U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,986 times

Advertisements

Try Kool Beanz. Good seafood. Good everything and they have a rotating menu. Dinners are expensive but won't bankrupt you (about 20 bucks per dinner).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,865,355 times
I also enjoy Cabo's whenever I'm in town. It has been in business for about 20+ years on the back side of a somewhat dumpy shopping center at the corner of Apalachee Pkwy and Magnolia Street about a mile or two east of the Capitol. I remember when it was basically a take-out place back around 1990 when I was in college - now it has a full bar and adequate restaurant seating. It's as anti-chain as you can get (you can read about the owners/former owners on their website). It has a beach/local vibe, and it caters more to the professional/working crowd than to college kids.

Since someone brought up trails - I'm too lazy to look back to see if I posted this already on this thread - but my wife and I frequently hike the Phipps Park trails when we're in town. It is off Meridian Rd and Miller's Landing Rd on the north side of the city. It is adjacent to Forest Meadows Park and soccer fields and was donated to the city about 25 yrs ago (just guessing). It will give you a very good taste of the "Red Hills" topography in that part of the county - gentle inclines, massive live oaks, pines, etc. Part of it also borders the east side of Lake Jackson.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 AM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,451,683 times
I hate Kool Beanz... Everyone else likes it though.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 AM

2,700 posts, read 3,445,464 times
I'm a Kool Beanz fan for the food, but it can be an annoying place to eat. They don't take reservations, parking can be difficult, sometimes the service is, um, casual, and it can be really loud, which apparently they encourage. So I haven't been going there as much in recent months, although, as I said above, I really like the food.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,328,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
I hate Kool Beanz... Everyone else likes it though.
I won't eat there.

Those bastards have sent me to the ER twice - I have deadly food allergies and have to be careful where I eat, and as a result, I don't eat out much.

Any place that doesn't take me seriously isn't just a danger to me but a danger to everyone, because it says something about their kitchen hygiene. In both cases I got hit due to cross-contamination, which strongly indicates that they aren't keeping things very clean behind the counter...

Old 06-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Ouch.

Didn't they get shut down temporarily a while back for violations?

And Another Broken Egg...rat poop! Noooooooooo!

Last edited by Strel; 06-02-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,584,984 times
Default conservativs...

Those of you looking for a conservative area.....i.e. not destroyed by liberals...can do 2 things...

1) avoid cities...this includes major metropolises like NYC, Chicago, etc...and even smaller cities like Tallahassee, Birmingham...anythign with a city is a disaster, run by crooked politicians, high taxes, high crime..

2) Google "2008 presidential elections results by county"

Anyone that voted for Obama....dont move there...

Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,834 times
Default Floridan

Chickennoodle
I raised my boys in S FL and desired everyday to live somewhere else. My family lived and still lives in S FL - Boynton, Davie, FT Laud, Highland Beach area. I wanted to live around trees, see the season change, live a simpler life. I moved to OR, OH, TX, and now in AZ. haha My boys were grown when I moved, but followed me everywhere. I can't tell you if it will be the same, but I can tell you that no matter where you live, you need your family. I've lived in the most beautiful places in OR and even though I had fullfilled my life quest, surrounded by beauty and tranquility, there was always something missing. My family. My mom and dad, my sister, aunts, uncles, grandparents. I would never have considered taking my kids from them when they were growing up, life is too short for them not to be part of "a family enviroment" and I'm thankful my desire did not let me leave before my kids were grown up. As for now, it's been 10 years since I left FL and my only desire is to get back there. Which I will be moving in 4 months back "home". As much as I can't stand the heat, crowds, traffic, bugs, on and on. There is no place like home. No job, money, enviroment, school... nothing can replace that. Consider long and hard about the effects of not having family around. It does take a village to raise children and nobody will love and care more about your children then you and your family. With that said; I wish you the best no matter where you move to.

Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennoodle View Post
WellShoneMoon - Snakes in the pool!? My goodness I have a lot to learn! Perhaps I won't be sporting a pool of my own right away... Thank you so much for answering my questions. It is so nice to be able to start to picture a place before the opportunity to actually visit.

Strel - The creatures are on my mind a bit less these days, except for those bugs. Yuck. That will certainly take some getting used to, and as any place has it's negatives and positives, I will have to put bugs under my not-so-excited-about-it category! And thank you for the additional information as well. Sometimes I feel so uneducated I might as well be moving out of the country!

KatieNK - It is funny how things can change. Until very recently we never imagined living anywhere else. In fact, we would not have even considered it. My husband and I were born and raised here, our extended family members all live within 30 minutes of us, and we landed good jobs early on - great reasons to stay. I do like my little suburban life here and all that Seattle provides me when I need it. I am used to the weather, though I always hope for more sun, and know a million back roads to help me avoid traffic jams and road construction. The reason for the potential move is for work, and this new opportunity allows us to provide a more stable future for our family. We weren't looking to move away, but the benefits just might outweigh the risks and make us the first to flee the nest in several generations. Believe me; our families are supportive, but not very excited about this!

On any given day I can give you a million reasons why we should stay or go, and most revolve around our kids. I love that our children have a fairly close relationship with their grandparents/extended family and that for ballet recitals, graduations, sporting events and many "first-time" moments, they are surrounded by this support. I trust the schools here because I have studied them and work within them. The list goes on.

Tallahassee itself is not my reason to move. It could have been anywhere. However, after closer inspection, the sun sounds appealing, I could easily expand the size of my home/yard, and my husband could have a stable job that he finds rewarding. Schools can be hit and miss anywhere, and I really believe the right teacher makes all the difference along with the commitment of the family. That being said, I am not afraid to admit that I currently live in this particular area only after extensive research of all the districts in the given area (there are quite a few!) and would do the same again, if the opportunity presented itself. A smaller city doesn't sound all that bad, though I have to admit my shopping habits will be severaly altered and the UPS man would be frequenting my new home often (quite a few of my favorite stores are NOT in Tallahassee)! So it's mostly about the job. Could he find something similar nearby? It is possible. Not likely anytime soon, but possible. And so here we are.

I wish you lots of luck in your relocation to Seattle! I do like it here, am glad your sister is having a positive experience, and wish I felt as committed to something as you appear to! This is a terribly stressful experience (especially for a planner like me) and I hope to have all the cards on the table soon to make the best decision we can. I do think a trip out to Tallahassee is a good idea, and we've been thinking about doing that within the next month. Seeing the area might help sway me in one direction or the other. Or thoroughly confuse me! I guess time will tell.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Those of you looking for a conservative area.....i.e. not destroyed by liberals...can do 2 things...

1) avoid cities...this includes major metropolises like NYC, Chicago, etc...and even smaller cities like Tallahassee, Birmingham...anythign with a city is a disaster, run by crooked politicians, high taxes, high crime..

2) Google "2008 presidential elections results by county"

Anyone that voted for Obama....dont move there...
You are right. Sith don't generally enjoy living in Tallahassee, which is run by Jedi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee