U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,788 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were recently in Port St. Joe Florida and are considering relocating here. My sister in law moved there after accepting a nursing job in the area. We really loved the hospitality and wonderful beaches and lets not for get the shrimp! We are on a fixed income and seen that rent is affordable. I think the reason I like the area so much is because of the southern Ala. influence. I spent some time growing up in the N.W corner of Ala. My teen and adult years in Tampa and St. Pete. It would be much appreciated if anyone in this area could give me any info on the area. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnevel View Post
My husband and I were recently in Port St. Joe Florida and are considering relocating here. My sister in law moved there after accepting a nursing job in the area. We really loved the hospitality and wonderful beaches and lets not for get the shrimp! We are on a fixed income and seen that rent is affordable. I think the reason I like the area so much is because of the southern Ala. influence. I spent some time growing up in the N.W corner of Ala. My teen and adult years in Tampa and St. Pete. It would be much appreciated if anyone in this area could give me any info on the area. Thanks.
Well, Port St Joe is going to need a lot more nurses. The big controversy right now in PSJ and Gulf County is that the S Glenn Farris guy who wanted to build a biomass burner/gasifier in Tallahassee has now, for the second time, been trying to do the same in Port St. Joe. After suffering for 50 years with a very bad polluting papermill, now the people and environment there would suffer from more pollution. Particulate matter and dioxin are two big health concerns. Those burners/gasifiers have a track record of blowing up too; lots of volatiles on site. They create hexavalent chromium when they use anti-scaling acids in the cooling towers and cooling processes also - very expensive to try to filter out, and almost impossible to do anyway. Why would a beautiful coastal community consent to allowing a polluter to move in? Lots of empty promises of jobs and money. The biomass promoters stand to gain hundreds of million$ in subsidies and grants, in the form of your tax money from the treasury...DOE grants and federal subsidies. That's what it's all about.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,788 times
Default PSJ bio burner

when are the people of PSJ going to find out whether or not the bio burner is coming to this area? Definitely a bummer if it happens. Hope Gulf co. doesn't sell out. Seems to me something like that will cause all kinds of sickness and cancers. Hate to see such a beautiful place ruined for greed. Thanks hopeforcleanwater for your input.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 AM

13,394 posts, read 42,217,946 times
I just posted about my PSJ experiences in the Apalachicola thread.

Here is an article about the energy project (link from the PSJ newspaper) (http://www.starfl.com/news/energy-22808-renewable-citizens.html - broken link)
Snippet: A similar air emissions permit was challenged by citizens a year ago and was headed toward a state administrative hearing before the application was pulled in order to fine-tune the technical process of converting woody biomass – 930 dry tons a day comprised primarily of forest residue and fast-growing grasses, in the case of the Port St. Joe plant – into steam to turn turbines to produce electricity

Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 PM

6 posts, read 10,575 times
i think PSJ is the best kept secret in the panhandle of florida. beautiful town, nice people and convenient to panama city or tallahassee if you absolutely have to go a bigger city. the town is just small enough that the people have not lost thier country appeal, its not in the armpit of florida so the beaches and water are clean and clear. The possible biomass plant that you will never notice will provide some nice jobs in the future. and yes, we do sometimes affectionately call it LA (lower alabama) region. it is a very well kept city. i have worked in PSJ on many occasions and my crew and i enjoyed staying there on extended trips. its about 50 miles from where i live now but i travel through it all the time on my way to tyndall afb. i have often thought of relocating there myself. you wont be disapointed.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:56 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,615,837 times
i think this thread was a setup.

and yes, PSJ is a nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee