Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 4,829 times

Advertisements

my BF and I will be relocating from the north east to Tally (actually greenville) in February of next year. We are looking to settle in and buy a house/property fairly quickly and I would like some advice on that. Our goal is to have at least 10 acres of mostly workable land, hopefully a pond or something, and a house that is either a fix-er-upper OR to buy a new trailer or pre-fab home and put it on land. at first we will only be making enough money to afford payments on a 120K house, 140K pushing the limit. The one thing we do have on our side is time, as BF's family is from greenville and we have somewhere comfortable to live until we do find the right place. I will be working at FSU so our goal is to live within 45 mins of that area.

-If a place is marked as being in a FEMA flood zone: is that going to cause more headaches and insurance costs than its worth? We found a great place but its considered in a flood zone because of the small creek that runs behind it. The property itself is on Osprey Lane in Lloyd.

-About how much do things cost you, Home owners insurance (include size of house and land), Health insurance, Car Insurance, Etc..

-Is it really hard to get homeowners insurance right now?

-Is there an area that has high crime rates or areas that would not be suitable for raising kids?

-How is working for the State of FL? Since I will be working at FSU I will be a state employee

-What are the current issues in FL and Tally? Up here in Baltimore we have the murder rate and immense drug problem, what do you guys have going on down there?

I have many more questions but I don't want the post to get too cumbersome. All of your advice is appreciated!

Just so it is said: We know about the weather and critters (BF is a native Floridian)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
what type of flood zone? You need to look it up at the floodsmart site as it goes by address. Each address has a different elevation.

Full Flood Insurance ranges and starts at $500 a year.

No requirement to have it if no mortgage or no house on property.

Floodsmart | Policy Rates | Flood Risk | Flood Insurance

Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
Tallahassee is a great city, working for FSU and the State has great benefits.

Welcome to one of the best cities around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: