U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 29,426 times

Advertisements

How typically "southern" is Tallahassee (and what does that even mean, these days)? Are kids expected to call adults ma'am and sir? Is it assumed that you'll be in church on Sunday mornings? Is the pace of life that much slower? Are race relations more strained than in other regions? Am I showing my regional prejudice by even asking these questions?

I grew up in the midwest and have spent my adult life on the west coast. I've never even BEEN to the south, apart from Disneyworld 20 years ago. We'll be moving to your lovely city this summer and I'm wondering how much culture shock I should expect.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,865,094 times
TLH is a mix of old south, new south, and non-south, and you can find a close group of friends according to your preference. The TLH before Florida growth really took off was definitely a southern town, and it still is to a degree, but it is not "southern" to the same degree as a Montgomery, Macon, or other cities of a similar size in the deep south due to the transplants from south FL and its strong university presence. The smaller towns in northern FL are still very much southern.

You will likely encounter folks who invite you to church services and such, but it's not necessary to be involved with a church group in order to have friends in TLH. The city is a mix of conservatives, moderates, and liberals, although the voting records of Leon County lean towards the Democrats.

Regarding race relations -- there are still some tensions on occasion, but that is to be expected in a town that is over 30% minority. Overall it is fine. The places in the country that have never had "strained" relations are the places with very small minority populations ... TLH and most other southern towns are well beyond the Jim Crow era and have progressed nicely since the civil rights era. It doesn't even seem to be a current issue to me, but I'm also a white dude.

There are pockets of poverty in TLH, both black and white, so that may be a shock depending on your background. The city as a whole, however, is solidly middle class. There's not much "old money" in town -- most of the rich folks are doctors, lawyers, etc. TLH is very much a govt/services/university town -- almost zero manufacturing industry. TLH is also a somewhat green town since there isn't a large manufacturing presence and it's not a transportation hub.

The biggest shock to you will likely be the weather. The summer months will be very humid, but to each his own -- I actually prefer humidity over dry air, but a 90+ degree August afternoon with high humidity can be a shock to some west-coasters.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,450,927 times
Spec, its nothing to the extremes that you think it is.

Tallahassee is growing by leaps and bounds lately, I think you will enjoy it here.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 PM

2,211 posts, read 3,034,768 times
Tallahassee, other than Atlanta, is by far the most progressive capital city in the Deep South (Clarification - I'm considering FL, GA, SC, AL, MS, and LA the Deep South for the sake of this conversation).

It has all the natural and architectural beauty that you would expect to find in the Deep South with the moss-draped oaks, massive pines, and stately old homes.

It is a Southern city at its heart, but it is also decidedly New South due to its more liberal leaning, relative to other Southern cities. That comes both from being a university town and from being the capital of an extremely culturally diverse state.

Tallahassee is uniquely 'Floridian'. It is full of transplants, like most of Florida, but the unique thing about Tallahassee is that the majority of relocated transplants come from other parts of Florida. Just like Florida is a melting pot of the US (and the Caribbean I suppose), Tallahassee is a melting pot/microcosm of Florida.

I love Tallahassee. I went to college there and lived there for a time after college. I really miss the natural beauty of the trees and hills. But, the traffic is horrible and it's growing too fast for my taste.

I don't think you will really experience culture shock as Tallahassee is a pretty open and accepting place, full of people who aren't from there.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,958,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Tallahassee, other than Atlanta, is by far the most progressive capital city in the Deep South (Clarification - I'm considering FL, GA, SC, AL, MS, and LA the Deep South for the sake of this conversation).

It has all the natural and architectural beauty that you would expect to find in the Deep South with the moss-draped oaks, massive pines, and stately old homes.

It is a Southern city at its heart, but it is also decidedly New South due to its more liberal leaning, relative to other Southern cities. That comes both from being a university town and from being the capital of an extremely culturally diverse state.

Tallahassee is uniquely 'Floridian'. It is full of transplants, like most of Florida, but the unique thing about Tallahassee is that the majority of relocated transplants come from other parts of Florida. Just like Florida is a melting pot of the US (and the Caribbean I suppose), Tallahassee is a melting pot/microcosm of Florida.

I love Tallahassee. I went to college there and lived there for a time after college. I really miss the natural beauty of the trees and hills. But, the traffic is horrible and it's growing too fast for my taste.

I don't think you will really experience culture shock as Tallahassee is a pretty open and accepting place, full of people who aren't from there.
For clarity, are we (everyone in the thread, that is) claiming that the reason Tallahassee is a "Progressive Southern Capital City" because of it being liberal politically?

I only ask because of the states you mentioned, (FL, GA, SC, AL, MS, and LA) The county in which the capital city resides, overwhelmingly voted for Obama.

As a matter of fact, when you look at "Southern Capital Cities", the following voted Democrat..

Travis County, TX (Austin)
Richland County, SC (Columbia)
East Baton Rouge County, LA (Baton Rouge)
Hinds County, MS (Jackson)
Montgomery County, AL (Montgomery)
Fulton County, GA (Atlanta)
Pulaski County, AR (Little Rock)
Davidson County, TN (Nashville)
Wake County, NC (Raleigh)
Franklin County, KY (Frankfort)

The only state capital to go blue with less than 50% of the vote was Frankfort, KY at 49.4%.

To be honest, Florida only had 4 counties north of Orange (Orlando) that went blue in 2012, those included Leon (Tallahassee), Gadsden (suburb county of Tallahassee), Jefferson, (suburb county of Tallahassee), and Alachua (Gainesville, college town)

Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 PM

2,211 posts, read 3,034,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
For clarity, are we (everyone in the thread, that is) claiming that the reason Tallahassee is a "Progressive Southern Capital City" because of it being liberal politically?

I only ask because of the states you mentioned, (FL, GA, SC, AL, MS, and LA) The county in which the capital city resides, overwhelmingly voted for Obama.

As a matter of fact, when you look at "Southern Capital Cities", the following voted Democrat..

Travis County, TX (Austin)
Richland County, SC (Columbia)
East Baton Rouge County, LA (Baton Rouge)
Hinds County, MS (Jackson)
Montgomery County, AL (Montgomery)
Fulton County, GA (Atlanta)
Pulaski County, AR (Little Rock)
Davidson County, TN (Nashville)
Wake County, NC (Raleigh)
Franklin County, KY (Frankfort)

The only state capital to go blue with less than 50% of the vote was Frankfort, KY at 49.4%.

To be honest, Florida only had 4 counties north of Orange (Orlando) that went blue in 2012, those included Leon (Tallahassee), Gadsden (suburb county of Tallahassee), Jefferson, (suburb county of Tallahassee), and Alachua (Gainesville, college town)
Being politically liberal isn't necessarily what I meant by "progressive". A lot of those counties you mentioned that went for Obama wouldn't exactly be considered "progressive". Take Montgomery, AL and Jackson, MS for instance. The reason they voted for Obama is quite frankly because those counties are majority black. It's strictly demographics.

Also, Gadsden and Jefferson counties are not "suburban". They are poor, rural counties with high black populations. They are not "progressive" by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess by calling Tallahassee "progressive", I just meant that it's kind of a free-thinking and nature-friendly type of place. The city's leadership is largely free from the stodgy, stuck in the mud, good old boy mentality. Though of course there is probably some of that, it's not nearly to the degree as the other capital cities I mentioned such as Montgomery, Jackson, Baton Rouge, and Columbia.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 38,428,033 times
Quote:
Being politically liberal isn't necessarily what I meant by "progressive". A lot of those counties you mentioned that went for Obama wouldn't exactly be considered "progressive". Take Montgomery, AL and Jackson, MS for instance. The reason they voted for Obama is quite frankly because those counties are majority black. It's strictly demographics.

Also, Gadsden and Jefferson counties are not "suburban". They are poor, rural counties with high black populations. They are not "progressive" by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess by calling Tallahassee "progressive", I just meant that it's kind of a free-thinking and nature-friendly type of place. The city's leadership is largely free from the stodgy, stuck in the mud, good old boy mentality. Though of course there is probably some of that, it's not nearly to the degree as the other capital cities I mentioned such as Montgomery, Jackson, Baton Rouge, and Columbia.
Maybe because if its 30% black, and a large college town as well, it's relatively easy to overall vote Democrat. But, there still seems to be about 30% of the city voting Republican, so that might well be close to everyone else.

Just a theory...not a fact or anything though.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,368,369 times
Well I think Mike was just saying compared to other southern metros its size Tally is little more open minded than the usual "southern city. Yes maybe that has something to do with it being a college town but it is like it or not its a pretty cool little city.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,273 times
Quote:
The city's leadership is largely free from the stodgy, stuck in the mud, good old boy mentality. Though of course there is probably some of that, it's not nearly to the degree as the other capital cities I mentioned such as Montgomery, Jackson, Baton Rouge, and Columbia.
If you think that the good ole boy mentality does not run rampant in Tallahassee you are sadly mistaken. You are voted into office not by your principles or knowledge but only if A: You are born here and as you put it a good ole boy or B: African American and you know they get votes because all other African Americans are going to vote for them because they are African American.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:14 AM

131 posts, read 119,807 times
From the Sky, Tally is a small island in the woods. It's industries are education and politics, and the service industry that supports them. There are some ranches near by, some old plantations, and a lot of lumber for paper manufacturing. Southwest in the Bayou there's more rural living, lots of folks living close to the land.
From my observations the educators and politicians live in their own planned communities removed from what would be real Florida. If you go, check out Bullwinkles Bullwinkle's Saloon | The Nations #4 College Bar and a Tallahassee Tradition Since 1979 it's a fun place, good music, and you can eat your oyster shooters at the bar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee