U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 AM

313 posts, read 675,275 times

Advertisements

Hello folks I'm new to this forum and could not find a topic on moving from Miami to Tallahassee so please forgive me if I ask this advice from you.

We plan to move somewhere from Miami in about 5 years and are presently search for the best location for us. I have a few requirements that I would like to run by you. Please be candid I will not be insulted.

1) Tolerance towards non-christians? (Jewish and Buddhist)
2) Rush hour traffic less than 1 hour commute.
3) Ability to purchase a 3 bedroom house for less than $300,000.
4) Utility bills lower than $200 a month.
5) Job market for people over 40 years of age.
6) Tolerence for foreign born nationals (a Cuban and an Israeli)

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Joe
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 01:17 PM

2,832 posts, read 3,923,328 times
As an escapee from Miami myself (15 years ago), I'm happy to fill you in on what you might expect to find in Tallahassee.

1. Although Tallahassee is overwhelmingly Christian, and everyone's basic assumption seems to be that everyone is Christian, I have found zero difficulty feeling welcome and accepted as a Jew here. The Jewish community is not large, and you won't find kosher food here or NY-style delis, if that's what you're looking for. But you will not be persecuted for not being a Christian. Just be prepared to be wished a Merry Christmas a lot. I just say, "Same to you!" And to the people who ask if I'm ready for Christmas yet, my stock reply is, "I'm as ready as I'm going to be."

There is a very strong church influence up here, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. People are more polite and much friendlier here, and I feel MUCH safer here than I did in Dade County.

2. Rush hour traffic less than one hour? Boy, are you in for a happy surprise! Depending on where you live in relation to your workplace, your rush hour commute will seldom be more than 25 minutes -- unless you live waaaaaay out of town, of course. When I lived in Miami, my commute was often an hour and a half each way on I-95, and when I moved up here and people complained about the traffic, I thought, "You have no idea what you're talking about." Rush hour is annoyingly slow because the traffic lights never seem to be synchronized, but there's none of that awful stop and go that I experienced daily in Miami.

3. You can definitely buy a nice 3-bedroom house in a nice neighborhood for under $300,000. Depending on what you're looking for, you can find a nice house for under $200,000. You might want to rent when you first move here, especially if you don't have a job here waiting for you, and you can take your time and look around for a place to buy.

4. I live with my husband in a 1500 square foot one-story townhouse, built 5 years ago, and our utility bill (which includes electric, gas, water, and sewer) is under $200 in the winter, but closer to $250 in the summer. It gets hotter here than it does in Miami, and there's none of that nice ocean breeze.

5. Job market -- this may be the problem area. Most people in Tallahassee work for the state or one of the universities/community college, and those employers are reducing in size right and left. Depending on your marketable skills, it may take a while to find employment. I haven't looked for a job lately (I'm retired from the state) so I don't really know how bad it is, but I hear a lot of people complaining.

6. Tolerance for foreign born nationals -- with the universities and the state government, Tallahassee is a pretty liberal place. It's the only blue county in north Florida, as far as I know. Unless you're really belligerent or obnoxious no one will care one way or the other.

You will probably be happy with the cost of insurance up here compared to down there. We found that both our homeowners and our auto insurance is about half what it was in Dade County. The only things we miss from living in Miami are the balmy nights and the great variety of restaurants.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 PM
TD*

1,628 posts, read 3,595,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
Hello folks I'm new to this forum and could not find a topic on moving from Miami to Tallahassee so please forgive me if I ask this advice from you.

We plan to move somewhere from Miami in about 5 years and are presently search for the best location for us. I have a few requirements that I would like to run by you. Please be candid I will not be insulted.

1) Tolerance towards non-christians? (Jewish and Buddhist)
2) Rush hour traffic less than 1 hour commute.
3) Ability to purchase a 3 bedroom house for less than $300,000.
4) Utility bills lower than $200 a month.
5) Job market for people over 40 years of age.
6) Tolerence for foreign born nationals (a Cuban and an Israeli)

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Joe
1.There is a Buddhist center in Railroad Square here, google railroad square art park.

There are a couple of Jewish Centers as well here.

People are tolerant of other religions here.

2.Rush hour traffic is probably 30-45 minutes tops depending on where you live.

3.Yes, You should be able to find a house matching that description for 125-250,000

4.Utilities are notoriously high here in Tallahassee, however not to bad... I guess it hurts the worst in the Summer time running the A/C all the time..

However, being from Miami you probably run the A/C year round..

We have 3-4 months where its nice enough where you don't need to turn on the Air, so maybe it will even out.

5. Jobs are hard to come by, but it really depends on your experience.. and what field

6. People I wouldn't say aren't going to be racist or any more here than anywhere else.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,096 times
1) WellShoneMoon and TD answered this best

2) No worries here

3) You are going to be pleasantly surprised by how much house you can afford

4) Winter yes, Summer no

5) You can find work here but it will almost certainly be considerably less than what you're making in Miami

6) I'm Dominican and lived in Hialeah for a few years. I have not experienced anyone being rude to me up here. In fact, people are a lot more pleasant up here. I found that many Miami people became almost combative with me because I don't speak Spanish.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:43 PM

108 posts, read 335,483 times
We moved from Miami to tally about 2 years ago. Love Tally except for the high utility costs and the awful job market. Everything else is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee