U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 15,795 times

Advertisements

We are a young family relocating across the country to Marianna due to a new job. I would be looking into attending FSU Tallahassee and my husband will be working in Marianna, we also have two small children. Are there any nice towns located between these two areas? Is this a commutable distance? Places to avoid? Things we should know? Any help would be greatly appreciated! We have never been and have absolutely no idea what to expect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,864,894 times
My advice would be to live in TLH and have your hubby make the long commute to Marianna. There isn't much between TLH and Marianna that would give you the schools or amenities for a family with kids. Either way, one of you would need to make a commute, and it would probably be easier for him to do so than for you to commute to classes.

HOWEVER...

The problem is that the commute could be 1-1.5 hrs each way. It's a straight shot down I-10 without much traffic between the two places, so at least the drive would be easy.

If you're not sure about whether you will actually be attending FSU, then I guess you could live in Marianna. Or maybe if it's possible to have all of your classes 2 or 3 days per week instead of every day - that would be another reason to live in Marianna instead of TLH. Chipola College is in Marianna and is a "junior college" where you could earn an Associates degree with the potential to transfer to FSU at a 3rd-year level -- that's more common in FL than in most other states and would likely be the safest option for you since you could both live in Marianna without a commute before committing full-time to the area (who knows how new jobs may work out).

Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 15,795 times
Thanks! I looked into all of the colleges/universities in the area and unfortunately FSU is the only institution with my major and I have already completed an associate's degree. Commuting would likely be easier for me 2-3 times weekly, vice him daily, it sounds.

The job will be a permanent one, thankfully. (BOP, FCI Marianna)

We are most concerned with schools, parks, activities, neighborhoods (our children are 3 and 4), access to grocery stores and other conveniences, etc.

Is there anything else you could tell me about Marianna that might be helpful? Are there doctors, dentists etc in the town? I saw that the population was about 8,000 we are moving from a major city so we aren't quite sure what to expect in that regard.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:32 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,559,835 times
Just keep in mind that Marianna is in Central Time, whereas Tallahassee is in Eastern. I imagine that you'd get used to this after awhile, but I suppose the first few months could be strange.

Marianna should have doctors, dentists, and whatnot, as it's the county seat of Jackson County. There's not much else there, though, aside from a movie theater. I suppose a lot of your larger shopping needs would take you to Tallahassee or up to Dothan, AL.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:53 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,864,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJKAZ View Post
Is there anything else you could tell me about Marianna that might be helpful?
I've only been to Marianna a few times - probably nothing unusual about it compared to other small towns of the same size, meaning that medical/shopping choices will be limited. If you're moving from a major city to Marianna, it will be a culture shock -- maybe you'll adapt, maybe you won't -- that's up to you to decide. TLH and Panama City are the closest "big cities", and neither is really a "big city" compared to other major metro areas (each is about an hour or so drive from Marianna).

As someone said, it is in a different time zone than TLH ... which means that it will take you about 2 hours to drive from Marianna to TLH, and only about a minute to drive from TLH to Marianna.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,702 times
Too funny about the 1 minute drive!!! we are also considering a move to SC, GA, FL. We are still unsure of our route, we moved from Maine to NC about a year ago, and the weather has been very nice in the summer, although colder in the winter than we expected. We want to be away from the Tampa and Orlando area, by 3-4 hours. So any help would be greatly appreciated. One caviat is that we want the best of both worlds, we want a "smaller" town with good schools, local convienances and a Target within a short drive. Any assistance would be great, we know that we want a lot, but with it being a big move, AGAIN, we want what we want. We have it now, we are in Mocksville, NC. It IS a great town with everything we want, just a colder winter than what we wanted. Thanks in advance for anything any of you can give us.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:23 PM

7,887 posts, read 9,326,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJKAZ View Post
We are a young family relocating across the country to Marianna due to a new job. I would be looking into attending FSU Tallahassee and my husband will be working in Marianna, we also have two small children. Are there any nice towns located between these two areas? Is this a commutable distance? Places to avoid? Things we should know? Any help would be greatly appreciated! We have never been and have absolutely no idea what to expect.
What JAS said.

Make him drive. He picks up an hour on the way to work (but loses it on the way home!)

If you have kids and worry about schooling, you are much better off living in northern Tallahassee than probably any of your other options in the area.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 AM

2,191 posts, read 3,031,576 times
toddbolduc, You might consider the northern half of Escambia County (north of Pensacola). The schools have a good reputation, and you'll be out in the country, but a quick drive to Pensacola and the shopping there. You might even consider Pace in Santa Rosa county. It's a small town with shopping, and the schools have a good reputation.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 PM

9 posts, read 24,660 times
I made the commute from east-side Marianna to FSU for 2 years and believe me it is going to be brutal no matter how you look at it. It is a minimum 70-mile drive and that's just to the city limits. You have to get off the Interstate and drive through horrible traffic patterns to get to FSU. Marianna itself isn't that great of a town (I lived there for 25 years) - the schools are only so-so, crime and drug traffic is high, and there's a lot of substandard housing. And there's only one reason we used to call Marianna the "armpit" of the south - it's HOT, it's HUMID, sticky and sweaty for 9 months a year. Plus a lot of really big roaches and billions of mosquitos. But, you've probably already moved there by now and learned for yourself!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 24,660 times
I agree with FSUMike. The northern half of Escambia County is about the ONLY place I'd ever consider living in Florida again. The schools are better and the Univ. of West Florida is located there. The beach is about 45 mins away and Pensacola is big enough to have a Target! And while Mobile, AL isn't exactly the cultural capital of the world, it is bigger than Pensacola, close by, and nice enough to visit. Still hot, humid, and buggy, but so is everywhere in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee