Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 AM

640 posts, read 1,298,232 times

Advertisements

Tallahasee, Fla. - John Giuffo - Forbes

Tallahasee, Fla.

Florida’s capital city, Tallahassee, leads the state in crime with 775 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. Its location on Interstate 10 makes it an attractive city for drug runners who bring contraband north from Miami and the surrounding area. The Tallahassee Police Department has stressed the need to boost funds to interdict drugs moving north, and a high rate of aggravated assaults seems to accompany the drug trafficking, according to Stults. Poverty also plays a role. “At the city level, poverty is one of the strongest predictors of crime rate, and there are definitely large pockets of poverty in Tallahassee – like most cities of its size, it is also segregated, and that contributes to higher crime rates in some areas,” says Stults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,758,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Tallahasee, Fla. - John Giuffo - Forbes

Tallahasee, Fla.

Florida’s capital city, Tallahassee, leads the state in crime with 775 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. Its location on Interstate 10 makes it an attractive city for drug runners who bring contraband north from Miami and the surrounding area. The Tallahassee Police Department has stressed the need to boost funds to interdict drugs moving north, and a high rate of aggravated assaults seems to accompany the drug trafficking, according to Stults. Poverty also plays a role. “At the city level, poverty is one of the strongest predictors of crime rate, and there are definitely large pockets of poverty in Tallahassee – like most cities of its size, it is also segregated, and that contributes to higher crime rates in some areas,” says Stults.
They also rank NY as #6 safest city. I would fell a lot safer walking around Tallahassee then NY.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,195,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
They also rank NY as #6 safest city. I would fell a lot safer walking around Tallahassee then NY.
Why?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,044,587 times
The fact that places like Springfiled and Rockford, IL are on the list and New Orleans, Atlanta, etc. aren't on the list show that there are some significant flaws in the measurements used for the rankings.

I know it is based on rates as opposed to total crime numbers, but it still doesn't make sense. Crime is horrible in most parts of Atlanta -- girls were assaulted on Georgia Tech's campus three nights in a row recently (not to mention the home invasions and robberies that were frequent on and around campus last year), for example.

Anecdotal evidence can be used on either side, but I'll explain it this way -- as far as TLH crime is concerened, if you're not trying to buy drugs on the "bad side" of town, if you don't leave shopping bags in full view in the back seat of your car at the mall, if you don't stumble out of a bar at 2:00 AM and decide to take a short cut through the 'hood ... you will be extremely safe in TLH. In other words, the crime isn't very random, in my opinion, and can be easily avoided.

In places like Atlanta, however, the crime doesn't appear to be as random and is spread out over a much larger area.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Why?
NY is the type of city where criminals actually locate to ply their trade. It is not an accident if you have a crime committed against you they are there for that sole purpose. I would put Miami in that same class, criminals migrate there to do business. Regardless of numbers, Tallahassee is not that kind of city.

I doubt many Professional, thieves or strong arm men go to Tallahassee because they think they will come across a ton of victims with pockets full of cash and jewels. There is no feeling in Tallahassee you are ever in any danger in your general day to day activities. In NY you feel unsafe in every situation, be it walking down a street, shopping in a store or having your hotel room burglarized the moment you leave because you look like you have something. You never have a sense of well being in NY city.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,147,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Anecdotal evidence can be used on either side, but I'll explain it this way -- as far as TLH crime is concerened, if you're not trying to buy drugs on the "bad side" of town, if you don't leave shopping bags in full view in the back seat of your car at the mall, if you don't stumble out of a bar at 2:00 AM and decide to take a short cut through the 'hood ... you will be extremely safe in TLH. In other words, the crime isn't very random, in my opinion, and can be easily avoided.
This. The crime in Tallahassee is very much isolated in certain areas.

On most of the north side, non-petty crime is practically absent.

It's nothing to be proud of, necessarily, but there's a world of difference between Bannerman Road and Orange Avenue...

Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,195,524 times
Quote:
NY is the type of city where criminals actually locate to ply their trade. It is not an accident if you have a crime committed against you they are there for that sole purpose. I would put Miami in that same class, criminals migrate there to do business. Regardless of numbers, Tallahassee is not that kind of city.

I doubt many Professional, thieves or strong arm men go to Tallahassee because they think they will come across a ton of victims with pockets full of cash and jewels. There is no feeling in Tallahassee you are ever in any danger in your general day to day activities. In NY you feel unsafe in every situation, be it walking down a street, shopping in a store or having your hotel room burglarized the moment you leave because you look like you have something. You never have a sense of well being in NY city.
I dont feel that way at all...each his own...this is 2011 not the 1970's or 80's ..even early 90's ...city is a much different place now..

Moved south 5 years ago and never felt truly safe here. There is more crime in the south than the north...the facts support it.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM

374 posts, read 1,126,385 times
Quote:
In NY you feel unsafe in every situation, be it walking down a street, shopping in a store or having your hotel room burglarized the moment you leave because you look like you have something. You never have a sense of well being in NY city.
I have to disagree with this statement being that I just recently took a trip to NYC a few months ago and I am headed back later this month. New York in general yes its still an unsafe place, but when I was in Manhattan I felt safe in every way during my trip there. Since Sept 11, New York has actually become alot safer due to the amount of anti-terrorism security and NYPD presence on the island. Now I cannot speak for the other boroughs, but the tourist parts of NYC is alot safer now than before 9/11.

On another note I am concerned with Tallahassee being rated 8th most dangerous in the country. I've never been to Tallahasse before and my mother has just expressed interest in checking out the area to relocate to. She's looking for a place in Florida she can find a good government job and retire in a few years. She's looking for somewhere safe with great shopping and a nice pet friendly condo with a park close by. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to send me a message. Thank You.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
I have to disagree with this statement being that I just recently took a trip to NYC a few months ago and I am headed back later this month. New York in general yes its still an unsafe place, but when I was in Manhattan I felt safe in every way during my trip there. Since Sept 11, New York has actually become alot safer due to the amount of anti-terrorism security and NYPD presence on the island. Now I cannot speak for the other boroughs, but the tourist parts of NYC is alot safer now than before 9/11.

On another note I am concerned with Tallahassee being rated 8th most dangerous in the country. I've never been to Tallahasse before and my mother has just expressed interest in checking out the area to relocate to. She's looking for a place in Florida she can find a good government job and retire in a few years. She's looking for somewhere safe with great shopping and a nice pet friendly condo with a park close by. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to send me a message. Thank You.
My brother in law moved to Tallahassee some years ago because of his job. (you would recognize his name). He was from NY and like a character from Seinfeld; he thought he would hate it. Well fast forward and he doesn't see himself living anywhere else now. He loves it and I think I can even hear a little southern accent.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:30 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,131,938 times
Even I can agree that Tallahassee shouldn't be #8 because for one, a high crime ranking would steer families and other residents away. I've never read of any serious crime taking place in Tallahassee, at least not to the level of Central and South FL. People from Central and South FL move up to Tallahassee for the peaceful environment it has. This study is seriously flawed. If anything, I'm willing to wager that if the study is true, then it's because the ghetto element from Central and South FL moving up there and bringing that ghetto mindset with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee