family lol.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM

17 posts, read 41,975 times
Default Famu

And just after writing my response to your personal attack the local news announced to avoid the FAMU campus since there are multiple shootings right now. And I thought Sunday afternoon was a day of rest. Silly me. Maybe you should stay here in this hellhole. Everyone I know with any intelligence is leaving as soon as they can. Don't believe me? Ask any local recruiter.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,865,575 times
Like any other city, stay out of the bad sides of town and you won't have any problems. I lived in TLH the first 23 yrs of my life and was never robbed, mugged, beaten, accosted, double-homicided, etc. I visit every few months and have managed to somehow stay alive. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong crowd if you fear for your safety.

If you think that TLH has more trash than other places in FL, then you haven't been to many other places in FL.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM

108 posts, read 331,339 times
This is one of the safest places I've ever been.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 9,329,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedoc View Post
Strel-I suggest you look the definition of libel. Regarding Tallahassee, in my opinion, it is an armpit about to implode.

Armpit? This choice of words says a lot more about your apparent bias than anything else. The place in which I live is no kind of "armpit."

It's clean, green and rather pretty.

Quote:
Your State's Attorney is being ridiculed by other cities newpapers.
Good lord, not ridicule! Not THAT!

Quote:
The FBI is investigating local government official corruption. The Attorney Generals office just slammed your police department over the infamous Rachel Hoffman debacle.
Link on FBI? Make it good. I know the local FBI guys personally.
As for Hoffman, I totally agree with the AG. That case does not, however, affect the quality of life most people enjoy in Tallahassee or affect its desirability as a place to live for the vast majority of people who come here for reasons other than peddling drugs to college students.

Quote:
Your mayor just admitted to illegally accepting tens of thousands of dollars for awarding no-bid contracts with companies he took kickbacks from with the assistance of your city commission.
Link?

Quote:
Last week a gang of thugs went into the mall, the one that is still open, with loaded guns and robbed people on Sunday afternoon in broad daylight.
Shockingly, crimes do occur even in Tallahassee. Overall this place is still safer than most of the rest of Florida.

Again, you seem to want to cherry-pick examples to make the whole place look bad. I can only speculate on your motivation.

Quote:
There have been countless armed bank robberies in the past year and several home invasions with multiple deaths, including the murder of multiple children, involved.
"countless" - you can't count them?
"several" - how many, exactly? To my knowledge there was one incident of that home invasion on the south side where kids were killed, and it was regarded as being so heinous because such things are so relatively rare here.

Quote:
The local universities have announced they're going to lay off hundreds of employees and the state is going to lay off thousands, which will send crime skyrocketing even more. Have you ever tried to get a flight in and out of here?
Many hundreds of times. In spite of this, I prefer to live here because the advantages - which you ignore entirely - far outweigh the disadvantages.

Quote:
Darn near impossible at a decent rate. Regarding your data about the college graduates in the state of Florida, so what? You're talking about Florida. Your university advertises itself as one of the top ten party schools in the nation. I bet that looks good on a resume.' Wow, Tallahassee is a great place to raise a family lol.
It is, but something tells me you'd never know.

I can only assume as I did before, you were an out of town carpetbagger that wore out your welcome with the locals.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalleyster View Post
This is one of the safest places I've ever been.
Evidently not, according to airbornedoc we are being gunned down daily in the streets and our homes.

Never mind that most people who have lived here for any significant amount of time know that the safe parts of Tallahassee are very safe indeed.

Especially compared to anywhere in South Florida, where I expect that poster is probably from and didn't make much of an effort to fit into the local culture.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedoc View Post
On the news this morning, the third double homicide in less than two weeks. Yep, really makes you want to move your family here to Hee Haw Hell doesn't it? Trust me, anyone who is thinking about moving here, run in the opposite direction as fast as you can. Nothing here but white/black trash rednecks with a rapidly escalating violent crime problem underscored by a huge government good ole' boy corruption problem.
I bolded the very telling part of your post.

Beautify Florida: buy a Yankee a bus ticket.

So you FAILED in business, and you want to blame and malign an entire city and its people.

You must have really screwed up good to need to make such excuses to yourself and others.

Last edited by Strel; 04-05-2011 at 03:23 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM

9 posts, read 34,323 times
Quote:
Link on FBI? Make it good. I know the local FBI guys personally.
Apparently not as well as you thought.

Quote:
That case does not, however, affect the quality of life most people enjoy in Tallahassee or affect its desirability as a place to live for the vast majority of people who come here for reasons other than peddling drugs to college students.
So you've never interacted with the police, whatsoever, in your 20+ years here? The police in Tallahassee being corrupt (which they are) should definitely have some factor in any decision to move to a city.

Quote:
Your mayor just admitted to illegally accepting tens of thousands of dollars for awarding no-bid contracts with companies he took kickbacks from with the assistance of your city commission.
Quote:
Link?
Ta-da! (http://www.wctv.tv/floridanews/headlines/Corruption_in__118832254.html?storySection=comment s - broken link)

Quote:
Shockingly, crimes do occur even in Tallahassee. Overall this place is still safer than most of the rest of Florida.
That explains this, then:

Tallahassee comes in at 86 on the Congressional Quarterly's Most Dangerous Cities List, out of a list of 385 cities.

You should watch the news more, or something.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyfla View Post

Actually I am on a first name basis with nearly all of the agents here, but that doesn't mean they discuss every case with me, or can.

Quote:
So you've never interacted with the police, whatsoever, in your 20+ years here? The police in Tallahassee being corrupt (which they are) should definitely have some factor in any decision to move to a city.

Is that a rhetorical question? Because you seem to already know the answer. BTW, your answer is wrong.

TPD has it's issues, but they are not of the nature that any law-abiding person would care about or consider in moving here.
That explains this, then:

Sure, on the south side. The parts of the city desirable for living have a very low crime rate.

DC might have an astronomical crime rate, but does that mean there aren't nice places to live anywhere in DC?

What is your problem with Tallahassee anyway?

Quote:
You should watch the news more, or something.
You should find a more productive hobby.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,865,575 times
I looked at the #86 ranking link (actually, TLH is up to #73 in 2009). Just a few cities ranked as less dangerous than TLH according to the ranking: Boston, Tampa, San Francisco, Durham NC ... and here's another one (get ready for this) ... Los Angeles. Yes, the one in California, which comes in at #154. And Hialeah is at #186?

TLH has its share of crime in some parts of town, and probably also a lot of petty thefts around or near campus that boost the crime rankings. If anyone is scared off of TLH because of crime, I don't know what else to say except, "I hear Provo, Utah may have what you're looking for."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee