U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM

7 posts, read 20,658 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a FL native, born in St. Petersburg, FL in 1987; however, my family was relocated to Miami in 2002. From what I remember, St. Pete is very conservative, strict, and closeted. I also went to a Catholic school there, which probably didn't help my views. Anyways, I moved to Massachusetts, where I met my Fiancée 5 years ago. I can't deal with the cold anymore. Winters can be brutal, and I’ve yet to master the art of driving in snow/ice. I DO NOT want to live in SoFL at ALL. I am WELL aware of Wilton Manors, and SoBe, (I lived on 18th & Washington for many years). I am looking for a nice, quiet neighborhood to spend the rest of my life with the man I love. My family is scattered all around FL, and I feel like Tallahassee or St. Pete would be a good place to settle down. I am somewhat aware that St. Pete has converted into a more gay friendly place to live, however, I think my fiancée would adapt better if we lived further north, where it doesn't get as hot, and he can see (some form of) change in seasons in areas like GA, SC, etc. Like I said, I mostly need info of Acceptance/tolerance within the Tallahassee community. We can afford pretty much anything, but being nomads, would rather rent for now to get a "feel" of the area. Any info is useful.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 AM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,450,927 times
I have lots of friends that are gay in Tally, and know lots of other people. It is very tolerant. You will not have a problem.

I reccomend you check out the Midtown area of Tallahassee because it is very nice! and close to bars/entertainment.

Like anyplace you will run into some people who are the exception, but seriously Its a great city, and I don't think you will have any problems.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM

2,697 posts, read 3,441,116 times
I don't have any experience to base this on, but I believe that Tallahassee is gay-friendly. I've never heard my gay friends here complaining about any perceived intolerance.

What you won't like, however, is the heat. You mention that your fiance would adapt better if you lived further north than SoFla, "where it doesn't get as hot." I have to tell you that it gets hotter in Tallahassee than it does in South Florida. Usual summer high temps exceed 100 degrees and can stay there for weeks on end. It's brutal.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 AM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,450,927 times
But, on the flip side, we do get a hint of 4 seasons, and in south florida, the unrelenting heat takes a toll on you.

We get a spring/fall and a winter!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 PM

2,697 posts, read 3,441,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
But, on the flip side, we do get a hint of 4 seasons, and in south florida, the unrelenting heat takes a toll on you.

We get a spring/fall and a winter!
I think we get 3.5 seasons: fall just seems to be the ten minutes between summer and winter. The winter can be very cold, and the spring is gorgeous.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 8,998 times
Way back in the day when I was in law school at FSU, there were two gay clubs in town. One, Brothers, was essentially always gay. And CPA, Club Park Avenue, had a gay night, or two. This was in the '98-2001 timeframe.

I wouldn't say that the absence or presence of gay bars/clubs would be the be-all statement on tolerance, but I understand that Brothers has closed and I haven't heard of CPA in years.

Is there any sort of LGBT social scene in Tallahassee these days?? That may begin to help answer the question.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,514 times
Default New gay Bar

The new bar which is gay is gay on Friday is club 926. Is where Brother's used to be.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:03 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,160,531 times
Tallahassee is a college town and lots of state Government employees. It is more "Southern" than St Pete or South Florida, so if you or your fiancee think someone with a Southern accent genetically programmed to be a bigot or homophobic consider elsewhere.

Gainesville would be similar to Tallahassee. Climate wise both are hot and humid 7 months of the year with a New England fall Dec-Feb. Inland north Florida is hotter than South Florida in the summer, but its hot and humid everywhere. As you know unlike New England, everywhere is air conditioned.

Employment can be a problem in smaller cities, unless you are in academia, state government or have connections.

St Pete would probably work, more employment opportunities. Consider Jacksonville's "gay ghetto" of Riverside/Avondale, nice neighborhood by any measure, very walkable etc. The city is overlooked by many who are more familiar with Miami, Tampa and Orlando. But as with Tallahassee and Gainesville very Southern and skews conservative

Old 03-01-2016, 12:30 AM

114 posts, read 227,169 times
As somebody who currently lives in St. Pete (but is looking at Tallahassee for grad school), I can reassure you that St. Pete is VERY LGBT friendly these days: the Pride parade here is a legitimate holiday for most people in the city, not just in the LGBT community. I'm straight myself, but even some of my friends who are conservative on every other issue seem to be pretty pro-LGBT around here (your mileage may vary, obviously). St. Pete is definitely lacking the seasons that Tallahassee has to offer, but St. Pete is on a peninsula on a peninsula, lol, so being surrounded by water makes the hot summers much more tolerable. If you're into traditional urban/city life things, I don't think you'll find a better city in Florida: downtown St. Pete is quite walkable/bike-able and is getting better all the time, there's great food from all over the world (Pinellas County has had quite the Southeast Asian migration recently, and the food is all the better for it), fantastic museums and arts scene, and you're minutes away from any sporting event you'd want to go to (the Rowdies are a super fun, second-tier soccer team in downtown, and the Tampa Bay Rays are in downtown for right now).

I'm sure plenty of people can tell you about Tallahassee's upsides, but I wanted to reassure you that I think you'd be welcome in either of these great Florida cities.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,952 times
AMEN... people do not realize how hot Tally gets, the humidity gets bad. I am a native and grew up in Tally, now I live south of Tally but the heat... I'm already looking forward to Fall and Winter!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee