U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,583 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 year old female from Baltimore with no college education BUT I have 7 years of high-end professional experience, currently working at Johns Hopkins University. My Fiancee is a native Floridian who came back to Baltimore 3 years ago (to woo me into moving to the Sunshine State). My Fiancee is 28, also with no degree but has over 7 years of experience in Landscaping (has worked for large local companies as well as Brickman and Scotts corporate)
To be blunt, Baltimore sucks. I love my hometown, but for all of our positives there is a HUGE list of negatives. And I don't care what the city or anyone else says, we are on our way back to the mid 1990's in regards to the murder/crime/drug rate and its horrible. To put it in perspective, I drive by about 100 addicts every day who are waiting to get into the methadone clinic in the morning and about 100 who are nodded out from their fix in the evening. And that is part of the commute to one of the best universities, and the #1 hospital in the united states. Its just plain sad.

So we would like to get out of dodge and head south. My fiancee's father owns some land in the Monticello/Greenville area where we can stay until we get on our feet down there. I have multiple concerns, but the nice folks here on citydata have put many of them to rest. It seems that with the right attitude and resume, it shouldn't be too hard for me to get a job as an administrative assistant within FSU or FAMU. My real concerns are the following:

-DH is a landscaper and it doesn't seem like there is a job market for him at all down there. Don't you guys like a perfectly manicured landscape without all the fuss?! (I assume people are more capable to do these things than the average baltimoron)
-Homeowners insurance. Whats the deal? we are looking to move in Feb 2014 and probably buy a house somewhere within a year after that. Is the insurance situation getting better or worse? my goal is to get a house with at least 10 acres and 3-4 bedrooms. I couldn't care less if its a trailer or a actual house, but will that effect the insurance also?
-Healthcare... I currently have the best insurance money can buy through work and access to the best doctors around. I know that moving to a smaller town will limit healthcare to an extent, but should I be expecting equipment from the 1950's? I honestly want to know if it would be safer for us to have our first child up here as I have a bleeding condition. Are the hospitals better/worse than others you have been to in other cities?
-It is my plan to grow our own produce and sell/trade the excess at a farmers market along with many crafts that I make already. Is this a feasible way to make a little extra money/food in Tallahassee? or are the markets already dominated by family farms that have been around for generations? (I would LOVE to barter for meat!)

The weather I'll acclimate to, and the bugs and I will... come to an understanding. I'm not put off by the typical Florida negatives. Any advice is much appreciated! We will be moving down with ourselves, 2 dogs, 5 cats and however much we can fit into a 5X8 Uhaul trailer. We have access to the property in Greenville for as long as we need which is a huge plus. Please let me know what ya think!
Thanks
Smokie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 AM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,452,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiekitty View Post
I am a 23 year old female from Baltimore with no college education BUT I have 7 years of high-end professional experience, currently working at Johns Hopkins University. My Fiancee is a native Floridian who came back to Baltimore 3 years ago (to woo me into moving to the Sunshine State). My Fiancee is 28, also with no degree but has over 7 years of experience in Landscaping (has worked for large local companies as well as Brickman and Scotts corporate)
To be blunt, Baltimore sucks. I love my hometown, but for all of our positives there is a HUGE list of negatives. And I don't care what the city or anyone else says, we are on our way back to the mid 1990's in regards to the murder/crime/drug rate and its horrible. To put it in perspective, I drive by about 100 addicts every day who are waiting to get into the methadone clinic in the morning and about 100 who are nodded out from their fix in the evening. And that is part of the commute to one of the best universities, and the #1 hospital in the united states. Its just plain sad.

So we would like to get out of dodge and head south. My fiancee's father owns some land in the Monticello/Greenville area where we can stay until we get on our feet down there. I have multiple concerns, but the nice folks here on citydata have put many of them to rest. It seems that with the right attitude and resume, it shouldn't be too hard for me to get a job as an administrative assistant within FSU or FAMU. My real concerns are the following:

-DH is a landscaper and it doesn't seem like there is a job market for him at all down there. Don't you guys like a perfectly manicured landscape without all the fuss?! (I assume people are more capable to do these things than the average baltimoron)
-Homeowners insurance. Whats the deal? we are looking to move in Feb 2014 and probably buy a house somewhere within a year after that. Is the insurance situation getting better or worse? my goal is to get a house with at least 10 acres and 3-4 bedrooms. I couldn't care less if its a trailer or a actual house, but will that effect the insurance also?
-Healthcare... I currently have the best insurance money can buy through work and access to the best doctors around. I know that moving to a smaller town will limit healthcare to an extent, but should I be expecting equipment from the 1950's? I honestly want to know if it would be safer for us to have our first child up here as I have a bleeding condition. Are the hospitals better/worse than others you have been to in other cities?
-It is my plan to grow our own produce and sell/trade the excess at a farmers market along with many crafts that I make already. Is this a feasible way to make a little extra money/food in Tallahassee? or are the markets already dominated by family farms that have been around for generations? (I would LOVE to barter for meat!)

The weather I'll acclimate to, and the bugs and I will... come to an understanding. I'm not put off by the typical Florida negatives. Any advice is much appreciated! We will be moving down with ourselves, 2 dogs, 5 cats and however much we can fit into a 5X8 Uhaul trailer. We have access to the property in Greenville for as long as we need which is a huge plus. Please let me know what ya think!
Thanks
Smokie
You can put your fears to rest. Tallahassee is a great city and has 2 very nice hospitals with advanced equipment. Tallahassee is not a small town like you are thinking. It has plenty of shopping, retail, and sophistication.

As far as landscaping. Your husband should have no problem finding work. The city is covered with grass and trees and their are tons of landscaping companies that thrive here.

Fortunately since Tallahassee is 20 miles from the coast, insurance is not as expensive Here as you hear about in coastal towns. In fact it should not even be a concern for you.

You are in luck regarding healthcare. Tallahassee is home to Capital Health Plan one of the top HMO's in the country. Excellent insurance.

The hospitals are great with professional staff. Recently my mom spent a few days at Tallahassee Memorial and was blown away with the professional kind and caring staff. You will not have to worry about hospital care.

There is another hospital here as well capital regional medical center that is private.

You should have no problem making money on the aide at farmers markets. We have several and they are attended by many.

Greenville is a bit of a drive from Tallahassee which should be your only concern. About an hour drive one way.

Real estate is cheaper in the surrounding counties but there are plenty of rural lots in Leon county which could satisfy your want of 10 acres.

You will be pleased moving here. The people are friendly it has a strong since of community, and is backed by world class research universities.

Welcome to the capital city.

Sent from my HTC DNA using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 AM

567 posts, read 622,773 times
Listen to TD, he knows what he's talking about.
Except that Greenville is probably only 45 minutes from Tally
My husband and I lived in Tallahassee previously, and after 6 years in IL, we will be returning to north FL this fall. We purchased a beautiful home on 10 acres (with a private pond) just outside Monticello.
Can't wait to get back "home".
It really is a great place to live.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,583 times
THANK YOU both for your very reassuring replies! I am seeing properties daily on Zillow that I just fall in love with more and more. Leaving my job will be the hardest thing, and knowing that I will have plenty of opportunity there just makes me all the more anxious to move ASAP. I am also really relieved to know that the landscaping industry is doing well in that part of the state, hubby actually may have already found a company that is interested! I can not wait to take that long drive down I-95 from the frigid Baltimore weather and settle down in our little slice of paradise It really seems like Tallahassee is on the up and up, and my excitement is too much for words. Thank you very much for your replies, I have read several of the threads now on Tally and newcomers and I believe we are making the best choice for our mental health and our future.

That being said: If anyone ever stumbles upon this thread that is looking to move TO Baltimore, Do. Not. Do. It. Under no circumstances has the city 'gotten better' over the last 25 years, regardless of the communities efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee