Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 14,343 times

Advertisements

Hey !

I've been to Tally before a cpl of times years ago and loved the scenery and feel of the fsu campus but I don't know much about the specific areas of the city and surrounding areas. What are the nicest, newest apartments that are in a safe and pretty area that are in the 800-900 range? I am 26 and would prefer an area with alumni, young professionals or families rather than loud 18 yr olds Anything within 15 min of campus/downtown ? I heard that north Tallahassee is safer..that is a big issue since I'd be living alone.

I saw that they are getting that new "College Town" and Bass Pro Shops, but are there any other town center type places with any better shopping/bars than the Governers Mall ?

Also, does anyone know if anywhere offers adult cheerleading that's not affiliated with FSU, or recommend a good dance studio that offers adult hip hop/jazz type classes ? I haven't really found anything in online searches.

What is the best nearby beach to go to and are there any springs right near town that are fun to go to ? I don't mind college students partying as long as it's not where I sleep

Are there any organic hair salons or spas that anyone knows of ? Or even restaurants ?

Id love to hear of some best kept secret type places I should check out as far as bars and anything to see or do or any random advice for students..

And what areas and specific roads should I avoid that are high crime ?

Any good non-denominational Assembly of God type churches with lots of 20's and 30's ppl who aren't extremely conservative about things ?

Guess that's everything Thx !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,172 times
Welcome to Tallahassee, im sure you will like it here.

As far as your credentials, and what you are looking for, look at the midtown area for apartments or rentals.. The nice areas of town are North Tallahassee, East Tallahassee and Midtown...

West of Tallahassee is the Redneck/Student side of town.

and the South side of Tallahassee is mainly the African American community. (Nothing wrong with that, but typically less multifamily housing, and more single family housing.

If you dont mind a 15-20 minute ride into campus the Southwood area is very nice.

Check out Alexan Southwood, The Verandas, and there are more apartments inside of Southwood proper.

There are some nice complexes scattered along St. Augustine and blair stone rd as well.

Another Road to look at is Park Avenue, lots of nice housing.

If you dont mind a longer drive, there are some nice places north of town in the Killearn area.

There is a nice cluster of bars/shopping in Midtown I think you will enjoy. Also the Market District has some things as well.

There are nearby springs to go to, the Most famous is Wakulla Springs, you have to check it out, its great! There are smaller ones that you can swim in also, you just have to search for them.

As far as healthy food, we have some, (Soulveg.) (wild greens) (sweet pea cafe)

We are getting a Trader Joes, and a Whole Foods Market next year, and we already have a EarthFare, The Fresh Market, New Leaf Market Co-op, etc.. So you have plenty of healthy food options.

I answered, what I could from above, as i cant reccomend a dance or cheerleading place, or yoga, or hair salon.

First Friday is really fun, its 1 day a month on the first friday of the month in the railroad square arts park, people open their galleries and you can browse/eat hear music.

The closest beach is Alligator Point, or Bald Point State Park. (they are located at the same place) Its about a 45 minute drive maybe an hour tops. Its very nice, lots of sand, non developed for the most part.

The next closest nice beach is 1.5 hours at St George Island, Its really nice also, has a couple restaurants, a bank and a couple of shops, so it has small development.

Next closest is Panama City (Which is your super overdeveloped beach town) High rise condos fronting the beach with amusement rides and stuff everywhere... If thats your cup of tea, its 2.5 hours. Although the water is prettier there as its an emerald green/Blue.

Next closest beaches are Destin/Ft Waltin Pensacola (3 hours)

and Jacksonville Beach/St augustine (3 hours)

Anyways. Hope you got some info from my post.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Thank you for taking the time to answer TD ! That was very helpful

Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Anyone else ? Would love to hear more !

Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,027 times
Thanks for that post TD

Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM
TD*

no problem yall. anything else specifically I can answer besides hair salon?

Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 AM
TD*

Advice for students: First week of classes show up over an hour early so you can park.

Advice for students: Show up 30 minutes prior to class every day so you can park (unless you want to park a mile away)

It gets and stays way hotter and humid here than anyone could imagine in the summer.. Keep lots of shorts handy.

We have 4 seasons, and a pretty cold winter for florida.. Dont forget jackets and coats!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 AM
TD*

If you like Pizza you have to go to these places: Momo's Slices as big as your head. and Barnabys Pizza, classic local places.

If you like asian food, go to Masa, its excellent, honorable mention for a small buffet is (Bamboo house)

Mexican place (El Patrons) (better food than the local favorite El Jaliscos)

Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM

Awesome, thx ! I was born and raised in Southwest FL so im used to the humidity.. but i am definitely looking forward to four seasons I look forward to the Mexican food.. there is a surprising lack of it where I live ! Another thing I just thought of.. tailgating. Can you bring alcohol in the actual stadium parking lot? How early do u need to get there prior to the game to find a spot? Any advice on that, I'm a huge seminole football fan. Are most of the bars on Tennessee st on the west side right near campus or is it more central or east on that street? I'm also kinda trying to figure out where the more potentially dangerous areas on the south side end and the nicer southeast area begins. Is there a particular road where it starts to change? I also love a lot of outdoorsy stuff as well. What are the most scenic drives/areas? I've heard Thomasville rd is pretty. Are there some historic neighborhoods with beautiful Victorian homes worth seeing? My questions are endless

Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
TD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahlane86 View Post
Awesome, thx ! I was born and raised in Southwest FL so im used to the humidity.. but i am definitely looking forward to four seasons I look forward to the Mexican food.. there is a surprising lack of it where I live ! Another thing I just thought of.. tailgating. Can you bring alcohol in the actual stadium parking lot? How early do u need to get there prior to the game to find a spot? Any advice on that, I'm a huge seminole football fan. Are most of the bars on Tennessee st on the west side right near campus or is it more central or east on that street? I'm also kinda trying to figure out where the more potentially dangerous areas on the south side end and the nicer southeast area begins. Is there a particular road where it starts to change? I also love a lot of outdoorsy stuff as well. What are the most scenic drives/areas? I've heard Thomasville rd is pretty. Are there some historic neighborhoods with beautiful Victorian homes worth seeing? My questions are endless
yes on game day alcohol in public is kind of a given cops dont care.

bars are all over some on Tennessee some on college a lot in midtown

game day you want to arrive several hours early make the day of it to find a spot

dangerous areas south Monroe from orange ave to capital. circle

woodville community is safe

so is south wood

all 5 canopy roads in tally are scenic drives meridian centerville miccosukkee st Augustine and old Bainbridge

Thomasville and Monticello small towns in the area have nice downtown houses.

Tallahassee neighborhoods worth checking out are myers park los Robles old town and betton hills

I am on my phone so I replied to as much as possible from here

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee