Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2006, 04:40 AM
 
Location: in the southwest
13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Reputation: 13599

Advertisements

I did a search and came up with a few mentions of Tallahassee but nothing major. There is a chance we may end up in this capitol city.
I have only been there three times, but I liked what I saw.
No beach, of course, but it's only about two hours away. (Maybe we could buy a lot here. )
Seems like there is a nice youthful energy with FSU there, and a lot of beautiful oak trees. Am interested in concerts and cultural activities also farmer's markets. A community swimming pool would be nice, too.
Anyone have any info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2006, 08:00 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,474 times
Reputation: 15
Thumbs up Wonderful Tallahassee

I moved to Tallahassee back in 1979 to attend school at Florida A&M University, at the time I was not impressed with the area coming from central Florida. Now I would not consider living anywhere else in Florida. Be careful when visiting the area it can quickly grow on you.

Here are a few of the things I think are good and bad about the area:

Good:
- Plenty of green space.
- Clean water
- Wonderful people
- Two great universities
- Mid sized city with big city feel.
- Decent cultural activities.
- Decent shopping (2 malls, many shopping centers)
- Abundance of job opportunities (Government, Universities, Private, Technical)
- Excellent parks and recreation facilities.
- Rolling hills
- People are very friendly.
- Close proximty to the Gulf.
- Within reasonable travel time to other major cities (Jacksonville, New Orleans, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa)
- Family friendly
- Unlike other areas of Florida Tallahassee enjoys a winter, summer, and fall. (Spring is a sight to behold, Winter can sometimes include snow flurries, and Summer can be very hot)
- Wonderful neighborhoods.
- Excellent private and public schools.
-

Bad:
- Traffic can be terrible during morning and afternoon rush hour.
- Under constant construction to address traffic problems. (Things are getting better)
- Community is very concerned with development and environmental issues. (Obsessed)
- Cost of living is a little higher than some other areas of the state.

Overall - Tallahasse is a wonderful community and I enjoy living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2008, 07:19 AM
 
7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Reputation: 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I did a search and came up with a few mentions of Tallahassee but nothing major. There is a chance we may end up in this capitol city.
I have only been there three times, but I liked what I saw.
No beach, of course, but it's only about two hours away. (Maybe we could buy a lot here. )
Seems like there is a nice youthful energy with FSU there, and a lot of beautiful oak trees. Am interested in concerts and cultural activities also farmer's markets. A community swimming pool would be nice, too.
Anyone have any info?
The beach is technically only about 35 minutes away. The GOOD beach (St. George Island) is a little more than an hour, depending on conditions.

I have lived here for 21 years - what do you want to know?

There are several farmer's markets in town. There is always a small one on Saturdays in Market Square, and except in the dead of winter there is a big art/food/crafts market downtown on Park Avenue every weekend as well. Lots of cultural festivals dot the surrounding countryside year round. A big deal every year is the Red Hills Horse Trials, coming up next month: 2008 Red Hills Horse Trials

Rock concerts are few and far between, except for college bands that roll through in small venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2008, 09:43 AM
 
Location: in the southwest
13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Reputation: 13599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
The beach is technically only about 35 minutes away. The GOOD beach (St. George Island) is a little more than an hour, depending on conditions.
heh
I've learned a lot about Tally since posting that thread over a year ago.
But we did not end up settling there. I have a son who is a freshman at FSU. He loves it.
The "good" beach is still (IMHO) not as good as the beaches at Port St Joe.
Quote:
Rock concerts are few and far between, except for college bands that roll through in small venues.
FSU did have Stephen Colbert in fall of '06, and Sarah "You Love Her Or You Hate Her" Silverman in fall of '07.
I think Tallahassee is a wonderful town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Tallahassee
10 posts, read 12,840 times
Reputation: 10
--- Tallahassee is a city where YOU MUST kiss people ass for a job no matter your educational attainment. ( possibly change their grandfathers diaper.. dont count that one out ) All state workers lives in Killern area and grandfather people into positions. Dont waste your time filling out job applications ANYWHERE ,,, not even for state employment . Example : you have a doctorate the other person has a GED .. Their brother , sister , cousin works there.. guess who get the job ... Ding Ding Ding the winner goes to a GED ! unless you family lives here, works for the state system and is professionally good at the highschool people pleaser game. I would recommend getting hired before moving any or your toes to this city. However , if you are coming for strictly an education .. go ahead .. knock yourself out! But leave after, unless you found your way into someone's social connections. Credentials and qualifications are work less than a penny in Tallahassee .

PS the state jobs and hospitals will send out hundreds of skills verifications test .. you're not special.... the job has already been given to one of there social or family members.

FYI your in the deep south HIGHLY RACIST too! Im not cultured but you will see for you self the blatant atmosphere of class racism exits. People cant control what family they are born into .. so why hold me back from employment even when i have the Credentials .. DIng DIng DIng .. not about credentials in this city. Its sectioned by income and employment here.

Good Luck in Tallanasty! ** PS pull up the demographics VIA the census .. it will provide you the support for my STATEMENTS .. just FACTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 08:22 PM
 
1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmomlivesintally View Post
--- Tallahassee is a city where YOU MUST kiss people ass for a job no matter your educational attainment. ( possibly change their grandfathers diaper.. dont count that one out ) All state workers lives in Killern area and grandfather people into positions. Dont waste your time filling out job applications ANYWHERE ,,, not even for state employment . Example : you have a doctorate the other person has a GED .. Their brother , sister , cousin works there.. guess who get the job ... Ding Ding Ding the winner goes to a GED ! unless you family lives here, works for the state system and is professionally good at the highschool people pleaser game. I would recommend getting hired before moving any or your toes to this city. However , if you are coming for strictly an education .. go ahead .. knock yourself out! But leave after, unless you found your way into someone's social connections. Credentials and qualifications are work less than a penny in Tallahassee .

PS the state jobs and hospitals will send out hundreds of skills verifications test .. you're not special.... the job has already been given to one of there social or family members.

FYI your in the deep south HIGHLY RACIST too! Im not cultured but you will see for you self the blatant atmosphere of class racism exits. People cant control what family they are born into .. so why hold me back from employment even when i have the Credentials .. DIng DIng DIng .. not about credentials in this city. Its sectioned by income and employment here.

Good Luck in Tallanasty! ** PS pull up the demographics VIA the census .. it will provide you the support for my STATEMENTS .. just FACTS
Why be a troll ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top