U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-09-2011, 04:59 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,597 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Tallahassee this summer. We have checked out the city a few times with a realtor but nothing in particular has grabbed our eye yet. Quick question for the current residents out there. What is a good area to live with a young family that doesn't make you feel like you are too much in the suburbs? That is, I would love to live somewhere safe where I could still walk to (nicer) restaurants and bars.

If that isn't possible, where do people think you should live if you want to avoid the whole cookie cutter/planned community thing (i.e., a house with some character)?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 AM
 
7,887 posts, read 9,324,867 times
Reputation: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
My family and I are moving to Tallahassee this summer. We have checked out the city a few times with a realtor but nothing in particular has grabbed our eye yet. Quick question for the current residents out there. What is a good area to live with a young family that doesn't make you feel like you are too much in the suburbs? That is, I would love to live somewhere safe where I could still walk to (nicer) restaurants and bars.
Closer in or farther out?

Closer in, you want to look at midtown, on either side of Thomasville Road. There is a developing wine bar/restaurant neighborhood between Monroe and Betton Road these days.


Farther out you would want to look at Thomasville Road north of the Interstate, "downtown north" is developing rapidly in what used to be Bradfordville.


Quote:
If that isn't possible, where do people think you should live if you want to avoid the whole cookie cutter/planned community thing (i.e., a house with some character)?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks....
For that, look at some of the older neighborhoods - again, probably midtown if you want to walk to stuff.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,597 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the advice. I will work at the university so I would prefer closer in, I guess. Is that like the Los Robles and Betton Hills area? Is Waverly too far out?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 PM
JAS
 
Location: Metro Atlanta
582 posts, read 1,864,600 times
Reputation: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will work at the university so I would prefer closer in, I guess. Is that like the Los Robles and Betton Hills area? Is Waverly too far out?
Waverly is not too far out, not unless you're accustomed to walking to work. Maybe a 15-minute drive to campus, especially if you learn the short cuts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 AM
 
7,887 posts, read 9,324,867 times
Reputation: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will work at the university so I would prefer closer in, I guess. Is that like the Los Robles and Betton Hills area? Is Waverly too far out?
All of those are pretty nice and not too far out. Still too far to walk to campus, probably.

But then again, you really don't WANT to live in walking distance of campus...

I threw the Halloween party to end all Halloween parties in that big house right in the middle of Los Robles back in 2000....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
 
79 posts, read 173,160 times
Reputation: 79
In your situation I will look on the east side of Monroe Street and north side of Apalachee Parkway. Anything within Capital Circle is close enough.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top