U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 AM

30 posts, read 52,233 times

Advertisements

I've recently been in the Jacksonville area and found that the town of Yulee seems to be a nice area to buy and build, lots of land of which some have little or no restrictions. Being I'm looking to retiree in the next two years or so I also looked into the Crawfordville area, its amazing what you can learn about an area from those realestate maps. Anyway these two areas are simular with Yulee having more around it, hospitals, 1-95, and other plusses yet Crawfordville seems to have a nicer beach, more land for the $$, a little lower home costs-resale. I see at least 3 developements in Crawfordville that really looks nice as I'm looking for homes or land between 1 and 5 acres and home prices in the 180-250K range. Crime seem not to be an issue in either area and as a boater the water is also close by. Both areas seem to have the same hurricane-flooding risk, I would look for land elevations of at least 20'. The plus I see in Crawfordville is that being on the "Forgooten Coast" that as soon as the economy changes that this area will boom, could even be the next Ponte Vedra? Just wondering what you folks think, again I'm assuming money will pour into this area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,864,750 times
There will not be any money pouring into Crawfordville, and it is no way the next Ponte Vedra. The coast is a short drive from Crawfordville, but it is not on the water and the sandy beaches are still a distance away. Wakulla County is historically a very rednecky and middle to lower-middle to lower class area (not making a judgment, just trying to set expectations). You would likely be able to buy a decent-sized parcel of land in or around Crawfordville, but you should not buy it with an expectation that it will increase significantly in value over the next 10 years.

If you don't believe me, give St. Joe and other developers a call who unsuccessfully tried to develop higher-end communities that are not directly on the water in that part of FL. Southwood is an exception, but it is in Tallahassee.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Thanks, I was posting expecting there would be an explaination like yours, thanks. The distance from the nicer beaches does seem a bit too far for my likes, and many others too I'm sure. I looked up some of the 1-5 acre plots for sale, sure are cheap, but they seems to have "Issues" very close by. Unlike the Jax area where there are a lot less issues if you look at the total picture. I'll still keep an eye on the area but to be honest I started to get buyers remorse just thinking about some of the land for sale and then looking at some of the neighbors homes. Yes it will take years, might need more then ten yrs. Still it has some very good areas as far as price goes but the fact that there's no Dell Webs or Sun City's says something, as you pointed out.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,864,750 times
Crawfordville isn't bad if you're a good-ole-boy or someone who wants a few acres with privacy and a place to keep your boat. Nothing wrong with that ... but no real chance of short/mid-term appreciation if that's the motive.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM

50 posts, read 71,336 times
Crawfordville is Cracker Country-lite. You basically have two classes of people: commuters and true locals. Most of residents work jobs in Tallahassee, make decent money, and have decent educations. They are not very involved in the County, though, other than the Park systems and the schools (which are better than neighboring Leon County's schools). Life is still very much orientated towards Tallahassee. The true locals tend to be poor, work at the few local businesses in the County, and are often who come to mind when people in Tallahassee think about the area.

The main draw for new residents is lower taxes, less expensive homes, larger lots, and a more conservative political orientation. It is anti-Tallahassee for people who work in Tallahassee. Otherwise, there really is not much in Wakulla County that would attract larger scale developments. The beaches are not good, there is an actual winter season, and only a small number of services, restaurants, and retail are available in the area. It also does not help that 2/3's of the County's land is held in federal and state trust.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,058 times
BrowardNole has it about right. I am a retired USAF member and recently retired from a management job in Tallahassee. I have lived in Crawfordville for 18 years and love it. It's true we don't have all the aminities of larger city life but Tallahassee is only 20 minutes away. Crawfordville is laid back, quiet and friendly. I can go to the grocery store, bank, post office and reregister my car in less time than it would take do do one thing elseware. I have a 3 bedroom 1500 sq foot home on 1 acre and cost 25K less than Tallahassee.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:00 PM

Thanks, pretty much what I thought. Sounds like i would love it but probable not the wife. I probably would give it a good looking into before making up my mind but I think the area around Yulee would fit better as with the 4 lane highway coming from 1-95 to Amelia Island is a great plus as it already has lots of developement. I can also afford to buy an acre or two and build as I wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee