U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 18,358 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have a son who will be attending TCC and I have noticed most of the threads on here regarding student housing pertain to FSU. My husband and I are FSU grads from way, way back in day and we have visited Tally pretty regularly over the years but we tend to stay in the NE and FSU parts of town. I realize TCC isn't very far from FSU but my son wants to be close to TCC, even within walking distance if possible. I want to know about the area in general, is it safe? This isn't a black/white issue so please don't go there. We will be looking for a furnished apartment that rents by the room and has a roommate matching service since he won't know anyone. He would like to be able to walk to class but if he needs to be further away to avoid the likelyhood of burglary/robbery/assault etc. then he will have a vehicle to do so. My memory of the TCC area isn't perfect but I don't recall it being a shady area at all. If you have any input or advice we would surely appreciate it. Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,454,227 times
There are some apartments right on appleyard in front of the school where he could stay and just walk across the street to campus...

There are quite a few complexes off Mission Road nearby, and a few off of Tennessee street.

I dont know names, but these areas are the best if he wants to be close.

Strangely enough I feel like their isnt much built around TCC... Perhaps some new apartments could take shape in the next 5-10 years.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM
TD*

The area is not the best side of town for sure..

In Tally the best areas are North and East Tallahassee, Midtown, and then Southwood.

It might be worth it to check into some places a little further from TCC Campus, just because there isn't a lot around campus directly, and its not a great part of town.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 PM
TD*

smurph. I think your son will be fine in the area though.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM

Thanks TD! He seems to be receptive to living a little further from campus, closer to FSU. We have heard from multiple sources that the TCC area is not very safe or desirable place to live. I hear it is fine during the day, for going to classes and stuff, but can get sketchy at night. We are looking at Boardwalk at Apppleyard, Campus Circle and Villa Lucia so far. Any feedback or recommendations would be most welcome!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM
TD*

All of those places are fine, but they will be very expensive since they are new..

I reccomend you try to check out some older properties to save some money on rent. Perhaps he could find a room in a house with some people.

Check Craigslist.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM

48 posts, read 117,868 times
I think that the Boardwalk on Appleyard is the one that is right across from TCC and it the suite type complex that rents by the room. That area is not that bad and is actually probably better than the area directly around FSU.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 PM
TD*

Im not a fan of the big student complexes.... But if thats your thing, have at it,.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM

We just got back from Tally and I am pleased to report that we found a great apartment very close to TCC called West 10. It is a student complex that rents by the room, is gated, and does not appear to be in a bad part of town. I feel very comfortable having my son live there. TCC had a pretty nice campus and did not at all feel like a community college. The administrative staff were friendly and helpful and we were able to get everything we needed to get done in one day. Overall we were very pleased with Tallahassee, the school, and the location was not that bad at all. We ate at Bagel Bagel, Bonefish,toured the trophy room at FSU, walked all over TCC and FSU, drove up Thomasville Rd, Micosukee Rd, and Appalachee Parkway trying to get a feel for the city. Tallahassee has a great mixture of Old South and Gulf Coast ambiance. I look forward to returning to Tally next month!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 AM
TD*

Cool Smurf glad u liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee