Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 04:12 PM

108 posts, read 353,992 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am failing in my search for large (2-3 baseball fields, or two football sized fields), open (as in not ringed by trees) fields in or around Tally that would be good for kite flying?

So far everything I have seen is down in a hole, and none are on top of a hill where you can actually catch the wind.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
The Forest Meadows soccer fields off of Miller Landing Rd might have the elevation you are looking for (and there are also nice walking and mountain-biking trails that lead down to Lake Jackson). Have you been to Tom Brown Park?

Of course you could always head down to the coast if you have the time.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the tip on the soccer fields. From the map it looks like big and open enough. If there is any elevation it will probably be perfect!

We tried Tom Brown and the frisbee golf side was promising but way too many trees blocking any real wind down low. we will be heading back there to check the western side as someone mentioned some open ground over there.

Still looking for something closer to the middle of town as we are trying to organize a kite day for the Talahassee Autism Support Coalition.

It's ironic that the beauty of all the trees is hindering the beauty of kite flying. 8^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
The Forest Meadows soccer fields off of Miller Landing Rd might have the elevation you are looking for (and there are also nice walking and mountain-biking trails that lead down to Lake Jackson). Have you been to Tom Brown Park?

Of course you could always head down to the coast if you have the time.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
The athletic fields at Leon or Godby high schools are the largest in-town open areas I can think of. Maybe the intramural fileds at FSU, but those are probably occupied. Maybe also the Messer atheltic fields on the west side of town?

The Forest Meadows fileds are probably your best bet. Go north on Meridian beyond Maclay School, turn left on Miller Landing, and the parking area for the soccer filed will then be on your left. There are a few fields adjacent to one another, which should be fine. Of course they may be occupied by soccer players.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalleyster View Post
Hi folks,

I am failing in my search for large (2-3 baseball fields, or two football sized fields), open (as in not ringed by trees) fields in or around Tally that would be good for kite flying?

So far everything I have seen is down in a hole, and none are on top of a hill where you can actually catch the wind.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom Brown Park - Capital Circle East - it's huge

Micosukee park - HUGE - out Miccosukee Road from Fleischmann to I-10.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
The Greenway, off Miccosukee Road.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
The Greenway, off Miccosukee Road.
Is that what they call it?

Yeah, that place.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:09 PM

That was an excellent suggestion, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee