U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 AM

56 posts, read 136,528 times

Advertisements

Thank you! I've been reading and checking forums all over the Florida area. Some people are even saying that you need to lock your horses up at night in a STRONG barn because of the bears and panthers... ? I think strong enough bars on the windows and air vents and a good door should be fine with some kind of 'squirrel cage' attic fan for ventilation at night would do the trick... I went to a New Mexico sight and found a video of a couple Black Widow spiders and their nests. I would NEVER have guessed what their rather pitiful excuse for a nest looked like and I would never have suspected the typical location, so that was very informative. I'm thinking a shop vac with a LONG suction tube might be the way to remove them... ?

Other than I can't wander around barefoot through the fields and pastures or even in my pottery studio for that matter will be my biggest challenge.

I've watched your heat indexes and looked up the averages, we're consistently having near 90-99 degrees here with 80% humidity, so I don't think that will be an issue - especially when you consider that there won't be the bitter winter gray blues going on for 7 months!

So what do ya think, are most of the snakes likely to be in their hideouts after dark? ARE there a lot of bears and panthers lurking about in this area - I guess THEY would be out mostly at night? So if I have a very bright outside barn light could I go back and forth from the house to the barn? Come to think of it, I would guess if there were something out there that didn't belong my dogs would bark at it...

Well, at least the worst of your bad-guys have 4 legs and not 2! And sweating is better than shivering ANY day!
T.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,505,086 times
I think that before you move your horses here, it might be a good idea to check with one or more veterinarians in the area who treat horses. They have the expertise and the local knowledge and are in a better position to advise you about how to care for your horses in this area. I know what it's like for humans to live in north Fla., but I suspect that horses may have some different needs.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,578,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Miiagi View Post
And sweating is better than shivering ANY day!
I agree, but it can still get pretty cold in the Panhandle. North Florida is the coldest place I've ever been, but then again, I'm a Central Florida native.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Great ideas! I'll google local vets and I'll find out what I need from at least one of them... didn't even think of that.

Northern Florida cold? Hmmmmmm... considering where I'm coming from (Detroit area) I doubt that I'll even blink at whatever this area throws at me... besides, it's not really the cold temps that get you in Michigan, it's the constant GRAY and bleak days with icy conditions and NO SUN for MONTHS!!!!! No wonder people here are depressed.

I'll check for vets right now, I want to be out of here before the gray rolls in

Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM

108 posts, read 331,748 times
Bears, Panthers and Snakes don't go looking to attack people, especially if you make a lot of noise while you walk. They want no part of you.

Forget the barefoot outside of your porch. On your porch shoud be fine if you can see the floor before walking on it.

No animals attack horses in their barn, other than the 2 legged kind.

Your dogs and a shotgun is all you will need for protection.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 AM

Just what I was hoping to hear! I'm very happy to co-exist with the wildlife around, I just don't want me or my pets to be their lunch. We have bears here in the northern part of the state and they really don't cause trouble unless the people mess with their young or start trying to tame them because they look so cute (or leave garbage out where they can get it).

As far as the 2 legged variety goes, I CAN handle them .

Old 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 24,736 times
Default You must be living under a rock...

Anybody moving to any part of Florida should automatically expect plenty of snakes, bugs, and insects to be a daily concern of life. Fleas will infest all of your animals. Spiders, ticks, roaches, waterbugs, mosquitoes, chiggers, gnats will be a constant daily presence, especially in a horse pasture, and just wait until April when the love-bugs are mating. What a mess! This is true of North Florida, Central Florida, South Florida - anywhere you live in Florida. And, no, nobody will freeze to death in Florida - they will just sweat themselves to death from the oppressive heat and humidity of summer. Marianna has a largely uneducated population and a lot of jobs are of the minimum-wage variety. The Boys School recently closed and this has had a severe impact on the economy so you should either be retired when you move there or good luck finding a job that pays a living wage. You won't find much to entertain you locally as far as cultural or sporting events are concerned although there is a small junior college located there which occasionally has something to offer. The main shopping areas are located in Dothan, AL or Panama City, Florida. Tallahassee is a little bit farther down the road going east. I lived here for twenty years and experienced two hurricanes which had little impact on the Marianna area and I don't recall any tornado activity to be especially concerned with. And, you are correct - homes in this area DO NOT have basements due to not only the water table being so high plus all the constant rain this community gets keeps them damp and moldy. I would be very cafeful of buying or building a home with a basment regardless of how much the seller assures you they've never had a problem with their basement. The schools are not very good in any of the rural locations of Florida and not much better in the larger cities, either, unless you can find a good magnet/charter school of which Marianna has none. Don't know if you've moved there yet or not but I would definitely, definitely visit there before I moved there and take a good, in-depth look around.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:01 AM

79 posts, read 173,564 times
Instead of storms, snakes and bugs I would worry about about the opportunities for employment, shopping and medical care.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
The largest rattle snake that I've ever seen (including the zoo) was in Marianna, Florida on Christmas Day, 1987 and it was 28 degrees. So the myth that snakes hibernate and live in holes is just that, A MYTH. I have seen rattle snakes crossing the road, in barns, in fields, and in the woods. And another thing, they do not always rattle before striking! That's another myth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee