U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:26 PM

15 posts, read 54,889 times

Advertisements

Hello me and my wife are from Fort Walton Beach but we live in San Antonio because I'm in the military and we are both in our early 20's. I will be joining the police department after my contract is up but I'm not sure which one. My wife is going to school for physical therapy assistant so I have to think about job opportunities for her. To me they both seem evenly matched in most aspects. Btw I'd prefer it not to turn into an argument between FSU and UF fans. Looking for people to weigh in. Thanx.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 PM

567 posts, read 621,816 times
I've lived in both.
Each place has it's pros and cons.
I personally prefer Tallahassee. It has more of a 'city' vibe, while Gainesville is definitely a 'college town'.
Depends on what you are looking for.
Gainesville is more centrally located to visit other areas in FL, but Tallahassee is closer for us to visit our relatives in IL and MI.
Gainesville is much easier to navigate, their roads are on a nice, neat 'grid'.
Tallahassee has crazy circle roads (French design) that can be confusing to newcomers.
I found the climate to be very similar in both places. Chilly winters and hot, humid summers with no ocean breeze (obviously).
I could happily live in either place, but Tallahassee works better for us.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 PM

385 posts, read 1,002,680 times
Both places are nice but I prefer Gainesville because it has that nice small town/college town feel to it. Very accessible/easy to navigate.

In Gainesville you are not too far from the gulf coast beaches near Tampa such as Clearwater, St. Pete Beach, Fort De Soto or Honeymoon Island. You are even closer to the beaches around St. Augustine.

There are many beautiful springs around the Gainesville area, such as Juniper Springs in Ocala National Forest.

With Gainesville you are relatively close to both Tampa and Jacksonville, both large cities.

However the panhandle is beautiful, too. Beautiful beaches. It is possible to find hillier terrain there, too. Tallahassee might be slightly colder, but not by much.

It depends on your interests, what kind of lifestyle you want to have, really. Both are good choices.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 PM

15 posts, read 54,889 times
It does I appreciate it. The city feel isn't to big of a deal for us because we are in a city full of 1 million people so I would like a slower pace. The big thing for us is job opportunities for my wife and just overall quality of life.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM

6,714 posts, read 7,392,636 times
In my opinion it's a lose-lose situation...sorry!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 PM

567 posts, read 621,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike711 View Post
It does I appreciate it. The city feel isn't to big of a deal for us because we are in a city full of 1 million people so I would like a slower pace. The big thing for us is job opportunities for my wife and just overall quality of life.
Maybe Gainesville then. My perception is that there might be more medical opportunities there because of Shands. But I have no knowledge of what kind of physical therapy assistant opportunities would be available in Tallahassee. I'd suggest that you visit both and see how you 'feel' in each place. Also, check in to the employment situations of both places.
Honestly, they are very similar cities/towns as far as quality/cost of living.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 PM

2,183 posts, read 3,028,298 times
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. While both are college towns, Gainesville is much more so. Everything in Gainesville is dominated by and revolves around UF. Students are everywhere, unless you go to the east side (don't) or the far western areas.

Tallahassee, being the state capitol, is a much more diversified city. Though FSU and FAMU are huge forces in the city, they do not dominate everything. Tallahassee is more of a self-sustaining city, while Gainesville is totally dependent on UF.

Both cities have an abundance of outdoor activities nearby (state parks, national forests), and both are about an hour/90 minutes from the nearest beaches. Gainesville does have easier access to Florida's population centers (Jax, Orlando, Tampa Bay), but that may or may not be relevant to you.

Obviously my username gives away my partiality, but if I were just an unbiased person from another state, I have to say I'd still prefer Tallahassee.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,449,075 times
As far as jobs go, I think you will be fine in either place. Physical therapy is an extremely high demand field, especially florida. My friend just graduated from school at Univ. of Florida and got several job offers and accepted a job a week after he graduated.

Your wife will likely find work in both cities, so that is probably not the issue.

Tallahassee Is my hometown, and its a great place, but so is Gainesville.

I say visit both and then decide.

Tallahassee is a bigger city, has more culture and better shopping, but its not so huge that traffic is awful.

It is also very Hilly which is a nice change since most of florida is flat as you probably know.

Tallahassee compared to Gainesville, i would say Tallahassee is better every time.

But the choice is yours.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,025,813 times
I would personally go with Tallahassee, I was born in Gainesville! Tallahassee has more college kids than Gainesville, But if you wanted to get a way from them, and still live in the city, you could do that. It jut seems like a more professional city with more going on.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 PM

166 posts, read 245,801 times
IMO both cities suck unless you're college aged or family person. How in lords name can a single person over 35 live in either city? Gainesville for singles over 35? I'd go insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee