Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 30,307 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I was just recently accepted to FSU as a graduate student and will be starting in the fall semester (as in 2 months away). I did my Undergrad degree at UF in Gainesville and am looking for a place to live in Tally. I haven't actually been to Tallahassee before, but I will be driving up this weekend to scope out some possible locations.

I'm looking for either an apartment or townhouse that is close enough to walk to campus. I have already spoken with someone at the Savannahs and that seemed like a decent location (West Carolina Street off of Woodward). Does anyone have any experience in this area, or suggest other locations? Additionally, I wanted to ask what side (or sides) of campus are recommended to live on? Any areas to avoid?

I'd appreciate any advice you could give, as I will be looking around Tally this weekend. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Gatormike, any areas around campus should be fine, however, you may wanna look into graduate dorms or some places that are a bit farther from campus to avoid all the undergrad partiers.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Okay, thanks!

One of the apartments I have been looking at is Seminole Grand, its a bit father away from campus than I had hoped but the rates are good and it looks very nice. Any idea how easy/rough the commute to campus is like from there (busses, bike, etc?)

Although I am a grad student I generally do a good job of balancing work/study with fun and partying. Is a location closer to campus recommended or something like Seminole Grand which is a bit further?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,864 times
Also be aware that the neighborhoods directly to the north of campus are sketchy, as well as some areas to the south and west of campus. Some of the areas east of downtown seem to be a good fit for grad students, although I'm not sure about the public transportation options (not close enough to walk to campus, close enough to bike if you're in decent shape and don't mind hills). I agree with TD about the party atmosphere of many of the apartment complexes located near campus - generally speaking, the farther away from campus, the more mature the residents. That also goes for rental house neighborhoods.

If you don't mind driving, the "midtown" area of TLH is a good compromise - far enough to be away from drunk 20 yr-olds, but a short drive to campus.

I can't believe I'm helping a Gator.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the help so far. After visiting Tallahassee and seeing some of the options firsthand, I have refined my search.

The closest place to campus that I liked - Campus Circle - is fully booked, so I'm looking to places a bit father away like West 10, the Evergreens at Mahan and possibly a rented condo at Tallahassee Center. Does anyone have any input on these places? I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Evergreens at Mahan is in a very nice location, although you will face the usual parking issues when you drive to campus for your classes. Everyone complains about parking on campus. You could bike to campus, but it's a pretty hilly commute.

Tallahassee Center is theoretically within walking distance to campus -- when the weather is nice -- but I wonder about parking at Tallahassee Center itself. I would imagine you park in the Kleman Plaza garage -- wonder if that's ever a problem? And I'm thinking about schlepping groceries from the parking garage up the elevator to the plaza level, across the plaza to the condo building ... Could be very inconvenient. Apart from that, I think it would be a great place to live.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,864 times
I think TLH Center would be a cool place to live - not familiar w/the other places.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 AM

66 posts, read 97,117 times
I'm working on my doctorate at FSU and live in Spanish Oaks apartments. The community is a bit far for walking to campus, but you could bike there or take the bus (there is a campus bus stop across the street from the complex). This will be my fifth year living here, and I really enjoy it. The community is rather quiet. Previous to this, I lived in an apt. near the Savannahs. It was roach kingdom and noisy. Good luck in your search!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 21,010 times
GatorMike,
I have lived in Tallahassee as a student since 2005, so I am very knowledgeable about the best places to live...Honestly most apartment complexes try to take advantage of students. You should read the reviews of any apartment complex before you sign a lease, and make sure you look at the actual apartment that you will be living in. The BEST neighborhoods in Tallahassee for grad students are the midtown and east downtown areas. I would say anything east of Gadsden, north of Gaines, and South of Tharpe would be ideal. As an undergrad, I lived in Heritage Park, and then later I lived in Georgetown apartments. These are probably some of the best managed apartment complexes in Tallahassee. The company is called Southgroup Inc., and they also manage Spanish Oaks(the apartment complex mentioned by the poster above). Seriously...great management, great maintenance, but for me the locations were not the greatest. Currently, I live off of Meridian St near Tennessee, and I love it. It's quiet, close to campus(about a 15 minute walk), and it's close to all the midtown bars. Many of the residencies are older and full of character, which makes them cheaper. I would strongly suggest staying away from Seminole Grand, west 10, or campus walk. I used to live at Seminole grand, and it was literally a nightmare. The problem with a lot of places in Tallahassee is that because they are full of students, they are an easy target for robberies and potential criminal activity. Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck in your search.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 21,010 times
Also...Parking on campus is a nightmare, but if you come before 9:00am, there is always parking at the St. Augustine or Copeland garages...you may have to walk across campus but at least you found parking. You can also street park off of Woodward on some of the side roads. Honestly, I've had classes that start at various times of day, and I've never had trouble finding parking, you just have to get a little creative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee