Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,166 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving from Ocala to Tallahassee. Can someone tell me what the job market is like? Thank-you

Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
The job market depends on what industry you are looking for. Its not terrible.

What are you looking for?

Its a much nicer city, thats for sure.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM

29 posts, read 49,065 times
Like everywhere it depends, but I hear it's tough. There's a ton of competition for just about every industry. Most jobs are government jobs and various budget cuts have made those even harder to get. I've been here for about a decade and never had a problem getting a job though; be sure you are prepared and take advantage of every opportunity. Join some clubs, get to know some people because connections help a lot. There are jobs here, just too many people competing for every one of them.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 11,680 times
My wife has a Masters Degree in Human Resources and is working part time at Panera for $10 an hour here in Tallahassee. This city is so grossly about who you know, and not what you know, that outsiders will have a terrible time finding even an entry level position. Nepotism is your friend in this corrupt little liberal patch of hell known as our state capitol. Bribes, kickbacks, and extortion via our local government are par for the course. Just ask Mayor Marks and our recently re-elected Scott Maddox.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:46 PM
TD*

Dont listen to negative posts like Phileo, there are always people who whine and cry just because of their own situation, but in reality, it all depends on what industry you are in.

The city is great place to live, and yes every city could always be better in some way, or have more jobs.

Phileos wife might meet someone great soon and in a few years she could be in a different job situation, everyone has to bide their time, then it pays off.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM

729 posts, read 1,300,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileo View Post
My wife has a Masters Degree in Human Resources and is working part time at Panera for $10 an hour here in Tallahassee. This city is so grossly about who you know, and not what you know, that outsiders will have a terrible time finding even an entry level position. Nepotism is your friend in this corrupt little liberal patch of hell known as our state capitol. Bribes, kickbacks, and extortion via our local government are par for the course. Just ask Mayor Marks and our recently re-elected Scott Maddox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Dont listen to negative posts like Phileo, there are always people who whine and cry just because of their own situation, but in reality, it all depends on what industry you are in.

The city is great place to live, and yes every city could always be better in some way, or have more jobs.

Phileos wife might meet someone great soon and in a few years she could be in a different job situation, everyone has to bide their time, then it pays off.
Phileo,

Regarding the "who you know" part of state government, I completely concur. It's like dealing with high school cliques all over again. I experienced this while I was still in undergrad many years ago. The really messy part of it all is even though Tallahassee has medium-sized population, the clique of state government employees that intermingle (whether socially or professionally) is so intertwined that you're bound to meet people, that know people, that know people, that know people (good and bad). Whenever your wife gets her foot in the door (state government), be sure to stress upon her that no matter what, don't burn your bridges. You'd be surprised how many faces come full circle around here.

Also, as TD pointed out, it really depends on the industry in which you're in. Your wife is in HR (as is mine) so if you all are going to stay here, she's really going to have to grind it out just to get in the door, gain working experience and when the time is right, probably go to another agency to move up (pay & experience). HR jobs in Tally (at least for the state) are hard to come by and she may come out better looking at the federal level.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:59 AM
TD*

Phileo, you need to lay off the forums man. Your just spewing negative thoughts cause ur life isnt going perfect. Get up and make a change and stop complaining. Move please, we dont want you here.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM

174 posts, read 258,481 times
When I lived their 2 years ago it was poor. Most jobs were looking to hire college students if they had any openings at all. It took me a year to find a job and that was at a local corner store being a cashier.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 PM
TD*

The economy is based around state government/healthcare, education.

That being said there are other industries here like any other place.

I don't think its a great time anywhere in the USA for jobs.

But definatley have a job in hand or move to a place that offers you a job.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Default Not very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmommy22 View Post
When I lived their 2 years ago it was poor. Most jobs were looking to hire college students if they had any openings at all. It took me a year to find a job and that was at a local corner store being a cashier.
The job situation here is not good. Lots of unemployment. Tally relies on govt. jobs and this new governor has cut jobs everywhere. There's not much else.

The really bad part about Tally is that it is isolated. It's in the middle of nowhere. The closest big city is Jacksonville, and that's a 3-hour drive, so you can't even commute.

There are fast food joints looking tho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee