Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 18,377 times

Advertisements

Hi -
I am a 50s single gal with keen interest in pets/horses and a hippie attitude.
I am contemplating a move to Tallahassee. I have employment lined up and housing near the commercial airport off Monroe.
Are the mosquitoes brutal? And the heat?
Is it hard to get assimilated for a new comer??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,864 times
Regarding mosquitos and the heat -- if you are already from the south or have lived in the south for a while, it's not significantly different than other places in FL or the deep south. Perhaps the duration of the humidity is a little longer, but it wouldn't be a shock to you. If you're relocating from a low-humidity or a cooler climate, then you will have an adjustment to make.

I was born in TLH, so I cannot give any insight about moving to the city and making friends. My philosophy is that it's all up to the person, not the place - if you wish to make friends, you will; if you don't, then you won't.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 PM

79 posts, read 193,034 times
In Tallahassee you will find a nice family town with a younger, well educated population. It is big enough to have good services and shopping but not too big; it is surrounded by beautiful farm country and natural areas and a fabulous coastline; it has the charm of the south but with the extra dimension of state government and two major universities; social activities tend turn inward toward town and there is a good sense of identify. If you get active in organizations and events after a while you will build up many friends. The heat can get pretty rough starting the middle of May but when the summer rains commence in June it gets better, mosquitoes not a problem except for some brief surges near wet areas. Some of the best horse country is on the east side of Leon County where you will find many small farms. If you are looking for a 'hippie' attitude (loosely construed) you will find niches - for instance the Land Co-Op, Sunrise Community and Northwest Kingdom out off Miccosukee Road, or the Grassroots Community on Old St. Augustine Road, or Indian Head Acres off of Apalachee Parkway, or Wetomka by Lake Talquin, Sopchoppy and Apalachicola down on the coast. From the sounds of your message you would love the Land Co-op (Miccosukee Land Co-op :: Communities Directory). Up on North Monroe is a good starting point, as you get acquainted with the area you can find what you are most comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee