U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2011, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 7,564,294 times
Reputation: 1551

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
I looked at the #86 ranking link (actually, TLH is up to #73 in 2009). Just a few cities ranked as less dangerous than TLH according to the ranking: Boston, Tampa, San Francisco, Durham NC ... and here's another one (get ready for this) ... Los Angeles. Yes, the one in California, which comes in at #154. And Hialeah is at #186?
I'm not trying to take sides, but to be fair, Tampa's crime dropped something like 60% over the past ten years.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 AM
 
9 posts, read 34,326 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Actually I am on a first name basis with nearly all of the agents here, but that doesn't mean they discuss every case with me, or can.
And yet they told the local news station before they told you.





Quote:
TPD has it's issues, but they are not of the nature that any law-abiding person would care about or consider in moving here.
I don't know about that. A guy I know had his car vandalized (they broke every window) and the police didn't even come out. Seems a bit odd to me.

Quote:
Sure, on the south side. The parts of the city desirable for living have a very low crime rate.
Numbers don't really lie. We're talking about Tallahassee in general; we're not cherry-picking based on neighborhoods.

Quote:
What is your problem with Tallahassee anyway?
It's hot as hell, there's no culture to speak of and you have to drive at least an hour to find something worthwhile to do.



Quote:
You should find a more productive hobby.
So since we're not all talking about how fabulous Tallahassee is, we should "find a more productive hobby"? I'm sorry, didn't you ask for links?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-15-2011, 02:22 AM
 
9 posts, read 34,326 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
I looked at the #86 ranking link (actually, TLH is up to #73 in 2009). Just a few cities ranked as less dangerous than TLH according to the ranking: Boston, Tampa, San Francisco, Durham NC ... and here's another one (get ready for this) ... Los Angeles. Yes, the one in California, which comes in at #154. And Hialeah is at #186?
I believe it's on a per capita basis. Not really sure, but that would explain it. Obviously cities like Los Angeles and Tampa would have more overall crime reports.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 AM
 
7,887 posts, read 9,331,061 times
Reputation: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyfla View Post
And yet they told the local news station before they told you.

Let's just say there is more to this story than you know. You also wrongly assume I didn't already know about it, but hey, whatever makes you feel smarter.


Quote:
I don't know about that. A guy I know had his car vandalized (they broke every window) and the police didn't even come out. Seems a bit odd to me.
Nice meaningless anecdote.

Quote:
Numbers don't really lie. We're talking about Tallahassee in general; we're not cherry-picking based on neighborhoods.
Numbers do lie, all the time. I'd never tell anyone to live off Orange Avenue. No one ever denied Tallahassee has a seedy side to it.

But if you don't live there, the crime rate numbers are essentially meaningless.

Quote:
It's hot as hell, there's no culture to speak of and you have to drive at least an hour to find something worthwhile to do.
I've lived here 24 years and never had a problem finding culture or anything worthwhile to do. If you don't like this place, don't live here. We can do without you.

Part of the reason Tallahassee is such a nice place to live and raise a family is precisely because it DOESN'T attract certain kinds of people...like you.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-15-2011, 06:59 PM
 
9 posts, read 34,326 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Let's just say there is more to this story than you know. You also wrongly assume I didn't already know about it, but hey, whatever makes you feel smarter.
Well you needed proof when the original poster mentioned the FBI investigation...so either you fake ignorance, or you're just really good at it naturally.

Quote:
Nice meaningless anecdote.
This entire forum is full of "meaningless anecdotes", including yours. That is why people come in here asking for opinions.

Quote:
I've lived here 24 years and never had a problem finding culture or anything worthwhile to do. If you don't like this place, don't live here. We can do without you.

Part of the reason Tallahassee is such a nice place to live and raise a family is precisely because it DOESN'T attract certain kinds of people...like you.
Oh, I would love to get out of here, believe me. Unfortunately, there's this thing called the "economy" and it sort of makes it difficult to leave.

I completely agree with you. To people who enjoy raising children and whose idea of "culture" is Fun Station, putt-putt golf and mudding, Tallahassee is a nice place to live. But the person who posted asking for advice is a 19 year old in college who I can only assume isn't looking for those things, so your advice was completely irrelevant. We can't all be relics.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 AM
 
7,887 posts, read 9,331,061 times
Reputation: 3214
Because Tallahassee is a terrible place for a 19 year old in college?

ROTFLMAO

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-18-2011, 11:42 AM
TD*
 
1,604 posts, read 3,453,478 times
Reputation: 643
Your a
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
 
7,887 posts, read 9,331,061 times
Reputation: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalleyster View Post
It must interest you becasuse you keep responding, over and over and over...ad infinitum...

We get it, you hate Tally, so what?
Like I said, no one develops his level of animus against a place without contributing to the situation somehow.
It's not hard to see why he didn't fit in this kind if environment:

Travel: Classy Tallahassee
John Newton, a local lawyer who wrote briefs for Gore's courtroom advocate, David Boies, concurs. He says that the various high-flying lawyers who parachuted in to work on various election cases "just couldn't get over how everyone is so nice and so generous: They thought it was magic."

And if people here are that nice to lawyers, just think how pleasant they might be to regular people.


I've lived here for 24 years, more or less. Yes there is crime, in certain areas. Yes, Mr. Marks is under investigation. Etc.

None of that diminishes in any way the quality of life in the parts of Tallahassee to which the native posters here advise people to look for a place to live and raise a family.

Tallahassee is an excellent place to do so - I'm not sure airbornedoc has those priorities, or the kind of personality (or lack thereof) to live in such a place.

More's the pity. He might have learned some manners.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 7,564,294 times
Reputation: 1551
Geez, I can see some of the gripes someone would have about Tallahassee, but I certainly wouldn't resort to making outrageous personal insults.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 AM
 
7,887 posts, read 9,331,061 times
Reputation: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Geez, I can see some of the gripes someone would have about Tallahassee, but I certainly wouldn't resort to making outrageous personal insults.
I blame his parents.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top