U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,387 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving to Tallahassee from Greenville, SC. and are looking for the same sort of life style that we have had in Greenville.

We are looking for a great elementary school for our 7 year old and to rent/buy close to the school. Greenville offers a great YMCA system with many great activities for kids so we are looking for a sports club or similar that can offer similar activities for kids. My son is a swimmer and so we are looking for a great junior swim league of sorts in Tallahassee as well if anyone could recommend.
Our son is also in a Magnet bilingual school here in Greenville, does anyone know if there's such thing in Tallahassee? I know there is the [URL="https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&hs=aC3&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=sb&q=Alliance+Francaise&spell= 1&sa=X&ei=X0UPU9DLE4Xq0AHI4oD4BQ&ved=0CCQQvwUoAA "]Alliance Francaise[/URL] of Tallahassee but are there other options for language learning for kids? He also does Karate so I wonder if anyone could recommend a good Dojo, (mainly Wado Ryu or Shotokan styles).

We are having a lot of anxiety to move to Tallahassee because we know nothing of it and that here in Greenville though not our original home town, we've learned the importance of sense of community, specially for raising our son and would like to find that same thing in Tallahassee therefor making our transition easier. The only reason we are moving there is for job reasons, same reason we moved to Greenville five years ago. Our time in Greenville, SC is up and so we are looking for the similar things that we've liked about Greenville in Tallahassee, mainly the sense of community, great kids activities and great people.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:28 PM
TD*

1,608 posts, read 3,463,985 times
You will love Tallahassee welcome!

For swimming for your kids check out atac. Stands for area Tallahassee aquatic club

Also when I was a kid I swam at maclay after school it's a private school here that offered a swim team for anyone after school.

Look at Killearn, Southwood, Midtown, Buck lake areas for homes.

All if those areas have good schools close by.

If you choose to live in north east Tallahassee in Killearn, ox bottom , summerbrooke golden eagle or the bunches of ither neighborhoods you will have high quality elementary middle and high schools.

Although the other areas I listed have good schools also.

Lots of good schools.

Check out buck lake elementary

Gilchrist elementary

Desoto trail elementary

Hawks rise elementary

There are others just research Tallahassee schools

For schools try to get your kid into the school of arts and sciences

Also try fsu school. Also called Florida high or Florida state university schools it's a k-12 school but I think you have to pay as its semi private?

Also maclay school is private if your into that sort of thing.

Tallahassee has amazing parks and recreation and is surrounded by natural beauty... It is naturally hilly which you will appreciate living in the foothills .

Tallahassee has great quality of life, great local food and bars, great quality if life and isa. Great city for families.

I think you will love it.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at Lido Beach)
1,964 posts, read 4,046,310 times
This is an interesting thread. I know very little re Tallahassee but visit the Florida Panhandle yearly. The Destin/30-A areas are incredible with white sand and clear, emerald-green water (much better than any Atlantic beaches in South Carolina).

I live just south of downtown Greenville, SC - this place is a hidden gem (what an amazing downtown and Falls Park) - yes, the Upstate YMCA system is incredible (Caine Halter member here - it's like a resort!) - if there is anything I would miss moving to the FL panhandle (from Greenville), it would be our easy access to the NC mountains/Asheville and true 4 seasons.

My daughter swims for Team Greenville - as you know, competitive swimming is HUGE in Upstate SC - hope you find something similar.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 AM
TD*

I love Greenville,SC.

I have visited, and spent an entire day at falls park, and downtown walking the shops. I to, love the mountains, and appreciate the easy access to them.

Franklin, Tallahassee is very different from the rest of florida. It is built on 7 large hills, and has a great vibe from Florida State University, and its rapidly growing and expanding.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at Lido Beach)
1,964 posts, read 4,046,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
...Tallahassee is very different from the rest of florida. It is built on 7 large hills, and has a great vibe from Florida State University, and its rapidly growing and expanding...
I plan to go back to 30-A this Fall - I will make a point to stop in Tallahassee for lunch/dinner - Momo's Pizza looks great - I enjoy your posts re Tallahassee - thanks

Old 03-01-2014, 10:30 AM
TD*

Franklin. Momos Pizza is amazing! you will be impressed. Also save room for their own brand of Craft brews, and the various others on the rotating taps.

Tip: Go to the Killearn Village Square Location if you wanna skip the college crowds. If thats your vibe, and you appreciate the scenery, then hit up the college momos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee