U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 PM

10 posts, read 40,681 times

Advertisements

We are beginning a home search in the Tallahassee area, and can't help but want a pool. We are born and raised in the Seattle area, and the idea of having one of our own sounds great. We don't, however, want to inherit something that is a nightmare to care for, clean, etc. Several homes note that they need a new "pool liner" - can anyone give me an idea how much that might cost on a medium/moderate sized pool? It appears to be about the $3000 range. And can anyone who has one give me an idea what sort of maintenance (either daily/weekly/monthly/etc.) is involved? The closest thing we've owned is a hot tub! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 AM

108 posts, read 332,353 times
In my previous experinece a pool generally requires 1/2 a day and 4hours a weekend of maintenance. If you don't have that time don't bother as it will become a green mess in no time.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 AM

9,539 posts, read 18,139,604 times
Based on what you said about family income level in the other thread, I'm guessing you could always look into hiring a pool service company to take care of maitenance issues if you discover that's taking up time you'd rather spend doing something else.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,370,972 times
Also...

Get one that is screened in.

If you are not familiar with this part of Florida, let me tell you that there is an abundance of wildlife all around Tallahassee. Foxes, raccoons, possums, deer and even the occasional bear - but it is the mosquitos that are going to eat you alive in the summer.

Not to mention that since we have so many trees, keeping leaves out of your pool can be a real challenge if it isn't covered/screened in.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Screened enclosure is a geat plan. Be sure to get one that is super easy to clean, especially leaves and pine needles off the top.

Oh, and if you choose to get a pool guy, don't get the cheapest one. And learn how to test the water yourself to be sure he is maintaining it properly.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM

10 posts, read 40,681 times
Having a screen does sound like a good idea, and I would not have thought about cleaning the screen itself, so that is something to think about. That doesn't sound like fun at all! And a BEAR?? Those other small creatures might be tolerable, but I will scream if I see a bear! I can see screening out the mosquitos, but is the screen also for keeping out the other animals? Do they come to the pool water for some reason I cannot think of?

Old 02-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Bears are a reality here. My daughter just found a tree in her back yard severely scratched about 4'high. Her botanist friend thinks it was either a big cat (not house) or a small bear.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:13 PM

9,539 posts, read 18,139,604 times
The black bear population in Florida has tripled in the past ten years, with most of the growth in the northern tier of the state. Their main target tends to be garbage cans, so as long as you're able to keep them in a garage, you're cutting down on the chance of a human-bear interaction by 80-90%.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,362 times
The fence you are required to have around your pool will keep most animals out of the pool area. the liner will cost about 3 grand, however I paid 1000 for mine and installed it my self with the help of the internet. The screen is a good idea but it will also keep some of the sun out as well as the leaves. Not real good for tanning. As long as you stay on top of maintaining your pool, it is no problem at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee