U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:19 AM

8 posts, read 20,370 times

Advertisements

Our family will be relocating to Tallahassee in the near future. We have two small children (6 and 3), so we are looking for an area that is family oriented, has a low crime rate and good schools. We will probably rent first, but we would then be looking for an area where we can buy a 3 or 4 bedroom home for around 200,000. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:18 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,896,937 times
My usual response to this question is to look on the north side of town where the better schools are generally located. Given the home value declines in recent years, a 3/4 bedroom house for $200k shouldn't be a problem in some of the northside neighborhoods.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,508,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklook View Post
Our family will be relocating to Tallahassee in the near future. We have two small children (6 and 3), so we are looking for an area that is family oriented, has a low crime rate and good schools. We will probably rent first, but we would then be looking for an area where we can buy a 3 or 4 bedroom home for around 200,000. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Tallahassee is like a round analog clock.

You'll want to be between 11 and 4, more or less.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 AM

79 posts, read 177,114 times
I have no connection to the real estate business but always enjoy the analyses from Joe Manausa found in our local newspaper and posted at this site:

Tallahassee Real Estate Market Report

Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 PM

2,830 posts, read 3,912,327 times
The northeast quadrant generally has the best schools. Southwood community is in the southeast quadrant, and I'm told the elementary school is good, but not the middle or high schools for that area.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 AM

We were in your same circumstance and chose to move to Killearn Lakes back in 1994. Excellent elementary, middle and high schools close by, fairly new fire station and branch library, good grocery shopping, have never had a crime issue except for a knocked over mailbox. On the other hand, I hate driving downtown to work - only 30 minutes but still a pain.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 AM

I was curious about Southwood, as this was the area my husband was told to look into. Anyone else live here?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 PM

7,887 posts, read 9,508,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklook View Post
I was curious about Southwood, as this was the area my husband was told to look into. Anyone else live here?
I don't live there but lots of my friends do, and they like it.

It's new, it's shiny, it's well planned out, it's close to all the amenties of Apalachee Parkway.

BUT

The lots tend to be pretty small, so there's little privacy in most of its neighborhoods.

I agree with what others have said about the schools. The elementary school situation is pretty good. After that, you will wish you lived in NE Tallahassee instead.

Southwood itself is fairly clean and safe, but it borders on parts of south Tallahassee that produce the majority of the crime in the city and are not very nice.

If you have kids, I would look to the northeast side (although traffic is a b***h on Thomasville Road) and have Southwood as a Plan B.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 AM

If you get interested in Southwood be sure to check out Homeowner Fees / Community Development District Fees.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Thank you so much! Our plan is to rent in Southwood and then decide where we want to buy from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee