Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:10 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Wow you must not know about Tallahassee at all! Visiting is not enough. There's hella gays in Tallahassee first of all. I seriously doubt you'd be victim of a hate crime. Second, Tallahassee is not that nice to me. It's kinda ghetto to be honest. Slightly better than Miami. But same ol' hoodrats and mentality once you step outside the university areas. And even then in the university there's ignorant people. I went to FSU and FAMU events ALL THE TIME when I lived in Tallahassee. They still act like high school kids and thugs with no home training.
Did you ever get more than 2 miles from campus? Because north Tallahassee is nothing like that at all. Campus is in the not so nice part of town. Permanent residents have better places to go...where it is a very nice, clean green family town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 03:35 PM

40 posts, read 176,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It's still pretty bad, there was even a Florida Bar Continuing Education course on "how to deal with corruption in South Florida." I think that says it all!
Wow! I did not know that particular fact... remember I'm not originally from Florida and in the four years living here have learned a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Tallahassee is more of an old hippy pothead town LOL. There's certainly plenty of that here. But since they don't usually cause any trouble and half of them are suburban lawyers and lobbyists, the cops don't worry about it much.
You have said something interesting which is true and really sad. Cops ignore drug dealers if they keep a low profile life as in the case of suburban lawyers and lobbyists in Tallahassee that you mention. It is like living with a powerful deadly virus (drug trafficking) and not taking any medical treatment because it does not cause harm at first sight (low profile drug dealers).

On the other hand, during the Cocaine Cowboys era the federal, state and local authorities in Miami-Dade started attacking drug trafficking exclusively due to the scandalously and rapid increase in murders which brought the attention of the media and general public. Meanwhile, it was a silent business, a low profile industry subtly enabled by the government... what a shame!

Hypocrisy and double moral is killing Florida and the rest of America as well!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:57 PM

40 posts, read 176,335 times
Quote:
Wow you must not know about Tallahassee at all! Visiting is not enough. There's hella gays in Tallahassee first of all. I seriously doubt you'd be victim of a hate crime.
Well, I understand that one day or two are not enough to judge a city but I do have a good (not perfect, not unequivocal) perceptive ability to understand many things in a short period of time. In regards to hate crime, I meant that I would fear it living in other counties out of Leon... like Jefferson, Gadsden or Wakulla. I forgot that Tallahassee is the only incorporated city in Leon (like Jacksonville in Duval County) and for many people both things means the same. So I hope my clarification helps you now understand my point.

Quote:
There are many different cities that are away from the crime and corruption of Miami. Boca Raton, Wellington, Weston, Palm Beach Gardens, Royal Palm Beach, Jupiter, are all good examples of that.
Yes, I agree... they are great places to live but rents and house prices are ridiculously high for what you get. However, short time ago I was reading in the Sun-Sentinel that Palm Beach County is now the new leader in corruption. So... we get surprises everywhere.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:17 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,042,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlguy View Post
You have said something interesting which is true and really sad. Cops ignore drug dealers if they keep a low profile life as in the case of suburban lawyers and lobbyists in Tallahassee that you mention. It is like living with a powerful deadly virus (drug trafficking) and not taking any medical treatment because it does not cause harm at first sight (low profile drug dealers).

On the other hand, during the Cocaine Cowboys era the federal, state and local authorities in Miami-Dade started attacking drug trafficking exclusively due to the scandalously and rapid increase in murders which brought the attention of the media and general public. Meanwhile, it was a silent business, a low profile industry subtly enabled by the government... what a shame!

Hypocrisy and double moral is killing Florida and the rest of America as well!
The cocaine wars in Miami in the 1980's were unlike anything else. I guess the only similarity in America would be the LA gang wars over the years.

Carl Hiassen has some compilation books of his articles written during the mayhem and violence of Miami during this time. Gun wars in the streets, malls, public areas, etc. Crazy stuff.

I see your point about the hypocrisy of the govt. at times, but there's still a difference between the guy involved in a drive-by shooting or other violence due to his drug business and the guy growing some weed in his spare bedroom or out behind the garage.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Wow! I did not know that particular fact... remember I'm not originally from Florida and in the four years living here have learned a lot.

Meh. The potheads in Tallahassee have been here for 40 years. As long as they stay away from the students and don't otherwise cause any trouble, the cops really do have better things to do, one would hope.

They're not out on Saturday night trying to kill each other. They're inside eating pizza and watching HBO.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:00 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,490,103 times
Yeah, calling people who smoke pot, eat some Twinkies & watch bad movies in their living room "drug dealers" is pretty ignorant.

I'm just saying, pot has never directly caused a person's death in recorded history, unlike lets say legal stuff like alcohol & cigarettes (thousands a year). But I bet you wouldn't look down your nose at the people who do those things.

The only real harm pot has mostly caused are from the laws banning it.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 AM

The CITY cops in Tallahassee can be pretty hardcore - I guess they have to be because they deal with the stuff going on in the south side and often have to deal with students, who can be annoying.

The Leon County cops are generally more reasonable in my experience, and sometimes don't bother busting people caught smoking pot in public unless they are otherwise going to be some kind of trouble.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 AM

25 posts, read 44,570 times
Right on! Im trying to get my wife interested in going to Florida from here in Maine and the people she has talked to that have gone there have completely brain washed her into thinking Florida is over crowded,terrible traffic,always to hot, and full of snakes! They too have only gone to one place and formed there own narrow minded opinion of FL!
Quote:
I am originally from Puerto Rico and have been living in Orlando for the past four years. I love to learn about new places and have become familiarized with many cities across Peninsular Florida including:
  • South Region: Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Pompano Beach, Venus.
  • Central Region: Tampa, Clearwater, St Petersburg, Orlando, Kissimmee, Apopka, Sanford, Cocoa Beach, Titusville, Melbourne, Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach
  • North Region: Palm Coast, Jacksonville
My experience has allowed me to notice many different and common attitudes in Florida depending on geographic area. One place that I wanted to visit was Tallahassee and two days ago I was there for business purposes.

I want to make clear that my impressions about Tallahassee are very subjective. It's imposible to judge a city in only one or two days. But here are my findings:

POSITIVES:
  • It's beautifully hilly in contrast to Peninsular Florida. I definitively loved it!
  • I noticed many well educated people, majority of them working for the state government or related to the public universities there. If I compare attitudes among well educated people in Tallahassee versus well educated people in Miami... TALLAHASSEE WINS... people in Miami tend to be arrogant like if there is nothing else out of South Florida... very closed mentality in a so international place like Miami.
  • People in Tallahassee seems to be friendly. I visited Governors Square and was surprised about people courtesy.
  • Tallahassee seems to be in transition from a small and quiet town with few entertainment options to a more vibrant and diverse city. But at the same time, it's my impression that transition has been slow due to the current economy everywhere and also strong resistance from powerful economic interests in the region.
  • Tallahassee seems to be like Washington, DC where government and universities are the motor of the local economy.
NEGATIVES:

My critics to Tallahassee are mostly related to being the seat of the state government.
  • Why is Tallahassee the state capital? I know there were historical reasons in choosing the state capital but all of this is irrelevant if we consider being really representative of the state population.
  • Why not choosing Jacksonville, Gainesville or even Ocala? Tallahassee is so far from where the majority of state residents and voters live. Now I understand why South Florida (where most of the state money comes from) have considered becoming another state. Tallahassee is 8 hours far from Miami... never mind Key West.
  • Distance of Tallahassee from the rest of the state makes it ideal for government corruption and citizen disengagement.
  • No nightlife options for gays... in spite of the increasing gay population.
  • I would stay within the urban city limits... the rest of the region makes me feel afraid of being a hate crime victim.
In spite of my critics, I would rate Tallahassee with a fair 85%... it's not a bad place and have a great potential.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,309,548 times
Quote:
Considering my limited experience driving from Orlando to Tallahassee, stopping in most of the rest areas accross the I-10, noticing how isolated most towns of the Panhandle are, I would fear being a victim of a hate crime if I live outside of Tallahassee. It is also possible that this perception could be mistaken.
Don't take this the wrong way, but after reading other posts of yours, you seem to have an irrational fear of being a victim of a crime, especially violent crime.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,104,631 times
Quote:
In regards to hate crime, I meant that I would fear it living in other counties out of Leon... like Jefferson, Gadsden or Wakulla.
Gadsden County Florida is 54.4% black and 8.7 % Hispanic.
Jefferson County, Florida 32.9% black and 3.1% Hispanic.

Why would you fear being a victim of a hate crime considering so many other
minorities already live in these counties???

Is it because of the stereotype that outside of the "city" in the area, since it's in the deep south, once you step out into the rural
it must be nothing bout crazed rednecks just waiting to attack the first minorities they see?

lol Nevermind the fact that a TON of deep south, very rural counties, have a VERY large minority (black) population and have ever since slavery, because many of them remained in the areas where their ancestors originally lived when brought into this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee