U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 AM

442 posts, read 433,378 times

Advertisements

There might be a job opening for me at our branch in T'hassee. We are ready to get out of Minnesota for a while, so it's a serious consideration.

The office looks like it is on the far southeast edge of the city - off of Apalachee Parkway and 319 or thereabouts? Ideally, I would love to live close to work - I do not drive so within biking, walking, or public transportation distance would be great.

Any good neighborhoods over in that vicinity? We would rent. I have 2 kids - elementary age. I would like a decent school district, as well.

Any info you can provide would be great. I might have asked this info at another time but some years have passed, and this option is more of a reality then it has been in the past.

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 01:43 PM

2,831 posts, read 3,918,083 times
Living without a car in Tallahassee, especially working where you'll be working, is not easy. The bus system is, I would say, mediocre at best -- infrequent service being my biggest complaint.

If you're going to be working at or near the intersection of Capital Circle (319) and Apalachee Parkway, and you don't have a car, I would suggest looking for a place to live in the Southwood area. There is one bus line that runs from Southwood up Capital Circle to the Parkway. The elementary school for Southwood is very good, middle and high schools not so much. There is a Publix supermarket within easy biking distance to Southwood, but you would not want to walk or ride a bicycle from Southwood to the location of your office.

Check out the bus maps at http://www.talgov.com/Uploads/Public.../rideguide.pdf

Old 12-25-2013, 06:00 AM

533 posts, read 1,027,121 times
I second the Southwood area. And the fact that living in Tallahassee and relying on public transportation will be tough.

BUT, the cost of living is low (compared to other cities in FL) and finding places to rent will be easy. Also because of the student population it seems like people are always looking for renters/subleasers. Who knows, maybe the tax break you'll get from living in FL will allow you some time to save up for a car. I just saw a guy the other day selling his 2008 Civic in great condition for $3000.

Tallahassee, like most FL cities (besides Miami), is a lot of suburban sprawl (I don't mean that in a negative way). Places are very spread out for the most part (except around downtown/the FSU campus).

Old 12-26-2013, 05:45 PM

Thanks! We will definitely have a car - it's just that I don't drive. My husband does, though, and I would have the carpool option with that. Southwood is where I was looking - there seems to be some really nice apartments in that area - and the rent is astoundingly cheap (compared to here) for the amenities provided! I was very impressed. The apartments I found, are actually right across the street from the office building I would be working in - major score

Can you guys tell me about crime, things to do, traffic, general cost of living, etc. in that area? And...critters?? How do I keep them out, where does one typically encounter them (will I have to watch my step, etc). In MN - no need to be on the look out for poisonous spiders, poisonous snakes, alligators, or fire ants, etc. Thanks!!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:11 PM
TD*

1,628 posts, read 3,594,098 times
dont worry about critters, just chill.
Tally is the best.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
Thanks! We will definitely have a car - it's just that I don't drive. My husband does, though, and I would have the carpool option with that. Southwood is where I was looking - there seems to be some really nice apartments in that area - and the rent is astoundingly cheap (compared to here) for the amenities provided! I was very impressed. The apartments I found, are actually right across the street from the office building I would be working in - major score

Can you guys tell me about crime, things to do, traffic, general cost of living, etc. in that area? And...critters?? How do I keep them out, where does one typically encounter them (will I have to watch my step, etc). In MN - no need to be on the look out for poisonous spiders, poisonous snakes, alligators, or fire ants, etc. Thanks!!
Crime: it's worse around the college campuses (FSU, FAMU) and it's usually "smaller" crimes like theft. Avoid Frenchtown (near downtown/FSU's campus).

Things to do: there's a lot of random stuff to do in town, go to football games on the weekend, Alligator point is only about 45 minutes south, Tallahassee has great restaurants (go to Kool Beanz and Angelette's)... I like Tallahassee because it's the perfectly sized city for me, it's big enough to have a
decent mall and a things to do, but it's not overwhelming. n the summertime, go to Bear Paw in Marianna, FL.

I like that it's close enough to other places so that I can take weekend trips: Savannah, GA, Thomasville, GA, Gulf Shores, AL, Pensacola, Destin, Atlanta, GA, Orlando, FL, <-- all of those are within about 4ish hours driving distance. And Miami and Nashville are both only 8 hours away.

Cost of living:
low. I knew people (though they were young, single, no kids) who lived here off $800/month. They weren't living in luxury, but they could afford rent + utilities, food, drinking with friends, and gas for their car.

Critters: you'll have "critters" no matter where you live, especially in apartments. But most apartments/rental units have an exterminator clean out the place before you move in. I never really had a problem with critters in all my time in Tallahassee other than a typical cockroach or spider show up like once a year.

Alligators aren't that big of a problem in North Florida, I go to Bear Paw all the time in the summer and haven't seen an Alligator there either. I lived in Tallahassee for college (4 years) and moved back this year and never had to worry about poisonous snakes/spiders - when you live on rental property, most places regularly have pest control come by and spray for those types of things.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:10 AM

2,831 posts, read 3,918,083 times
I agree with everything ggumbo said, except the part about alligators. I don't want to frighten you but alligators are indeed common in North Florida. You won't see them walking around on the streets, or anything, they hang out in and near bodies of water, like lakes, rivers (take the river boat tour at Wakulla Springs and you'll see alligators all over the place), and canals. Once in a while a gator will even emerge from a water hazard on a golf course!

The safest thing to do is to assume that any body of water larger than a rain puddle has at least one alligator living in it. Keep your dogs and your small children (and yourself, for that matter) away from lake shores unless it's a clearly marked swimming area. People swim all the time at Wakulla Springs, with alligators very obviously nearby, but the gators, I am told, never bother the swimmers.

As for the other critters, I've lived in Tallahassee for 17 years, and in all that time I've seen two small snakes (non poisonous) and zero poisonous spiders. Lots of lizards, but they are not harmful -- in fact, they eat the bugs you'd rather not have around. I have an exterminator service every six weeks (outside only), and once in a while a random cockroach will somehow find its way into the house, but no big problems. As for fire ants, watch where you walk outside and don't step on obvious ant hills.

Living in Florida, if you've only lived up north all your life, does take some getting used to. I'm not trying to discourage you from moving here -- Tallahassee is a great place to live -- but don't expect life here to be the same as it is up north. For one thing, you'll never have to shovel snow again!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I agree with everything ggumbo said, except the part about alligators. I don't want to frighten you but alligators are indeed common in North Florida. You won't see them walking around on the streets, or anything, they hang out in and near bodies of water, like lakes, rivers (take the river boat tour at Wakulla Springs and you'll see alligators all over the place), and canals. Once in a while a gator will even emerge from a water hazard on a golf course!

The safest thing to do is to assume that any body of water larger than a rain puddle has at least one alligator living in it. Keep your dogs and your small children (and yourself, for that matter) away from lake shores unless it's a clearly marked swimming area. People swim all the time at Wakulla Springs, with alligators very obviously nearby, but the gators, I am told, never bother the swimmers.

As for the other critters, I've lived in Tallahassee for 17 years, and in all that time I've seen two small snakes (non poisonous) and zero poisonous spiders. Lots of lizards, but they are not harmful -- in fact, they eat the bugs you'd rather not have around. I have an exterminator service every six weeks (outside only), and once in a while a random cockroach will somehow find its way into the house, but no big problems. As for fire ants, watch where you walk outside and don't step on obvious ant hills.

Living in Florida, if you've only lived up north all your life, does take some getting used to. I'm not trying to discourage you from moving here -- Tallahassee is a great place to live -- but don't expect life here to be the same as it is up north. For one thing, you'll never have to shovel snow again!

Haha your post made me realize that the only times I went to Bear Paw and Wakulla Springs (and all bodies of water for that matter) was when my friends and I had been drinking significant amounts of alcohol. That could be the reason why I've never seen an alligator in my life! Lol

Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 AM

Thank you so much for such great info!!! Tallahassee does sound like a great place for me and my family - it's WARMER then here, no snow (you cannot believe how much I HATE the snow...35 years of it and I am DONE!!), good size city, but still smaller than where I live now, ocean within driving distance, etc. Oh, and again..NO SNOW!!!!!

My salary should transfer with me...so I am not worried about that. Hopefully being the COL is lower, it will give my husband a little more time to find a job. He is in supply chain logistics/managment...so a pretty common job.

Now to start looking at schools. Oooh..I really hope this opportunity comes for us. I need OUT.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
Thank you so much for such great info!!! Tallahassee does sound like a great place for me and my family - it's WARMER then here, no snow (you cannot believe how much I HATE the snow...35 years of it and I am DONE!!), good size city, but still smaller than where I live now, ocean within driving distance, etc. Oh, and again..NO SNOW!!!!!

My salary should transfer with me...so I am not worried about that. Hopefully being the COL is lower, it will give my husband a little more time to find a job. He is in supply chain logistics/managment...so a pretty common job.

Now to start looking at schools. Oooh..I really hope this opportunity comes for us. I need OUT.
For what it's worth, in my experience signing a lease from late June to early January will get you the best rates. February through June is when tons of students are switching leases and getting ready for August, so apartment complexes are charging premium rates during that time frame. After August is when apartments start lowering their rates in order to attract last minute renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee