Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,365 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the Tallahassee area this summer from Southern California. We have never been to Northern Florida, and it'll probably be another month before our house hunting trip.

In the meantime, I've been looking online, and I've found several properties that I really like in Midway. Is this a good area? We have a daughter who is nearly four, and will likely be adding to our family. I will be attending FSU, so I will have to commute. Are there things to do in Midway? Shopping? I can't seem to find anything on it.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,172 times
Midway, well there just isn't much there... Its right off of I-10 about 10 miles from Tallahassee, Sandwiched MIDWAY between Tallahassee, and Quincy...

For shopping you have your choice... Drive into Tallahassee 10 miles via US 90 or I-10.. and you have plenty of options.

The one Large downside i See to living there is schooling for your kids... Gadsden county schools are notoriously low rated, and it would be best if you lived in midway to Drive them to Tallahassee for School if possible, private school or homeschool.

Just my Opinion..

Heres an idea... Check out the town of Havana, Fl... it is about 15 miles from Tallahassee, but it has a bit more substance... It has a grocery store or 2 so you wont have to shop in town all the time..

It also has a lovely downtown full of Antiques which is popular shopping.

Any more questions?

Let me know..

Midway is not a BAD area, but its not highly desirable either... You can probably find a cheaper place here than in Tallahassee, so thats the good news..

IF you dont mind living here, and commuting 10 miles for Groceries, School, and Potentially work, I say go for it.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks! I was really hoping there would be at least a grocery store or two... I am just in love with a home there - if only I could transport it! I will look at Havana. Are there any other surrounding areas you would recommend?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,089 times
Yeah, there's absolutely nothing in Midway.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,996,415 times
I'm missing something here -- why don't you want to live in Tallahassee? If you're going to FSU, and if you have a small child for whom you'll most likely want better schools than anything you can find in Gadsden County, and if you want reasonably accessible shopping, I just don't think you can do better than Tallahassee. Havana is cute for once-in-a-while antique shopping, but that's about it, IMHO.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM

Well, the plan *is* to move to Tallahassee... I just happened to find an amazing home for an amazing price in Midway. But I guess now I know why it's an amazing price!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,728 times
Forget about Midway. Live in TLH. There's a reason why prices are very cheap in Midway -- it's a rural area with high poverty and bad schools.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curi View Post
Well, the plan *is* to move to Tallahassee... I just happened to find an amazing home for an amazing price in Midway. But I guess now I know why it's an amazing price!
Be careful who you deal with out there. That area is rife with some not so savory real estate agents...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,908,001 times
Southern California to North Florida? Be ready for a culture shock.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:57 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,089 times
It just so happens that I went through Midway today. I stopped at the Sunoco on US 90 right across from city hall. It was municipal elections day and everyone was holding signs outside of the polling place. Everyone was very friendly, even after they found out I wasn't a Gadsden County voter. Still, you couldn't pay me to live in Midway, not because it's a bad place or anything, there's just nothing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee