Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

I see Tallahassee listed in a number of publications for lower cost living in Florida for both younger people as well as retirees. I have to say during a visit I was somewhat surprised at just how expensive it is, especially renting there. I really liked the city, so its not a dislike factor at all, but Im sorry Tallahassee is so far removed from other metro areas, and is not really one in itself to warrant the cost of living. I honestly do not see how a retiree could rent an apt in that community, and then I saw an article in the Tallahassee newspaper that addressed this subject. The article spoke of retired folk that rent in a over 55 complex and have had their rent go from $599 to $830 in one year for a 1 bedroom. One could rent an apt in Tampa cheaper than that and thats a large metro area. What bothered me more than the price of the rent was the ridiculous rent increase for people on a fixed income in such a short time span. I realize prices are going up in the country but is this type of ridiculous ripoffs the norm in Tallahassee. The article said these people could no longer afford their medications and had to look for jobs in a town where jobs for their age were next to impossible to find. The article also stated this ,that apts in Tallahassee are not locally owned, this one in question is owned by a Massachusetts company. Sounds like the rents would be more intune with Massachusetts than Tallahassee. Sorry to rant but I was really shocked by this for that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Its not all that bad man, I love it here.!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 32,215 times
Inflation, especially with a declining dollar, is a problem everywhere, not just in Tallahassee. Rent goes up, groceries go up, and so on. I think everwhere has had a sizable spike in expenses here lately.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:52 AM

6 posts, read 55,988 times
Florida sucks in general. I can't wait to relocate back up north where civil liberities of the people are taken seriously. Florida still has that slavedriver mentality. It obvious from the lack of laws that protect the people not big business. I been an unhappy resident of this state for almost 4 yrs. And can't wait to graduate with my Bach so I can get the hell out of here! A right work state? Not actually.. more like freedom to fire and abuse employees rights. Rent in florida is abuse as well. Property Managment Co. Increase your rent to what ever theu desire. There are no laws to protect the people from this abuse. I used to pay 650 a month when my lease was up they tried to milk me for 950 a month simply because...they are money hungry. Because people just sit about eating it. Good riddance florida!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:34 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Tallahassee is a little pricy for what it is, just my anecdotal evidence but my expenses here are actually MORE than Chicago, higher groceries (sorry but I don't buy walmart garbage, which along with publix and sams club is where most of people in this region shop), no public transportation, so forced to drive and have a car + insurance, higher electricity, rent is the same, alcohol and cigarettes are much cheaper, but, I don't drink or smoke so... jobs pay about 30% less across the board, but u keep more of your check, not even close enough to offset the salary difference though..... If you want local or organic food here, expect to pay a king's ransom for it (simple economics, not much demand, have to charge higher price and it isn't that fresh) The sticker shock on some of the items is jaw dropping and laughable, probably 3x more what I used to pay at Trader Joe's or a local grocer for instance, so I see why people don't eat much of that healthy food around here, no access to it at affordable prices!! I.E. *one* store that offers good local/organic/bulk/healthy food and 11 publixes, 6 winn dixies, 5 walmarts (with groceries), sams club, and costco. Same with FL... if you want lower cost of living go to other southern states, not FL. there are also cheaper places to live in the region.

On the other hand
If you are a big suburban style family, want a bigger house for your money and want good public schools and services for kids, buy big bulk at sams or walmart, you would probably save money here.

For retirees like you mentioned, or renters, or younger people (esp in industries which require a college education), you will probably pay significantly more, and make less $.

Tallahassee caters very well and specifically to bigger and married families with children who want a suburban quiet lifestyle, and students up to 22-23, which is the majority of the populous. If you do not fall into these categories you can probably have more fun, make more money, save more money and have a better life elsewhere.

Last edited by grapico; 06-13-2009 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 08:01 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
I agree that Florida has very few if any rights to protect the little guy. It is very much a red state, despite what happened in Obama's election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclectikSoul85 View Post
Florida sucks in general. I can't wait to relocate back up north where civil liberities of the people are taken seriously. Florida still has that slavedriver mentality. It obvious from the lack of laws that protect the people not big business. I been an unhappy resident of this state for almost 4 yrs. And can't wait to graduate with my Bach so I can get the hell out of here! A right work state? Not actually.. more like freedom to fire and abuse employees rights. Rent in florida is abuse as well. Property Managment Co. Increase your rent to what ever theu desire. There are no laws to protect the people from this abuse. I used to pay 650 a month when my lease was up they tried to milk me for 950 a month simply because...they are money hungry. Because people just sit about eating it. Good riddance florida!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Unhappy Florida does not really have worker protection laws

I agree that Florida has very few if any rights to protect the little guy. It is very much a red state, despite what happened in Obama's election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclectikSoul85 View Post

Old 07-04-2009, 08:10 PM

Default Tallahassee is outrageously expensive!

I lived in Miami which is thought of as one of the most expensive cities in the South. Here in Tallahassee, I pay 2/3 more for electricity. I almost passed out when I got my first bill!! Good food products (unless you want Walmart trash) are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive, over 50% higher compared with what I paid in Miami. About 60% of the products I purchased in Miami are simply NOT available here because there are neither distributors to bring those products here, nor does anyone buy them. I'm now having to order those products via UPS, which is RIDICULOUS! I feel like I'm living in Timbuktu. There is no bus system to speak of, unless you're willing to walk a lot in 103 degree weather to go from bus stop to house, and bus stop to work, and take a 2 hour bus trip plus the change between one bus and its connection. Everything is trees, which is nice, but it really isolates people and makes them turn into greater loners than they already must be. I'm desperately trying to figure out how people who move here deal with this. I imagine people who've always lived here don't know any better and have never lived any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Tallahassee is a little pricy for what it is, just my anecdotal evidence but my expenses here are actually MORE than Chicago, higher groceries (sorry but I don't buy walmart garbage, which along with publix and sams club is where most of people in this region shop), no public transportation, so forced to drive and have a car + insurance, higher electricity, rent is the same, alcohol and cigarettes are much cheaper, but, I don't drink or smoke so... jobs pay about 30% less across the board, but u keep more of your check, not even close enough to offset the salary difference though..... If you want local or organic food here, expect to pay a king's ransom for it (simple economics, not much demand, have to charge higher price and it isn't that fresh) The sticker shock on some of the items is jaw dropping and laughable, probably 3x more what I used to pay at Trader Joe's or a local grocer for instance, so I see why people don't eat much of that healthy food around here, no access to it at affordable prices!! I.E. *one* store that offers good local/organic/bulk/healthy food and 11 publixes, 6 winn dixies, 5 walmarts (with groceries), sams club, and costco. Same with FL... if you want lower cost of living go to other southern states, not FL. there are also cheaper places to live in the region.

On the other hand
If you are a big suburban style family, want a bigger house for your money and want good public schools and services for kids, buy big bulk at sams or walmart, you would probably save money here.

For retirees like you mentioned, or renters, or younger people (esp in industries which require a college education), you will probably pay significantly more, and make less $.

Tallahassee caters very well and specifically to bigger and married families with children who want a suburban quiet lifestyle, and students up to 22-23, which is the majority of the populous. If you do not fall into these categories you can probably have more fun, make more money, save more money and have a better life elsewhere.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:56 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
I think Tally and Gainesville have both been the two slowest real estate markets in the state over the last couple months. I've read that college towns often correct last when there is a housing bust. So maybe rents/prices will go down a bit shortly.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:32 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I lived in Miami which is thought of as one of the most expensive cities in the South. Here in Tallahassee, I pay 2/3 more for electricity. I almost passed out when I got my first bill!! Good food products (unless you want Walmart trash) are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive, over 50% higher compared with what I paid in Miami. About 60% of the products I purchased in Miami are simply NOT available here because there are neither distributors to bring those products here, nor does anyone buy them. I'm now having to order those products via UPS, which is RIDICULOUS! I feel like I'm living in Timbuktu. There is no bus system to speak of, unless you're willing to walk a lot in 103 degree weather to go from bus stop to house, and bus stop to work, and take a 2 hour bus trip plus the change between one bus and its connection. Everything is trees, which is nice, but it really isolates people and makes them turn into greater loners than they already must be. I'm desperately trying to figure out how people who move here deal with this. I imagine people who've always lived here don't know any better and have never lived any better.
You say you pay 2/3 more for electric in Tallahassee them Miami? How do you figure that. Tallahassee is around .13 while Miami is around .11. Is someone in Tallahassee forcing you to turn on every switch in the house? You say the cost of living is 50% higher then Miami. The true figures are that Miami is 17% higher then the national average while Tallahassee is 6% lower then the national average and 23% lower the Miami. You say can't buy 60% of the items in Tallahassee you can buy in Miami. Can you provide a few examples of these common items that are so foreign and impossible to get in Tallahassee? I am not arguing with you but the point is, people come here for information, hopefully accurate information. People who provide gross exaggerations and out and out lies don't serve the purpose of the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee