U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:50 AM

10 posts, read 41,027 times

Advertisements

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions of places to eat that allow me a chance out of the kitchen. And those that I may decide to steer clear of.

There are a lot of passionate people on these message boards. One can get lost for hours and see arguments for both sides of any decision being made, as well as occasional odd interjections. I appreciate the varied opinions of others, especially those who have walked in similar shoes, and think it's good to weigh all options. In our situation, our family here is sad to see us go, but supportive and happy for our new adventure. We believe this is the best decision for us at this time. We decided to take the opportunity in front of us and see where it leads - likely, in time, right back home. But for now we intend to use this chance to see and do things that we might not otherwise have done. Distance is what you make of it, and while technology and airplane rides do not replace what we have now, they certainly make it easier than it used to be. This decision was not one about, "do I leave my family or stay in the same vicinity?". Nor was it simply, "money or family?" though it is easy to confuse it all. Like many things, this decision was based on numerous factors and involved countless sleepless nights, hundreds of cell phone minutes and several bottles of wine!

Perhaps I should not have been so open with my feelings earlier. I have been honest and said that those feelings change quickly anyhow. Our children will not suffer from this decision, and in fact, we think they will flourish and grow because of it. For us, this decision makes sense. We are confident, and ready to move forward. This does not mean that life doesn't change, but we are living in the moment, and for now, this is right for our family. And I will share that we have already purchased our first tickets to come back home - an interesting choice since we haven't even purchased our TLH arrival tickets yet!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,506,018 times
Just try not to judge it by how damn hot and humid it is in the summer - fall and spring are wonderful, but it's hotter than hell here right now.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,260 times
My family may possibly be moving to Tallahassee soon too, I hope we will know in the next two weeks we will be also looking for a good elementary school also, our move date will probably be in September.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM

10 posts, read 41,027 times
Congratulations, Wenderlou! I wish you the best of luck and a smooth transition. The packing crew will be here for us in a few short days, and after it is delivered to Tallahassee, we will begin our journey.

Many, many great rental housing options in great school zones have hit the market in just the past few weeks, so you shouldn't have a problem. While the one we picked will do us just fine, I wish we would have waited as there have been a few that have since appeared that I would have rather had! Hind-sight is 20/20, right?!

The people here have been a great help to me, and I'm sure you'll find what you need too.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,506,018 times
The rental market this summer is a lot better (for renters) than it was last year. You can find a 4 bedroom + home office house in the good part of town for 1500 a month - last summer the same places were renting for 1800-1900.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,976 times
@ Chickennoodle... Any updates since you moved? Do you like the area? We are from Seattle, born and raised but have been thinking about a move to FL for a change of scenery and the housing is much cheaper! Not to mention all there is to do in FL and of course the SUN!!
If you get this id love to hear your pro's and con's since you moved? Do you wish you had stayed? Or do you love it in FL? Anything really....
Thanks!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,640 times
Default One Seattleite to another!

Hey, I was born and raised in Sea Town as well, and have been living here in Tally the past 6 years. It was a super hard adjustment but we love it now. Here's a few tips I wish I would have known:

Since schools are an issue, check out Great Schools (.com? .net? can't remember) to learn about the best ranked schools in town. Then base your housing search on that. Don't worry about proximity to downtown. It's such a small city and no commute is as bad as Seattle. (BTW, city size is roughly equivalent to all the Tri-cities combined, if that makes sense. I can't think of another Washington example to give you).

If you are looking to buy, beware that property tax rates here are high. If you live in a nice part of town, in a family sized home, you will most likely pay equivalent to Seattle tax prices, even after the homestead exemption. But overally housing prices are lower, so that should make you happy.

Food and utility prices might surprise you as being high for a small southern city, but overall your costs will definitely be less. On a plus, gas tends to be much cheaper here than in Seattle! We do have Walmarts up the wazoo here, and if you live out Mahan or on the North side of town yours will be clean and nice! I focus my grocery shopping on Publix (the major grocery chain in Florida and the South--the have high prices, but clean stores, excellent customer service, and great BOGO deals, and awesome meat and produce), and Costco. FWIW. Anyway.

You will want access to a pool. It is just about all we do in the summer. Great places to swim are the city pools, Lake Hall at Maclay Gardens, and all the local springs and rivers. I think it would be worth it to get an annual state parks pass this first year. That way you can go to Maclay all you want (state park right here on the north side of town), plus you can visit all the beaches and stay away from the boozing college kids. Ha!

You will slowly learn which water holes are swimmable, and which have too many gators. Just ask the locals. For example, we canoe/kayak the Wakulla, but we don't really swim in that river (except in the swimming area at the state park). BTW, you will see Manatees on the Wakulla river (especially if you canoe/kayak it a ways down from the state park--they don't always stay up near the spring). So sweet! But anyway, don't underestimate the importance of a pool. And the Wakulla is totally doable with small kids. Rent a canoe and lifejackets will come with it. You will see tons of kids out with their dads on Saturday mornings. BTW, our rivers here are slow flowing and shallow compared to Washington. Nothing like the mighty Columbia, but that's a good thing. Better for small kids, and it eases a moms mind.

Next thing to look for: a screened in porch. Locals may argue it isn't necessary, but you are a Pac NWesterner at heart, and will most likely want to enjoy your evenings outdoors. The bugs here are something else. Be vigilant about getting a place with a screened porch. Trust me on this one. I'm furious any housing is built at all without them. I swell up so bad from the mosquitos here (they are a different breed, I swear), and one of my children does as well. They don't affect my husband. In Seattle (in the past) screened porches were a sign of a poorer, older neighborhood. In the South they rock. FWIW.

Do check out the city rec programs. Absolutely the best bang for your buck. Totally worth it especially when the kiddos are little and you aren't sure yet what sports/activities they like. The Truesdale location hosts the most events, and proximity to that would not be a bad thing.

Traffic. Okay. It's not Seattle, so anything will be better. However. All roads lead to the stadium. Not joking. Sometimes it is frustrating trying to get across town. Oh well.

If it were me, I'd focus on living out Mahan (outside capital circle); or up Thomasville road. There are other sweet neighborhoods in town as well (Southwood, Betton Hills, anything off Thomasville but South of the 10--the freeway, that is), but prices are pretty high and taxes are as well, and their elem. schools won't be quite as good. Mahan outside capital circle has close access to Costco, Publix, an awesome preschool (Scottsdale Academy), the new extension of the public library, and the freeway-not that we use the freeway in town. OR, I'd look up Thomasville Road. Way up--since price is an issue for me, but for you guys it might not matter. Beware that the farther you go the closer you get to all sorts of lakes (not great swimmable lakes, btw) and the trees and bugs will be more dense.

What else? The beach!

The closest beach is Shell Point. Maybe 22-25 miles one way. When I desperately need a beach fix, but don't want to drive far I go there. Lots of...country people. It's fine, but culturally a different world. Safe, just a "different" experience. But just a bit farther down the road is...Bald Point State Park. About 45 miles from Tally. Holy moly. Awesome close beach. Lots of sandbars about 20 feet off the coastline at low tide. I walk out with my kids and the water reaches my knees, and my kid's waists. FUN! Also, an outdoor shower and really clean bathrooms since no one visits this park. Moving on. Our pride and joy is St. George Island. About 2 hours away. The State Park is way less crowded than the public beach, and the showers/bathrooms are great. Panama City has great surrounding beaches as well, and the state parks nearby (st. Joseph's and St. Andrews) are quite phenomenal and both offer good snorkeling.

Okay, I've written a novel, so if you have further q's just let me know. Good luck!!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,769 times
My family (with kids ages 4 & 3 ) is also from Seattle and relocating to Tallahassee in the Fall. Thanks for all the great tips and information!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM

13 posts, read 19,424 times
Default Close to Tallahasee - Foley Florida

My husband got offered a job in Foley Florida and we plan to move there around May. Looking at City-Data I see that there are bad places and good places. We are a family of 5 with 3 children ranging from 1 to 12 so good schools are a must. We currently live in Northern Louisiana so we know all about the humidity, awful summers and mosquito's that can be mistaken for vultures! Anyway, can someone let me know where a safe place to live would be? We are not rich by no means, but are looking for a house or trailer in the $100,000 range can you please let me know of some towns to check out. Thanks!!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM
TD*

1,628 posts, read 3,591,057 times
Do you mean Foley Alabama? That is over near Pensacola and Mobile...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee