U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 03:47 PM

40 posts, read 167,267 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Puerto Rico and have been living in Orlando for the past four years. I love to learn about new places and have become familiarized with many cities across Peninsular Florida including:
  • South Region: Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Pompano Beach, Venus.
  • Central Region: Tampa, Clearwater, St Petersburg, Orlando, Kissimmee, Apopka, Sanford, Cocoa Beach, Titusville, Melbourne, Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach
  • North Region: Palm Coast, Jacksonville
My experience has allowed me to notice many different and common attitudes in Florida depending on geographic area. One place that I wanted to visit was Tallahassee and two days ago I was there for business purposes.

I want to make clear that my impressions about Tallahassee are very subjective. It's imposible to judge a city in only one or two days. But here are my findings:

POSITIVES:
  • It's beautifully hilly in contrast to Peninsular Florida. I definitively loved it!
  • I noticed many well educated people, majority of them working for the state government or related to the public universities there. If I compare attitudes among well educated people in Tallahassee versus well educated people in Miami... TALLAHASSEE WINS... people in Miami tend to be arrogant like if there is nothing else out of South Florida... very closed mentality in a so international place like Miami.
  • People in Tallahassee seems to be friendly. I visited Governors Square and was surprised about people courtesy.
  • Tallahassee seems to be in transition from a small and quiet town with few entertainment options to a more vibrant and diverse city. But at the same time, it's my impression that transition has been slow due to the current economy everywhere and also strong resistance from powerful economic interests in the region.
  • Tallahassee seems to be like Washington, DC where government and universities are the motor of the local economy.
NEGATIVES:

My critics to Tallahassee are mostly related to being the seat of the state government.
  • Why is Tallahassee the state capital? I know there were historical reasons in choosing the state capital but all of this is irrelevant if we consider being really representative of the state population.
  • Why not choosing Jacksonville, Gainesville or even Ocala? Tallahassee is so far from where the majority of state residents and voters live. Now I understand why South Florida (where most of the state money comes from) have considered becoming another state. Tallahassee is 8 hours far from Miami... never mind Key West.
  • Distance of Tallahassee from the rest of the state makes it ideal for government corruption and citizen disengagement.
  • No nightlife options for gays... in spite of the increasing gay population.
  • I would stay within the urban city limits... the rest of the region makes me feel afraid of being a hate crime victim.
In spite of my critics, I would rate Tallahassee with a fair 85%... it's not a bad place and have a great potential.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 PM

Default Wake Up Tally!

As of 05/06/2011 sixteen people have read my post, one of them gave me a reputation reply which I appreciate... and what happened to the rest?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,896,426 times
Not sure why you feel that you would be threatened with a hate crime, but everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

TLH was chosen as the capital a long time ago (around 1820), back when FL was a territory and not even a state yet. It was midway between Pensacola and St. Augustine, two of the largest cities/ports in FL at that time. There was nothing much in FL south of this area except for native Americans, snakes, alligators, mosquitos, and scalawags -- the areas south of central FL didn't become heavily populated until well in the 1900's. FL isn't the only state like this ... why is the capital of CA in Sacramento, for example (likely because of the gold rush and the fact that southern CA wasn't heavily populated back in the 1800's)?

TLH was actually even a seat of govt before the Europeans set up shop there. It was also a somewhat prominent location for native Americans. So in summary, TLH was a town long before the resorts, high rises and theme parks were built elsewhere in FL.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:58 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,896,426 times
By the way, I agree with your general assessments. I think most of your observations are very fair and on point (except for the hate crime part).

Old 05-06-2011, 07:58 AM

79 posts, read 177,046 times
I have lived in different Florida locales since the late '60's and find your initial observations about Tallahassee very perceptive but I do not understand the reference to staying within the city limits and hate crime.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:30 AM

Default Tallahassee is a blue dot in a red sea

Thank you for replying! Remember that my opinion is subjective and not comprenhensive due to the fact that it's impossible to judge a metro area in two days like in my case.

Considering my limited experience driving from Orlando to Tallahassee, stopping in most of the rest areas accross the I-10, noticing how isolated most towns of the Panhandle are, I would fear being a victim of a hate crime if I live outside of Tallahassee. It is also possible that this perception could be mistaken.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,505,479 times
Like the others, I think you are overly worried about being subjected to a hate crime. Tallahassee itself is pretty socially liberal or at least tolerant. Outside the city you may encounter more socially conservative people, but they generally mind their own business and wouldn't bother you. They might not agree with your lifestyle, but they will probably be polite about it.

Now if you walk into a remote redneck bar late at night, stand on the bar and proclaim your gayness, that could be a different story LOL.

As for corruption, the attitude in Tallahassee is that we see less of it BECAUSE we are so far from south Florida!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
As for corruption, the attitude in Tallahassee is that we see less of it BECAUSE we are so far from south Florida!
Well, there is no doubt that South Florida counties (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe) are leaders in corruption... which is a shame... but South Florida is also the area where most of the state income comes from benefiting Tallahassee and the rest of the state as well.

For example, Miami-Dade was notorious during the late 70s and early 80s due to the drug trafficking, mostly cocaine (the Cocaine Cowboys era). It is also well documented that most of the urban shape of the Miami that we know today was possible due to the money coming from drug trafficking.

I am sure however that other counties in South Florida and in the rest of the state... INCLUDING TALLAHASSEE... took advantage of the big cake before the federal government intervened.

So given this example, my point is that it is a very common tendency in Tallahassee to point a finger at local governments in South Florida for corruption as if Tallahassee would not take part of it too.

I am not defending in any way the corruption and drug trafficking, but condemn the common hypocritical attitude of many in Tallahassee about corruption in South Florida.

ANYWAY...

Ladies and gentlemen, I want to announce a referendum tomorrow to move the seat of the Florida State Government to a more convenient location in the Peninsular Florida, where majority of population live. Proposed locations are the following:
  • Jacksonville
  • Gainesville
  • Ocala
After the referendum, South Florida will become the 51st state... it does not matter the referendum results in favor or opposition of moving the state government seat. Why not allowing South Florida to become a state?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,505,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlguy View Post
Well, there is no doubt that South Florida counties (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe) are leaders in corruption... which is a shame... but South Florida is also the area where most of the state income comes from benefiting Tallahassee and the rest of the state as well.
I understand that is the perception. I'm not entirely sure it is as true as some down there would like to believe.

I also think there is something good about getting all of the politicians out of their local urban areas and make them come up here - away from some of the pressure - to make decisions.

The people who live and work here full time stay pretty much the same no matter who is in charge, and go about the business of running the state day to day pretty successfully, but naturally when things get done right, it doesn't make the papers.

Quote:
For example, Miami-Dade was notorious during the late 70s and early 80s due to the drug trafficking, mostly cocaine (the Cocaine Cowboys era). It is also well documented that most of the urban shape of the Miami that we know today was possible due to the money coming from drug trafficking.
It's still pretty bad, there was even a Florida Bar Continuing Education course on "how to deal with corruption in South Florida." I think that says it all!

Quote:
I am sure however that other counties in South Florida and in the rest of the state... INCLUDING TALLAHASSEE... took advantage of the big cake before the federal government intervened.
Tallahassee is more of an old hippy pothead town LOL. There's certainly plenty of that here. But since they don't usually cause any trouble and half of them are suburban lawyers and lobbyists, the cops don't worry about it much.

Quote:
So given this example, my point is that it is a very common tendency in Tallahassee to point a finger at local governments in South Florida for corruption as if Tallahassee would not take part of it too.
We have our share of corruption of course, it's not perfect here - but as someone that deals with the local governments of all 67 counties in this state on a weekly basis at least, let me tell you that there's only a couple of counties that can approach Miami-Dade or Broward or Palm Beach in not only the level of overall corruption, but in the tolerance and indifference to it.

Lee County is pretty bad. Collier is worse. Dixie County is beyond ridiculous. I've spent some time in the Federal Court in Gainesville over the nonsense going on in Dixie County, which is apparently run by seriously corrupt white trash criminals.

At least the criminals in Miami manage to be COMPETENT criminals!

Quote:
I am not defending in any way the corruption and drug trafficking, but condemn the common hypocritical attitude of many in Tallahassee about corruption in South Florida.

ANYWAY...

Ladies and gentlemen, I want to announce a referendum tomorrow to move the seat of the Florida State Government to a more convenient location in the Peninsular Florida, where majority of population live. Proposed locations are the following:
  • Jacksonville
  • Gainesville
  • Ocala
After the referendum, South Florida will become the 51st state... it does not matter the referendum results in favor or opposition of moving the state government seat. Why not allowing South Florida to become a state?
Been tried many times and failed for many reasons. It's just too expensive.

South Florida as a state would be buying water from North Florida to stay wet...

Old 05-06-2011, 12:58 PM

7,111 posts, read 11,156,720 times
Wow you must not know about Tallahassee at all! Visiting is not enough. There's hella gays in Tallahassee first of all. I seriously doubt you'd be victim of a hate crime. Second, Tallahassee is not that nice to me. It's kinda ghetto to be honest. Slightly better than Miami. But same ol' hoodrats and mentality once you step outside the university areas. And even then in the university there's ignorant people. I went to FSU and FAMU events ALL THE TIME when I lived in Tallahassee. They still act like high school kids and thugs with no home training.

I don't know why you want to go to Tally-Ho, but whatever floats your boat. I have family all across south florida and it takes WAY too long to travel down there from Tallahassee. That's why once I moved out, it was for good. I really don't miss it. There's better places in Florida to live. And living in South FL really isn't that bad. There's many different cities that are away from the crime and corruption of Miami. Boca Raton, Wellington, Weston, Palm Beach Gardens, Royal Palm Beach, Jupiter, are all good examples of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee